Graphic Cards Sensibility: opting for a Dx10 card when Dx11 card is on horizon?

Wolfbane

Disciple
HI guys,

Wanted to know ur views whether one shud opt for buying a card now when win 7 is just around the corner.:huh:

With dx11 available, does it make sense?

With the dealer section on fire with awesum deals n offers, its hard to resist temptation.

my eyes are particularly set on the 4770:)

The first rule of hardware purchase, never wait, there will always be something in the horizon. Also the first generation cards of a new tech, more or less struggles with all features enabled.

So I reckon it will be sometime before a mid range car can handle most of the new features of Dx 11, at respectable framerates. The 4770 series cards are a good bang for buck and will serve you well for some time.

Wolfbane said:
oh sorry, my oversight

but still unclear abt dx11 bit..is it or is it not??

That we will know once its Win7 comes and whether devs like it . Still, I doubt devs will switch to DX11 completely till Win7 has gained market share. I dont see DX9 losing out so soon given more than half the windows are XP

Tao said:
That we will know once its Win7 comes and whether devs like it . Still, I doubt devs will switch to DX11 completely till Win7 has gained market share. I dont see DX9 losing out so soon given more than half the windows are XP

vista will have dx11,so market share isn't a problem.dx11 is merely a superset of dx10.1 (dx11 compute shaders will run on dx10/dx10.1 hardware)so the transition from dx10 to dx11 should be easier for developers than from dx9 to dx10.as a matter of fact battlefield's frostbite engine has already been ported over to dx11.

the best of all rule is "there is no rule" - right now don't invest much on a new card.I know in computer hardware there is a new things coming up every 2-3 months. But Microsoft will not launch windows 8 in 2011 or 2012 . the success and implementation of dx11 will depend on the success of windows 7. dx11 is a super set of dx10.1 and hardware which support dx10.1 can run dx11 games excluding the additional dx11 features.So its highly unlikely that both windows 7 and dx11 will get similar treatment as their predecessor. the latest 4770 has the capability to support dx11- but its not confirmed officially (or tested--- remember 8600gt -how hyped it was as"dx10 support card" but later how poorly it performed in dx10) due to unavailability of dx11 right now. somewhere I read that windows 7 is going to be launch by end of this year -seems uncle bill to eager to fill the loss of vista by its new cousin.
If you already have a graphics card which can play the latest games in comfortable setting and fps - stick with it-if you don't then you can go for a new or used card as per budget and requirement. Nvidia will come with their dx11 compliant and 40nm gfx card by october-september so keep your eyes open. Also ATI will come with their revised and more matured 40nm cards within 2-3 months.

simple advice buy the best card which fits ur budget, after one year or when it stops serving ur purpose sell it and get a new one or else u will just keep waiting for "that latest card" ..

Dx 11 cards when they come wont be cheap, and what more Dx 10 cards are fully compitable with Dx11.

Dx 11 release date is September 2009~2010 March

I suppose its time for me to let go of my trusty ol X1800GTO and pick up a second hand 4870. This waiting game is killing me. :mad:

I suppose,the DX11 cards,when they do arrive will all be in excess of 10k?

Waiting is like commitments of love made to a whore...there's no end to the waiting and nothing concrete can ever materialise.

Buy when you need something.

^^Idiots mooning over win7 - how long do ya think it takes developers to design games for a new platform?

Vandal said:
Waiting is like commitments of love made to a whore...there's no end to the waiting and nothing concrete can ever materialise.

Buy when you need something.
^^Idiots mooning over win7 - how long do ya think it takes developers to design games for a new platform?

LOL, i guess ur right.
Currently have an 8600GT which coupled with Phenom II quad and Win7 seems to be performing better than before. Guess the extra CPU power helped.

And Since am not much of a gamer anyways, will stick to old trusty 8600GT for a lil more while....wot say?

When the dust settles will have a great time in picking a suitable gfx card.

End of issue!!!!

Back