Second monitor not detected after switch off and on. Nvidia RTX3060.

EHH

Disciple
Recently switched to Nvidia RTX3060 from AMD.
Running 2 monitor setup, 24" (DP to HDMI adapter) 1920x1080p and 29" Ultrawide (HDMI) 2560x1080p (Main Display).
I usually switch off the monitors when I am not at workstation.
Back at work station switching on the monitors, only 29" Ultrawide is detected and not 24" monitor unless I unplug and re-plug the adapter from HDMI cable connecting 24" monitor.
Also 29" Ultrawide screen display shrinks in height, though the Windows Display setting shows resolution as 2560x1080.

Windows display and Nvidia control panel shows only 29" Ultrawide monitor.

This also happens when my PC auto starts in the morning (RTC Alarm), unplug n re-plug solves the problem.

Win+P > Extend doesn't work.

After unplug n re-plug, Windows display and Nvidia control panel shows both the monitors with correct resolution.

AMD didn't have this problem. (Already missing my good old AMD).

Any permanent solution ?

ADD: Just noticed if I run only 29" Ultrawide via Win+P > PC, the display height shrinks. Same happens if 24" is left unpluged.

Last edited:
Try connecting without adapter. Connect DP to DP and HDMI to HDMI.

Sometimes, adapters can cause issues in detection which cannot be explained (there is a reason and explanation but generally it gets too technical).

I had a HDMI display which I wanted to connect to MacBook Air 2014 (?). I tried a MiniDP to HDMI converter and then used a HDMI cable. It didn't work, just black screen. Then I purchased a MiniDP to HDMI cable, it worked flawlessly. The mini DP adapter is also working flawlessly in a different setup.

Try mixing and matching cables, something might work.

Also, try DDU uninstall in safe mode and reinstall.

Try connecting without adapter. Connect DP to DP and HDMI to HDMI.

Sometimes, adapters can cause issues in detection which cannot be explained (there is a reason and explanation but generally it gets too technical).

I had a HDMI display which I wanted to connect to MacBook Air 2014 (?). I tried a MiniDP to HDMI converter and then used a HDMI cable. It didn't work, just black screen. Then I purchased a MiniDP to HDMI cable, it worked flawlessly. The mini DP adapter is also working flawlessly in a different setup.

Try mixing and matching cables, something might work.

Also, try DDU uninstall in safe mode and reinstall.
24" has DVI-D, VGA, HDMI
29" has HDMIx2
GPU has HDMIx1, DPx3
So stuck.

This is a bit common thing.
I also have a 3060ti and sometimes after unlocking my system or waking up from suspend mode, the secondary monitor goes amber/no display. Its a vga connected via a convertor but dont know why this happens buy if I use a pure hdmi secondary monitor, it works just fine.

Seems these connectors doesn't seem to work fine 100% and is a hit or miss.

I even opened a thread sometime last year for my issue.

This is a bit common thing.
I also have a 3060ti and sometimes after unlocking my system or waking up from suspend mode, the secondary monitor goes amber/no display. Its a vga connected via a convertor but dont know why this happens buy if I use a pure hdmi secondary monitor, it works just fine.

Seems these connectors doesn't seem to work fine 100% and is a hit or miss.

I even opened a thread sometime last year for my issue.
I have seen same ditto issue on my hdmi to vga converter. I believe OP like others suggested it is most likely the converter maybe the culprit. If you can test any other monitor, then maybe you will find out on the faulty part.

I tinkered with several options in NVIDIA Control / Windows Display setting / Monitor utility etc, and it is working OK as of now. Dint change cable etc.

Back