WTB seagate expansion drive 8 tb or more

looking for buying a seagate expansion drive in 8 tb or more space new or used anything works but in reasonable prices searched local market the prices are too high and the drives are oos on amazon...

What are the prices in the local market?
was 12500 for a seagate expansion 8 tb on saturday i had only 10k on me gave him advance 10k and told him that keep it aside will collect on monday and come monday he told me the prices shooted up and i had to pay 16k i argued and came back home didn't find drive else where went on wed to bargain at 14k he said the prices shooted up again and price now is 20 k

was 12500 for a seagate expansion 8 tb on saturday i had only 10k on me gave him advance 10k and told him that keep it aside will collect on monday and come monday he told me the prices shooted up and i had to pay 16k i argued and came back home didn't find drive else where went on wed to bargain at 14k he said the prices shooted up again and price now is 20 k

20k for 8tb, that’s insane pricing.

That's really scammy behaviour on behalf of the seller. The price doesn't shoot up between Saturday and Monday, after they've procured the product from the distributor. These places have price protections in place from distributor. They can ask for the product, keep it for x amount of days to sell for the agreed upon price, and they can return without penalty if there's no sale.

But that initial 12500 price was a really good deal. Seagate's 8TB Backup Plus were 14800 here (1000 more than Amazon) back in the middle of May when I thought about getting a few. The local shops here have taken to charging more than than online because they see the value in instant gratification, and they mention this clearly – you order online, it may come tomorrow, or next week, it may be damaged, there's supply issues because of lockdowns so why not pay a little more and get the product immediately? And I'm just staring right back at them in their faces. But that's their business model in light of low online prices.

i know but what can i do he is not gonna give it for less than 20 k and its not even new stock the manufacture date and import date on the box is nov 2020 so its way before the price hikes but still he is not willing to give it less than that 20 k and i know for sure that if i go to his shop tomorrow he will pump up the price even more

20k for 8tb, that’s insane pricing.

18k to 21k is 'standard' pricing for internal 8TB drives (primarily for CCTV) here in India. External drives are sold at a lower price to clear out excess inventory for the manufacturer (this is why shucking doesn't always guarantee a particular model). And they need to clear out inventory to learn about failures rates and then run the next batch of manufacturing.

HGST have publicly stated they don't do failure testing because it's so expensive. 1 Million MTBF (mean time between failures) means that one drive out of one million drives fail in one hour of testing. And instead HGST will silently introduce new model/technology at the older rating and will wait on market feedback and adjusts their MBTF accordingly. Sales of external drives help speed this process up. This is why Seagate's 16TB external is sold at half the price of the internal drive, even though they are the same model. They need the failure statistics, sales of the internal drive aren't happening in enough volume. The price difference at lower capacities like 4TB doesn't even exist because those models already have their failure statistics.

But yes @aslisuperman09 20k is an insane price jump from 12.5k a few days before. Is this the situation with other shops in your area? I'll try and see what local pricing is tomorrow here for you.

Chia Coin to blame - GPU, CPU and now Storage is affected due to mining :mad:

There's no achievable ROI for someone buying drives for Chia, not at the current network saturation and trading price. Anyone buying drives for Chia today is just throwing money away.

Last edited:
only one shop has the drive remaing all sellers in my city and another nearby city don't keep drives more than 2 tb in stock... and when they try to get one on order the pricing is around 17-20k depending on the shopkeeper

18k to 21k is 'standard' pricing for internal 8TB drives (primarily for CCTV) here in India. External drives are sold at a lower price to clear out excess inventory for the manufacturer (this is why shucking doesn't always guarantee a particular model). And they need to clear out inventory to learn about failures rates and then run the next batch of manufacturing.

HGST have publicly stated they don't do failure testing because it's so expensive. 1 Million MBTF (mean time between failures) means that one drive out of one million drives fail in one hour of testing. And instead HGST will silently introduce new model/technology at the older rating and will wait on market feedback and adjusts their MBTF accordingly. Sales of external drives help speed this process up. This is why Seagate's 16TB external is sold at half the price of the internal drive, even though they are the same model. They need the failure statistics, sales of the internal drive aren't happening in enough volume. The price difference at lower capacities like 4TB doesn't even exist because those models already have their failure statistics.

But yes @aslisuperman09 20k is an insane price jump from 12.5k a few days before. Is this the situation with other shops in your area? I'll try and see what local pricing is tomorrow here for you.

There's no achievable ROI for someone buying drives for Chia, not at the current network saturation and trading price. Anyone buying drives for Chia today is just throwing money away.

Got it thanks for the explanation. Also if I may ask, can these cctv surveillance drives be used in PC for normal data storage. Is there any downside to it?

HGST have publicly stated they don't do failure testing because it's so expensive. 1 Million MTBF (mean time between failures) means that one drive out of one million drives fail in one hour of testing. And instead HGST will silently introduce new model/technology at the older rating and will wait on market feedback and adjusts their MBTF accordingly. Sales of external drives help speed this process up. This is why Seagate's 16TB external is sold at half the price of the internal drive, even though they are the same model. They need the failure statistics, sales of the internal drive aren't happening in enough volume. The price difference at lower capacities like 4TB doesn't even exist because those models already have their failure statistics.

Indeed, same with crypto as well, (bitcoin is a blip with inconsistent spikes).

Also if I may ask, can these cctv surveillance drives be used in PC for normal data storage. Is there any downside to it?
An average everyday user might not find any appreciable difference but technically speaking doing this is not recommended. Surveillance drives are optimized more for writes rather than reads (which makes sense because a bunch of cameras write a lot of data 24x7 but you won't be accessing it much). So you might face significant issues due to this imbalance because desktops generally put an equal load in terms of reads and writes.

Got it thanks for the explanation. Also if I may ask, can these cctv surveillance drives be used in PC for normal data storage. Is there any downside to it?
I using a 4TB WD purple surveillance drive in my PC for more than 3 years... No problem until now. I m using that just for storage.

Know a sparingly used 8TB Seagate expansion used only for backup.
Will check if it's available for sale and confirm.
Its 2017 purchase, since i ordered for him.

PM me your best offer while i get the statistics and drive uptime.

Back