Sell old AC or keep using it

lazyman

Disciple
Have a 6 year old LG 1.5 ton AC which will go out of warranty this year. Wondering what would be better in terms of cost:
1. keep using it till it dies and then give it away as scrap
2. keep using it and repair when it malfunctions
3. sell it off

the LG official servicemen said I would just get ₹ 3504 for it. What would you guys recommend?

If it has a copper coil , then have it cleaned every year and keep it till it fails , if coil is aluminium then keep or sell as per resale value .

Why would you sell a perfectly working appliance just because it is out of warranty. There won't be much difference in the price you get whether you sell it now or after using it for a couple of more years.

6 year old doesn’t seem to be too old or enough to get sufficient benefits in power consumption. And the amount mentioned seems too low.

Personally I have been keeping appliances for 8 years and then waits for a good exchange offer.

Nobody will give you a good price for a 6 years old AC.
If it's working fine then use it till it dies. Get it repaired if something goes faulty but don't spend more than 2k except for gas refill (only if every other component is working fine).
You sell it to anyone including LG or scrap dealer you'll only get Rs. 4000 and may be 4500 if lucky. even if you sell it after 2 more seasons price remains the same.
So Rs. 4000 +
you can also sell copper pipe fitting separately if it's a split AC. Copper rate varies a little from scrap dealer to dealer.

Unless your maintenance costs outdoes the cost of the AC, I see no point in getting a new AC.
My Hitachi AC leaked gas almost every month, use or not. Also it couldn't cool below 25C even under max settings. Decided to sell it off, despite being a good AC, bad manufacturing.

Have a 6 year old LG 1.5 ton AC which will go out of warranty this year. Wondering what would be better in terms of cost:
3. sell it off

the LG official servicemen said I would just get ₹ 3504 for it. What would you guys recommend?
depends on how much you use, if usage is about 8 hours or less don't even think about it. if you want to run like 14-16 hours a day you might break even the costs in electricity savings in about 2-3 years.

honestly if its running i see no point to change.

3. sell it off

My personal experience lends me to believe that if you maintain the ac with proper AMC's most of the times the ac serves you well for 15 years comfortably.
Unless you are finding a drop in performance of cooling, or finding that you want to switch out for a more electricity efficient unit, I strongly suggest keeping a good maintenance schedule and use the ac for its life span. You may get a lot more out of your ac that way.

I have a 15year old 1 ton LG ac in my parents' room. Sees usage for 2months a year during summer for 4~8hours every night, still working well. Just needs a yearly service. No point in selling a perfectly working AC.

Back