Setting up WIFI network @ home

anish_sha

Skilled
Hi frenz, i' have BSNL DATAONE BROADBAND connection at home..I want to setup a wireless network through it since i want to use it along wit TWO laptops and ONE desktop with in 200m radius (with Obstacles means like each system will be in different rooms and floor) ,since i don't 've any knowledge about networking i request you guys to guide me,what all things i would need to setup it ,also should i opt normal modem from bsnl or wireless modem.. heres my doubts

1) shall i be able to use the internet without switching on my desktop(its the one to which i am connected my phone line thru the normal modem)

2)which all hardwares i have to buy to get this done

3) will the signals of wifi weaken if i use my laptop in one room/floor where as the router is in different room/floor
pls guide me guys, i have ZERO knowledge in networking...

thanks in advance

1....ya u can use
2....u have to buy wireless router
3....ya....depends upon ur wi-fi router position and obstacles betn lappy and ur router

200m?? Its too much, maybe you mean 20m.

If that is the case then all you need is a wi-fi router (since you already have a modem).

A Buffalo WHRG54 comes for around 2.1K and will suit your needs perfectly well. You dont need to switch on your desktop as now your modem will connect to your wifi router. And any PC/laptop will connect directly to the router.

Your signal will weaken but even if it weakens to 2MBps wireless connection, you will still be able to use your internet connection to its max potential. Speaking from personal experience.

If you dont already have a connection then you buy a ADSL+wifi router

200m is going to take serious INFRASTRUCTURE. 20m is easily doable with any wifi router. I personally use Buffalo HPG54 for connecting 2 laptops and a desktop across two 2 bedroom flats on the same floor and get reception everywhere. Even the Buffalo G54S which is cheaper at 2.2k is good. It worked as well in my setup.

1. Only the modem and router need to be on for connectivity across the setup.

2. You only need a decent wifi router and in my opinion Buffalo is the most robust and value for money.

3. The signal quality depends on a number on factors like distance, obstacles. I get a 2 bar reception out of 5 in the furthest room which is about 20-30m+ away. It should also work one floor up or down, you will have to check this, if the signal is too weak you may have to get 2 routers, not an issue since they are so cheap, and use one as a repeater/bridge. Keep in mind broadband connections are pretty slow here so 256kpbs/2 mbps even on a weak 1 bar wifi signal is not an issue. You will get full speed.

thanks for the guys for ur suggestions.. i do have a noraml odem from bsnl on renatl basis now, i got the connection last month only...i think i can go for modem+router so that i can give back this normal modem...and also whats the difference between 802.11b & 802.11g ???

get in a wifi router if its really 200m and not a typo then u need router with repeaters , that will be placed in the middle some place to take and throw the signals again in lay mans language i had seen such a setup up at my uncles place . and it worked nicely .

anish_sha said:
k... BTB whats the difference between 802.11b & 802.11g ???

Speeds dude! However thats not going to make a difference to you as no one is going to give beyond 11Mbps.

b is a old standard(11MBps), g is the new standard with speed upto 54/110mbps

And yeah have BSNL combo as following:

900UL + GLB 502T + Buffalo WHR HP64GS and get reception on ground floor(HTC S620 :eek:hyeah: ) from my 4th floor apt.

~LT

Wifi G won't benefit in net speeds but LAN transfers will be faster. I don't think there's any b router in the market is there?

Talk about 'n' I think if you use RangeMax routers of Netgear with their Rangemax Wi-Fi Cards...it may help..

but you still may need more access points for 200 m ...man..

200m? maybe you can find a router to do that, Qs here is .. can your notebook / PC send back data across the 200 m?

Since 2 notebooks are being used, why dont you set up a peer wireless network and see if the network works across 200m

advantage...well if your router ****s up ..you got modem to use directly :D lol

naa I dont think so..

I myself use netgear MIMO router + ADSL modem of airtel and they dont charge any rental for it..good thing is dat if the adapter or their modem goes mad . I call up the guy he replaces instantly w/o any charge.. +ve

Guys.. I enquired the price of adsl modem +router, he says linksys is 5k and netgear is 4k. . What do you guys think? Its too much costly right? I just went thru ebay , in it , its about 3.5k. . You guys know any website where i can purchase it in genuine price?

Dont be too hasty, people will reply in their own sweet time no matter what.

Yes they are very costly. You can buy the Linksys router+modem here for 3600 all inclusive/ This one is pretty good and is being used by a few members on TE since a long time. Used to be 4200 a couple of months back.

Many says buffalo routers are good value for money.. Can u guys says the pros n cons of LINKSYS over BUFFALO.. if LINKSYS can get me more signal range , i don't mind paying bit more for it. . .

They both are at par. Those who say buffalo say so becoz it can be modded with a custom firmware to enable advanced features which are mostly found in high end routers. However that is true for only these models. Linksys' WRT54G/GL/GS, Buffalo WHR-G54S/WHR-HP-G54.

None of these is a modem+router. For any other models they are fairly comparable in the similar price range. So no real benefit of one over the other as far as I know.

The buffalo modem+router, WBMR-G54 is for 4K.

Back