Sennheiser HD 598 SE Over-Ear Headphones (Black) @ 6500

Got the headphone. To be brutally honest, its a great deal for 6.5k. However if I was paying full msrp for this, I'd be really really disappointed.

The Audiotechnica MSR7 at 12k totally obliterates it in performance stakes. Way more resolution, much cleaner, much tigher bass, no sennheiser veil.

Have to admit though that the headphone is supremely comfortable. One can wear it for hours and not feel anything.

glad i missed this deal. if i did then i'd have spent 6k for something i can do without :(
Same. One of those moments when you feel bad about missing a great deal and at the same time don't want to buy something which you don't really need even if they come with a huge discount. :/[DOUBLEPOST=1448856790][/DOUBLEPOST]
Got the headphone. To be brutally honest, its a great deal for 6.5k. However if I was paying full msrp for this, I'd be really really disappointed.

The Audiotechnica MSR7 at 12k totally obliterates it in performance stakes. Way more resolution, much cleaner, much tigher bass, no sennheiser veil.
How is the bass and wire-sleeving quality?[DOUBLEPOST=1448857062][/DOUBLEPOST]
I happened to come across the deal at 1:00AM on Amazon and glad that I resisted myself. Was happy in the morning to see it's gone ! :D
Hey man can i buy some of your optimistic attitude? Really need it. I will pay you the full price. :p

Last edited:

Have to admit though that the headphone is supremely comfortable. One can wear it for hours and not feel anything.

I would like to disagree with you man. There is a distinct difference between closed back and open headphones. And ofcourse not every headphone is suitable for everyone because of different listening genres and strengths of headphones.

And although I do not own MSR7, but I own ATH-M50X (and AD700 which is more closer to Sennheiser sound signature than 50x) and have heard the MSR7, I personally could not pick a winner since their sound signature is simply different. For most songs I felt senns were better.

Oh and I believe you have not yet burned in the new headphone??? Give it atleast 40 hours of pink noise man...

Edit : Oh, Hi btw, long time no see, :D

I would like to disagree with you man. There is a distinct difference between closed back and open headphones. And ofcourse not every headphone is suitable for everyone because of different listening genres and strengths of headphones.

And although I do not own MSR7, but I own ATH-M50X (and AD700 which is more closer to Sennheiser sound signature than 50x) and have heard the MSR7, I personally could not pick a winner since their sound signature is simply different. For most songs I felt senns were better.

Oh and I believe you have not yet burned in the new headphone??? Give it atleast 40 hours of pink noise man...

Edit : Oh, Hi btw, long time no see, :D

Its put on 20 hours or so now and is significantly better. However with the same source (CA Dacmagic) & Amp (Darkvoice 336SE/Marantz PM5004 headphone out), the MSR7 still sounds better to my ears.

To put the record straight - I hate the sound signature of the M50 so I'd not put it even in the comparison. The deal with the MSR7 is that it is so accurate - the sound signature changes massively with what source and amp is feeding it.

MSR7 absolutely needs tubes. If you feed it with a solid state amp, it might sound grainy and harsh while the 598 will probably still sound alright. Also unlike most closed back cans, the MSR7 has a gigantic soundstage. Not sure how AT managed to pull that off in a closed back.

Received mine as well.
ed3dcf954a56c3452afb0aa1a3ae41da.jpg

84ce6f0159f41b3cf0bee17a9009aeec.jpg

Man,i currently use a apple earpods can anyone suggest anything better? Budget 2.5-7k
And whats the difference between over the ear,in ear and what exactly is noise cancellation?

Sorry for being offtopic but i am dumb

Man,i currently use a apple earpods can anyone suggest anything better? Budget 2.5-7k
And whats the difference between over the ear,in ear and what exactly is noise cancellation?

Sorry for being offtopic but i am dumb

Over ear: Completely covers your ears. Think of it as a shell you wear over your ear.
On ears: Fits over your ear canals. Can get uncomfortable if you have large/ weird ears (like me).
In ears: Fits into your ear canal. Like those headsets you get with mobiles.

