Budget 71-90K Semi High End AMD Based Gaming Rig

Rahooligan

Recruit
Hi TechEnclave.

My name's Rahul, i've been a pc gamer/enthusiast for years now but haven't been gaming at all lately. Considered getting back into it and i'm going to be putting together my build sometime this week.

As of right now, this is what I have considered -> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2n7fxr

Feel free to suggest/question/criticize anything you like/dislike about the same.

I am very indecisive about the PSU, Motherboard and Cabinet.

My purpose for the system is purely for gaming, partially work-based.

1. What is your budget?
    • 75-85k
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • None
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • None
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - AMD 8320 - Piledriver Series 8 Core Processor (Rs. 10200 - Snapdeal)
    • Motherboard - Asus M5A97 R 2.0 (Rs. 6600 - Local Retail)
    • GPU - XFX R9 280X TDFD (Rs. 23000 - Amazon.in)
    • PSU - Seasonic M12II 850W (Rs. 8600 - Snapdeal) - Reason I opted for this is because I want to crossfire in the near future.
    • RAM - Kingston Hyper X 1600 - 4gbx2 (Rs. 5600 - Local Retail)
    • HDD - Seagate 1 TB (Rs. 3500)
    • SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 120GB (Rs. 5000 - Snapdeal)
    • Cabinet - Nzxt Phantom 410 (Rs. 6500 - Hardwire.in)
    • Monitor - BenQ RL2455 1080P 24 Inch (Rs. 13500 - Flipkart)
    • CPU Cooler - Cooler Master 212 Hyper X (Rs. 2900 - Local Retail)
  1. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Online mostly
    • Local Retail
  2. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE MARKET
    • Maybe
  3. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • HD Streaming
    • Low-tier work
  4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Good customer support, warranty and RMA come first.
  5. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • A lot of RTS - Civilization, SC2
    • A lot of Moba - Dota 2
    • Quiet a bit of FPS - Battlefield 4, Bioshock, Borderlands, TF2,
  6. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1920x1080
    2. Desktop - 1920x1080
  7. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes
  8. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 8.

• CPU - AMD 8320 - Piledriver Series 8 Core Processor (Rs. 10200 - Snapdeal)
  • Motherboard - Asus M5A97 R 2.0 (Rs. 6600 - Local Retail)
  • GPU - XFX R9 280X TDFD (Rs. 23000 - Amazon.in)
  • PSU - Seasonic M12II 850W (Rs. 8600 - Snapdeal) - Reason I opted for this is because I want to crossfire in the near future.
  • RAM - Kingston Hyper X 1600 - 4gbx2 (Rs. 5600 - Local Retail)
  • HDD - Seagate 1 TB (Rs. 3500)
  • SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 120GB (Rs. 5000 - Snapdeal)
  • Cabinet - Nzxt Phantom 410 (Rs. 6500 - Hardwire.in)
  • Monitor - BenQ RL2455 1080P 24 Inch (Rs. 13500 - Flipkart)
  • CPU Cooler - Cooler Master 212 Hyper X (Rs. 2900 - Local Retail)
Good config you have chosen.Go with it.

AMD CPUs and gaming don't go together these days. If you really wish to game, get an Intel processor. AMD GPUs on the other hand are great.

Still finding it so hard to find this case in particular. Never on sale in India. The only shop that has it is Hardwire and they're asking for a week-10 days to ship.

Anyone have any suggestions about finding this in Chennai?

There are 2 versions of the Asus M5A97. Make sure you don't get the 'lite' - LE one.
And since you're going to Crossfire, I'd suggest spending 3-4k more and getting a 990 chipset board.

There'll be a difference only in crossfire configurations.
But IMO, these days crossfire is only useful in multi-monitor set-ups or on 3D monitors. And it'll only make sense if you buy a second card within a few months. A second card will give you about a 1.6x FPS boost, but a next generation card 1-2 years from now should give you a similar boost, more features, lesser headaches, at a lower power draw.
If you want to crossfire, then get a 990fx chipset based board. They'll let the cards run at full speed, and will be better overclockers, if that's something you want to do.

But be aware that a similarly priced Intel i5 will be better for gaming than an AMD 8320, and will consume less power while performing better. Intel chipsets also support PCIe 3, while AMD's still stuck on PCIe 2.

FYI - All my machines have had AMD CPU's, and my next CPU will probably be a 6350 or an 8320 or something else from that series, but only because it'll be a pop in replacement for my current AM3+ CPU. The AM3 socket has reached it's end of life, and there will be no future upgrades, so IMO buying an 8320 isn't a good idea, unless you already own an AM3+ motherboard. Or you love AMD.

Problem is, already bought it. Lol.

Maybe my next upgrade will be a swing over to i5. Anyway I've looked to build future proof, so when I do change mobo/psu, all my other components should function fine with any upgrades I make, hopefully.

I do plan on cross firing sometime in December, although now i'm re-thinking everything after all the suggestions I'm hearing. Problem is, i've already picked up half the components and overexceeded my budget by quiet a bit as well.

Don't go for that board if you plan for a CFX later. IMO, a Intel combo will be much better in your budget. I'll suggest to get these;

Intel i5 4690K - 15.8K
Asus Z97-A - 12K
Kingston Hyper-X Fury/Blu - 5.6K
WD 1TB Blue/Seagate 1TB(make sure it is 7200.14) - 3.5K
Intel 520 120GB SSD - 4.7K
Seasonic M12II 850 - 8.5K
Sapphire R9 280X Dual-X OC - 22K
Dell S2240L - 8.5K
Nzxt H230/Corsair 230T - 5K OR a Nzxt Source 530 at 6K full you want a full tower.

Skip the cooler for now, later on invest on a good one & overclock.

Back