Setting up a CS Server

greenhorn

Patron
It's been a while since my buddies and I have played CS, so for Independence day, we were thinking of having a big game.

Question is, how to set up the server. I have an airtel broadband 4MBPS. would that be enough? Can someone point me to a guide to setting up a server and taking care of the technical details - port forwarding etc.

Not really keen on using hamachi etc unless absolutely needed

Source Dedicated Server can make CS:S and CS:GO servers AFAIK. Used to make and play with my mates around 2009.

Also, highly suggested you start playing CS:GO and not crappy 1.6.

Source Dedicated Server can make CS:S and CS:GO servers AFAIK. Used to make and play with my mates around 2009.

Also, highly suggested you start playing CS:GO and not crappy 1.6.

There is a reason CS:GO flopped worldwide , and 1.6 still rules the FPS scene.

I think your definition of worldwide may be a bit off. There are no CS 1.6 tournaments anywhere anymore. Whatever professional CS is left, it is mostly GO. 1.6 is somewhat relevant here and SEA, but it hardly "rules the FPS scene".

1.6 maybe shit compared to the newer games, but its a classic, and it doesnt matter for most of my friends arent even remotely serious. We are a slightly different audience. We used to play 1.6 in college, now still play together when there is an opportunity. Most of us don't have time to learn a new game ( even if its better) and don't want to buy better laptops - anything with a dedicated graphicss = lesser battery life and toasted balls otherwise, and some are running on their official laptops.

I don't want this to go into a 1.6 Vs GO thread ( my friends are still fighting over 1.6 Vs CZ - I'm on the 1.6 side). It's just that 1.6 works for us :)

Last edited:
Well setting up a CS server is fairly simple. You can use a VPN like GArena to connect through the internet. As for the server, you can use the dedicated server, or host as a client. Download the Half Life Dedicated server tool from Steam, select CS, set map and start. Connect through IP if it does not show up in LAN games.

I think your definition of worldwide may be a bit off. There are no CS 1.6 tournaments anywhere anymore. Whatever professional CS is left, it is mostly GO. 1.6 is somewhat relevant here and SEA, but it hardly "rules the FPS scene".

Mate i have been following every CS tournament since last 4-5 years , i can how "great" cs go is just by the number of teams that have disbanded. -_-

No it doesn't. 1.6 is a shit game which most Indians are still playing thanks to the super low requirements.

CSS & GO are both vastly superior to 1.6

I have CS:GO since day one , i like it , its nothing compared to cs 1.6 though.

Well the haydays of CPL, CAL, WCG and ESWC are behind us now. I am not saying GO is great, just that 1.6 doesn't have that presence anymore.

Back