Serious booting probs

Hi guys,

I'm so bugged by what is happening to my pc. Everytime I start it up it goes to the advanced start up modes and asks me to select an option. Wether i choose safe mode or start windows normally or last known good configuration the pc boots till the windows logo and then sometimes displays the BSOD with some error message or there is no display, the screen just remains black with the monitor light beeping, sometimes it boots into windows and then the screen just blacks out. I took my vid card out and tried with only the onboard gfx and put back my vid card and tried again...the results are the same...i did this so many times.

Pls guys any suggestions wud really help...thx a lot in advance

PS. i dunno if its a vid card/psu/hdd/ram r mayb the monitor :huh:

NO I dont OC my pc, only my vid card sometimes, tht was when I got it, maybe for the past 4 months or so I have done no ocing on my vid card...my config

P4 2.8 HT pprescott
1 gig ddr400 kingston value ram
Intel 865GBF
EVGA 6800GT wt NV silencer
40GB 7200rpm Seagate, primary HDD
80GB HDD SATA seagate
Ultra X-connect 500W PSU
2 vantec HDD coolers
Sony dvd-r
5 led fans
Samsung 763DFX 17"

- To test out your RAM, try making a bootable Memtest CD obtainable at : http://www.memtest86.com/

- Ultra X-Connect isnt too good a PSU. From the outside it looks good, but Ultra has been blacklisted as one of the bad PSU manufacturers. Try testing out with another PSU if possible. Else disconnect all non-essential hardware like HDD coolers, LED fans, remove your 6800GT and run off your onboard graphics, etc to minimise the load on your PSU and then test out.

- Your XP installation could possibly be corrupt, have you considered a re-install?

Ultra X-Connect... sheesh why did u ever waste ur money on that :p. If you wanted modularity, u could have gotten an ocz modstream or antec neopower.

Try to avoid any modular psu's. the less the number of connectors from the psu pcb to the m/b (or pany peripherial) the better. no unnecessary voltage drops.

Sorry guys,

Had no access to pc, so delay in my response. Will try out with only essential periphereals connected n let u guys know. Doesnt look like PSU problem. Sometimes I can boot into Windows and after 10 secs on the desktop, the screen blacks out bt the pc is still runnin. Mayb nt enuf power to vid card from PSU. Will try n let u guys. Any more suggestions pls keep them comin, n thx 4r everythin so far

Do you have access to a Linux LiveCD? Try running that. If it starts up and runs, it means that your problem is in windows, if it does not run, then it is a hardware issue.

Thx once again,
When I get the time I will sit with my comp n try n test everythin....am tied at work rt now...i read online yesterday tht mayb I need to take out my cmos battery n boot up n put it back in n boot again

Hi guys,

good news: I got my comp working again, just took everything and added all the components in one at a time...n im not guess jst needed a thorough rewiring of all my drives n stuff...jst one question, how do I remove the cmos battery on an 865 GBF mobo, i jst reset the bios jumpers. If no answers are forthcoming, mods can please close this thread. Thx once again all

Good to hear that :)

You should be able to remove the CMOS battery just like how you would on any other board, right?

Removing the CMOS battery is equivalent to resetting your BIOS, except that in some cases the Reset BIOS jumper only resets more trivial settings and leaves very basic ones as they are - for example the 'time' setting. Using the jumper to reset the BIOS should be enough in most cases, only for significant cases do you need to remove the CMOS battery.

Back