Less than 10K Secondary Smart Phone

Onemufc

Skilled
Well , Since my flagship S3 is not flagship anymore and it is persisting with issues, I have decided to invest in a good backup phone.

Budget is at max 10K. Will not be extending this.

I read a lot into Lumia 520 and there are people who hate it and people who are using it with acceptable level. Updates look like till Jan 2015 so that looks good.

1. Budget?
A: 10K
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar
3. Preferred display type?
A: NA
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No Samsung
5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen
6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Required.
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G.
9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Good calling ability, Email, Music
10. Any other requirements?
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Nokia Lumia 520

Lumia 520 is good and i think you can get it for 9k locally. You have to ask around! I have personally played with that phone and ts pretty solid. The only gripe i had with it was the battery life. You get a 1430mAh battery and it will only last a day so you will have to charge it each night! Light to moderate usage might get you through the day. Since this is your secondary phone may i ask what is your primary?

oh ok!
Compared to android WP8 is very limited in apps. However i feel that WP8 is very very good for basic calling, emails and the occasional social networking. It hardly lags and the interface is very easy to learn. So if you are ok with the simplicity of WP8 go for the Lumia 520. :) If you do get it at around 8.5k think about purchasing a portable charger from Nokia 2000mAh for Rs 1200!

After using android, you will find the lack of customizability disappointing in WP8... But if you want a no frills phone with basic smartphone capabilities, its fine i guess...

Battery life is strictly one day though, not much higher than s3...

I am a 520 user , so I can say this. As a secondary phone 520 is unbeatable! For me battery lasts 1-2 days with ease and it has fluid UI.
It handles all basic tasks well. Whatsapp is also fine, though it is dicey at times..

The apps are fine but the overall OS also needs to be updated.

If I buy a 10K android phone today. I am very sure after a year it will be on same OS number.

o.t. but i bought a defy+ 2yrs back and i've seen 2.3, 2.3.2, 4.0, 4.1.2, 4.2.2, 4.3... it does not matter how much the phone costs, just make sure it's popular with quarx/kayant/blechosde/epsilon... on XDA .

btw xolo q800 & q700 are popular on xda.

Last edited:
Back