Sent a 1TB Drive and got a 2TB drive - I Love you WD!

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
Long story short, my oldest Western Digital Green 1TB died recently. I had purchased it somewhere in 2008 or '09, can't really remember. So my first thought was that it was out of warranty.

Unplugged it, noted down the serial number and ran a warranty check on the website. To my surprise, it was still in warranty till 27/09/2013. I was so relived, as I couldn't bear to purchase a new one again. Anyhoo, called up WD to register an RMA and had the drive picked up (my favourite facility).

The drive was picked up on 23/07/2013 and delivered to WD on 24/07/2013. Now here's where things got interesting. I checked their tracking site (which is amazingly detailed) and it showed the below:

k5n9.jpg

I noticed a switch in the model number being sent. Google'd it and found out that it was a 2TB drive. I was still a bit skeptical about it, could have been an error.

Got my drive today and much to my joy, it is indeed a new 2TB drive. The serial number suggests that this drive has a warranty till end of November, which is pretty good.

Summing it all up; sent the defective drive on 23rd, received on 24th, new drive shipped on 25th and new drive received on 27th. So not only was my drive in warranty, it f*cking got replaced with double the size and that too within a span of 3 days.

Western Digital, you have my total respect.

Similar 1tb insted 500gb and they didnt ask for 500gb hdd in return, still working (with poor health).
What about the data?.. :p

What about the data?.. :p

I managed to salvage most of the data before it went kaput. Besides, I mostly follow the "watch-play-delete" policy now, so don't have much critical data on it anyway. Heck, I could have done with a 1TB just fine, but this was truly amazing.

WD have been doing this for ages now. It's one of the reason why I moved to them from being a loyal Seagate user a long time back. Though of course the primary motivator was that WD weren't replacing failed drives with "Certified Repairs" like Seagate was doing.. of course i believe of late WD have shifted to doing so as well.

Nevertheless, I've had 3 or 4 experiences with WD RMA's and on each occassion, much like Corsair does... if the drive you are replacing is too old they will often send you an upgraded model or double the capacity as a replacement! Their return process is also a stress free experience .. except once where there was a problem between them and the couriers they use to ship the RMA's in octroi clearances. Else it's been generally a superbly managed RMA process as far as WD is concerned. Same as Corsair.

Seagate I don't know of late, but i just lost a lot of respect for them years ago where their drives would die faster than the lifespan of a butterfly even.. pissed me off enough to switch to WD and I never looked back since.

Seagate I don't know of late, but i just lost a lot of respect for them years ago where their drives would die faster than the lifespan of a butterfly even.. pissed me off enough to switch to WD and I never looked back since.

The experience has been quite the opposite for me! :p

I had issues with WD drives and RMA'd at least 3 drives including a 2.5" notebook drive. Switched all the drives to Seagate and with 7 2TB drives right now including 3 backup drives, I haven't faced breakdowns. Yet!

*touchwood*

But this has been customary to WD since a while. Some folks have got a Caviar Black in return for Caviar Green/Blue drive! :p

me got a 2TB my book in place of another 2TB my book :(

but the turn around times of 4 days and no hassles of travelling to the service centre in these rainy days was a good benefit overall.

Back