Seeking feedback for a tool that automates admin method

obviyus

Recruit
Hi,

Been seeing a few threads concerning potential fraud by members like these:
- https://techenclave.com/threads/wha...ing-at-buyers-risk-on-the-sale-thread.219186/
- https://techenclave.com/threads/ongoing-deal-with-a-member-declared-fraudulent.219563/

I have found the admin method on Facebook groups to be a great way to protect buyers from being scammed. However there have been a few posts complaining about admin availability + delays in releasing payment to seller. What are your thoughts on a tool that basically automates this process? Something like an escrow:
1713767007272.png

Any potential issues with this idea? The biggest issue I forsee is dispute resolution. Payments will be completely automated and funds released only when the buyer approves the product they received.

Would love to hear your suggestions on this tool!

Note: Not promoting anything, just a discussion for a potential solution to the problems faced by members.

And how will the "Escrow" happen ? Who or what takes the responsibility ?
So in the ideal case the buyer makes payment to the platform and the seller receives it automatically once the buyer approves the transaction.

In case of a dispute we will need to have human intervention. We will need to have some guidelines in place, here's an example: https://libraryguides.missouri.edu/c.php?g=557240&p=3832247

On Facebook groups it usually goes like this:
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 12.31.15 PM.png

A combination of recording the packaging by seller and a recording of unboxing by the buyer. This still does not take into account cases where the seller fakes an invoice / warranty which might not come up until much later. Open to ideas.

Guys let this remain a Tech forum with buy/Sell as a secondary or even tertiary purpose based more on goodwill and faith. lets not make this a full blown marketplace. as it is the entire world is into selling something or the other nowadays(Including agendas).
I hear your concerns but I'm not proposing any changes to TE itself. Just a tool that is available to the people that happen to engage in the tertiary aspects of this forum. In any case, this is simply a discussion seeking feedback from potentially interested users

And what is this "platform" ? My earlier question remains unanswered.
Well, that's what the tool / website itself will be. Something simple with a payment gateway.
Who or what takes that responsibility ?
You raise a very good point. That's the troubling part. There will have to be a reputable and transparent set of people that can be relied on to handle disputes. I'm not saying I have all the answers but would love to hear your suggestions on solving this.

Well, that's what the tool / website itself will be. Something simple with a payment gateway.

You raise a very good point. That's the troubling part. There will have to be a reputable and transparent set of people that can be relied on to handle disputes. I'm not saying I have all the answers but would love to hear your suggestions on solving this.
The example of Facebook Seller Groups you are using are really meant to be selling platforms with Admins being available online throughout the day. TE is not meant to be one. The Buy/Sell here is really an add-on for members to offload extra stuff. The Mods here work on a part time basis as and when they are free. While your suggestions are welcome (and its not the first time something like this has been put forward) but they would really require manual intervention, no to mention, the time/effort/financial investment which is not just possible here and, probably, not going to happen either.
As mentioned above, enjoy TE for Tech discussions and knowledge exchanges and continue to look at the Facebook Groups for specific Buy/Sell needs.

The example of Facebook Seller Groups you are using are really meant to be selling platforms with Admins being available online throughout the day. TE is not meant to be one. The Buy/Sell here is really an add-on for members to offload extra stuff. The Mods here work on a part time basis as and when they are free. While your suggestions are welcome (and its not the first time something like this has been put forward) but they would really require manual intervention, no to mention, the time/effort/financial investment which is not just possible here and, probably, not going to happen either.
As mentioned above, enjoy TE for Tech discussions and knowledge exchanges and continue to look at the Facebook Groups for specific Buy/Sell needs.
I completely understand and I did not mean to suggest this being in any way a part of TE. I anticipate the buy / sell FB groups to be the main users of this tool.

The only reason I posted it here was to get feedback from the (excellent) community. Thanks again for your feedback ❤️

It's a good idea. But this is already how everything from ebay to alibaba works, right? It's automated for the optimistic case where everyone plays fair and for the other cases, they take all responsibility and make guarantees to the buyer so they can do zero / very little vetting of the seller. And for all of that work / significant risk they take on, they take a cut of the profit the seller makes.

You could try running this at a small scale as an automated service. But the initial vetting / conflict resolution will prove to be a lot of work, until you're basically running a business that requires full time employees.

I miss Ebay India. I think we could always use another marketplace like this or any number of them. You should try it.

The biggest issue I forsee is dispute resolution.
That is not just the biggest issue, it is the only issue. Without dispute there is no need for all this in the first place. Admin method is a lot of hassle not to mention admin is also taking on legal risk because in case matter escalated too much the victim party will file a case against admin too for colluding with other party.

I miss Ebay India. I think we could always use another marketplace like this or any number of them.
Ebay India was killed by greedy buyers & sellers & proved once & for all that such things don't work here. Similar thing also happened in ecomm where fraud buyers/sellers made amazon/flipkart service went downhill.

Back