Sempron 140 advice needed

siril_k

Adept
hi, i am planning to build a rig which would be at very very low cost (its mainly for my store for daily activities, movies n light gaming occasionally)
i have planned to buy these components:

Processor : Sempron 140 2.7ghz am3.
Motherboard : Biostar A785ge v6.4.

i will be using 2gb ram, psu, cabinet etc from my old pc lying around.

My doubt is can SEMPRON 140 be unlocked to dual core with Biostar A785ge, if it can be unlocked does it need any extra cooling other than stock cooler (i wont be overclocking it at all).

I know unlocking and stability not guaranteed but i can give it a try as i need cheap processor solution as it will not be used on a heavy apps.

Yes... No need for any additional cooling...

I've unlocked my brothers Sempron 140 & it still is quite cool. It unlocks into Athlon II X2 4400e... which shares the same TDP of 45w of Sempron 140..

Shakensoul said:
If you plan to run 720p or higher movies, the Sempron might not be able to handle it, otherwise it should play normal rips fine.
That's not correct.. I played even 1080p even before unlocking with ~50-60% CPU usage...

These Sempron 140's are clocked @ 2.7 Ghz & works great...

HailStonE said:

I've unlocked my brothers Sempron 140 & it still is quite cool. It unlocks into Athlon II X2 4400e... which shares the same TDP of 45w of Sempron 140..
Are you sure mate,that the dual core sempron has TDP of 45W,aint all new dual core athlon have 65W TDP?

HailStonE said:
That's not correct.. I played even 1080p even before unlocking with ~50-60% CPU usage...

Was it using the onboard video or dedicated video card?

HailStonE said:

Wow that sure is an achievement if that's true! My roommate has an Athlon II X2 240 and a 785G chipset motherboard and 720p runs okay'ish with the IGP.

HailStonE said:

Can you mention the batch number of sempron,even i need to try my luck...;)

sri_k said:
Are you sure mate,that the dual core sempron has TDP of 45W,aint all new dual core athlon have 65W TDP?

Nope.. 4400e is from the energy efficient series of Athlon X2 which was never released in India... They have a TDP of 45watts unlike regular Athlon X2 which has 65w TDP...
Shakensoul said:
Was it using the onboard video or dedicated video card?

It was on an ASRock mobo with nVidia 7025 chipset. I don't think this chipset supports hardware acceleration of FUll HD 1080p at all... There is no discreet GPU involved...
Desecrator said:
Wow that sure is an achievement if that's true! My roommate has an Athlon II X2 240 and a 785G chipset motherboard and 720p runs okay'ish with the IGP.
Even I was surprised... I wasn't expecting a Sempron single core to decode Full HD 1080p. I checked with some older encodes as well which were not L4.1 compliant & still they run smoothly.... This is ASRock N68C-UCC mobo with DDR3 RAM. Don't know if faster RAM helped or not :S

There must be something wrong with your friend's setup since Athlon X2 240 is more than enough to decode HD all by itself. The 780g helps a lot though since its UVD 2.0 compliant & supports 100% hardware acceleration of x264, & BluRay's... Tell him to check configuration & settings....

i am using sempron 140 in my desktop(without unlocking+740g). it can play videos upto 12mbps(720p or 1080p) perfectly beyond that video becomes choppy.i think with 785 it can easily play bluray disks which have bitrate of 40mbps.

siril_k said:
hi, i am planning to build a rig which would be at very very low cost (its mainly for my store for daily activities, movies n light gaming occasionally)

i have planned to buy these components:

Processor : Sempron 140 2.7ghz am3.

Motherboard : Biostar A785ge v6.4.

i will be using 2gb ram, psu, cabinet etc from my old pc lying around.

My doubt is can SEMPRON 140 be unlocked to dual core with Biostar A785ge, if it can be unlocked does it need any extra cooling other than stock cooler (i wont be overclocking it at all).

I know unlocking and stability not guaranteed but i can give it a try as i need cheap processor solution as it will not be used on a heavy apps.
cut the unlocking part and get an athlon II x2 250(or anything available around 3k)

and get Biostar A780L mobo@2.6k

same budget , better performance combo

without unlocking and all

p.s.

i don't understand why people dont recommend the a780l mobo to anyone on budget

ignorance maybe ;)

funkysourav said:
cut the unlocking part and get an athlon II x2 250(or anything available around 3k)
and get Biostar A780L mobo@2.6k

same budget , better performance combo
without unlocking and all

p.s.
i don't understand why people dont recommend the a780l mobo to anyone on budget
ignorance maybe ;)
i got a785ge for 2.7k and as of now i am not on heavy apps, even gaming would be like dx 9 games so 4200 igp best for now, sempron 140 as it can be unlocked to X2 at half price.

will get x4/x6+gpu in future if reqd.

siril_k said:
i got a785ge for 2.7k and as of now i am not on heavy apps, even gaming would be like dx 9 games so 4200 igp best for now, sempron 140 as it can be unlocked to X2 at half price.

will get x4/x6+gpu in future if reqd.

Though you may unlock it second core but no guarantee that second core will be functioning normally,with dual core you get what you pay for...;)

sri_k said:
Though you may unlock it second core but no guarantee that second core will be functioning normally,with dual core you get what you pay for...;)
yes u r right but i am looking at sempron as a gamble X2 would cost me 3k while sempron 1.5k so currently its worth for me.
lottery if gets stable unlock...

Back