You can probably check here and click on 'Wearing Styles' to get an idea of the different styles
http://en-in.sennheiser.com/headphones

Noise cancelling: Can be active or passive.
http://ravallirepublic.com/business/technology/article_d4f3c531-f51a-5f05-a38b-68371433cb2f.html

Your apple earbuds are in-ear and don't have noise cancellation. Unless you listed to music in a busy environment (train, bus, noisy airplane etc.), you probably don't need noise cancellation.

As for the recommendation, I would suggest you make a separate thread on the Audio zone sub-forum. My recommendation would Brainwavz.

http://www.amazon.in/Brainwavz-BWAVZ-PA-ProAlpha-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B004JHVJ5A/

Been using the 598 for three days and I am loving mine. Seriously the sheer comfort is what seals the deal for me.

Probably would have checked Amazon.in (like I do everyday) for the frontpage deal, but even then, I followed the link @avi posted on this thread first, so owe him a beer if I ever meet him. :)

Over ear: Completely covers your ears. Think of it as a shell you wear over your ear.
On ears: Fits over your ear canals. Can get uncomfortable if you have large/ weird ears (like me).
In ears: Fits into your ear canal. Like those headsets you get with mobiles.

You can probably check here and click on 'Wearing Styles' to get an idea of the different styles
http://en-in.sennheiser.com/headphones

Noise cancelling: Can be active or passive.
http://ravallirepublic.com/business/technology/article_d4f3c531-f51a-5f05-a38b-68371433cb2f.html

Your apple earbuds are in-ear and don't have noise cancellation. Unless you listed to music in a busy environment (train, bus, noisy airplane etc.), you probably don't need noise cancellation.

As for the recommendation, I would suggest you make a separate thread on the Audio zone sub-forum. My recommendation would Brainwavz.

http://www.amazon.in/Brainwavz-BWAVZ-PA-ProAlpha-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B004JHVJ5A/

Been using the 598 for three days and I am loving mine. Seriously the sheer comfort is what seals the deal for me.

Probably would have checked Amazon.in (like I do everyday) for the frontpage deal, but even then, I followed the link @avi posted on this thread first, so owe him a beer if I ever meet him. :)

A big THANKS and a free hug LoL
Never heard of brainwavz throgh.everyone recomends Bose or beats around me lol

I have a very sad news I wanted to share with you guys :( :(
The story of the evil couch
As you've known I was a proud owner of HD 598 that I bought back in OZ for $275 but was absolutely in love with it. After couple of months of loong wait, my stuff arrived and I happily unpacked all my stuff and setup my rig. everything was working awesome. Now in this new house, I have an office which has a computer table and a chair and a couch which is a couple of feet away from the computer facing it. it as far as you get a good view of the 27 inch screen but just enough so that you can lay on the couch while wearing HD 598 and watch the movies.

Now, you might be thinking that I left the HD 598 on the couch and then later sat on it. NO... I am very careful in that matter. So, during this friday I got a deal for Mortal Kombat X on cdkeys and installed that game. connected the xbox360 controller which also happens to have the same length cable so I was sitting in the couch with HD598 and xbox controller and since it gets really cold in the country where I now live, I was folding my feet just like you sit for dinner in India.

I played for an hour or so and then I thought to myself that I have work tomorrow and should stop. As I was about to get up I put my feet on the floor and BAM... For some reason this couch built up static electricity in me and as I put my feet down, I had a spark from the top of my ear lobe hitting the inside of the left can.

Now all I hear is pewpewpewpewpew inside the left can. with a tear in my eye, I disconnected the headset and went to sleep. Thats how the evil couch killed my HD 598.

It was a great headset while it was alive. RIP.

For some reason this couch built up static electricity in me and as I put my feet down, I had a spark from the top of my ear lobe hitting the inside of the left can.
I hope your ears are fine and nothing bad happened.

Back