Car & Bike Service Queries

spynic

Adept
i just dropped my car(SX4) for its last(3rd) free service @ sai service...

kms done ~6.5k

one yr old.

had a couple of queries...

when do you use synthetic engine oil..?

i heard its preferred after 10k kms
how often do we need wheel alignment?

when do we need to change brake pads?

Is nitrogen any good for tyres?

they say you dont need to refill gas/check pressure at all...

I believe you can switch to synthetic after your run-in period. Most car manuals specify how many kms that would be. You shouldn't switch too soon, since you need the higher friction that normal oil provides to properly run-in your engine.

A few also say that its not really worth shifting to synthetic in economic terms, since it lasts only perhaps twice as long and costs five times as much. You're probably better off just using regular oil and replacing it often enough.

Wheel alignment , not too sure - but I guess each time you get your wheels rotated ?

Your brake pads are designed to start squealing as an indicator that they're wearing out. When that happens, get it checked/replaced.

Nitrogen molecules are larger than most other molecules in air, so they don't permeate through the rubber as easily. You will still need to check air pressure, though not as often as before. There are other claims about better fuel economy and better ride quality, but I have no idea how far that's true.

thnx again ed...

i think ill stick to mineral oil atm..

got nitrogen filled in my tyres.. the ride seems smoother.. i hope its not due to low pressure..

damn ...dint bother to read the last word of the question (trigger happy) ;)
Car - Authorised service centre
Bike- local mechanic..

Cost of filling Nitrogen depends from place to place. Usually around 30/- per tyre. Sometimes cheaper, sometime more.

Nitrogen doesnt heat up as much as normal air and thus heat generated is lesser. Since it heats less, the pressure variation is also lesser. So, youyr tyre more or less runs at a stable pressure all the time.

Alignment and balancing should be done every 4000-5000 kms in India. Along with your tyre rotation

Back