PC Peripherals SeaSonic S12 II 620W - RMA Possible ? EDIT: Yes

I think that this problem is similar to the one which I faced last year with a Tacens (FSP OEM) PSU. but in my case the PSU was burnt, it also affected the motherboard. I had the psu repaired locally and board rma'ed (serviced) by gigabyte. idk if the board was burnt but it was half-dead. didn't boot sometimes. I also used a UPS+stab. but it happened out of the blue when I thought that everything was fine. anyone know what could have went wrong? being the electric nOOb i always thought that ups+stab would prevent any electric voltage unless the PSU is a really bad one. I didn't even OC and system was a basic G620 pentium with no GPU. I haven't checked the serviced-board yet nor the other components like HDD. now that I think about it I'll do it once I get back to Delhi. *fingers crossed*[DOUBLEPOST=1408282017][/DOUBLEPOST]I asked the MD guy on twitter and he replied back " It's a case of burnt PSU not covered
under standard terms. We have informed Seasonic
and awaiting their advice." I suggest you to be a little patient and wait before you do anything else.

Last edited:
Update:

I got a call from Tirupati MD about this few mins back. First thing, person is helpful and technically knowledgeable.

Tirupati have already done their part of escalating the case to Seasonic considering a rare case of burning in which even connector have melted.

As per Seasonic, my HDD should also have been damaged in this case, which have not. There is single rail for +3.3/5V and if it have gone bad all devices connected to it should have been damaged - valid point from Seasonic here.

Now I will be getting reply by EOD today about the outcome of the case. Fingers crossed.

During the interaction with him also got to know that in case of RMA, Seasonic provides brand new SMPS - no refurbished/repaired.

Also definitely feel better after this conversation, faith in Tirupati restored at the moment.

As per Seasonic, my HDD should also have been damaged in this case, which have not. There is single rail for +3.3/5V and if it have gone bad all devices connected to it should have been damaged - valid point from Seasonic here.
Thats completely incorrect :
- Even though there is a single rail, devices are connected in parallel, not serially. Only voltage equally affects all devices in a parallel connection, but this was a current issue (which affects only the device with the huge current draw). Plastic connectors burn due to excessive current (This is why they replaced those burning PCI-e cables on those X series units with better ones that could handle higher current draw.)
- Since you have no plans to RMA the SSD, you can probably pop open the SSD case and see what the situation is inside. If there's no damage inside, it means all the current was flowing through the pins on the connector, i.e. a short circuit.
- The rail did not go bad, it's designed to supply up to 24A on the 5V rail, and it probably did when the connector shorted out - except these connectors are probably designed for a max of 10A keeping in mind that an SSD will use only 1~2A max. What did fail is that the protection circuitry did not recognise the current spike to be a short circuit.

Congos mate!! Hope from now onwards your psu works really good. :)

Good thinking (logically) by seasonic on their part and finally issuing a replacement. :angelic:

For tirupati, its a lessons learnt that henceforth if similar issues arise, they should at least read the emails and view the images @ full capacity to actually zero down to what the customer is trying to convey. And hope their process 'll be smoother for next time sufferers. :dead:

Back