SGS II may support only 16-bit colour? Heavy banding observed!

Anant

Disciple
Feb 27, 2010
I too have this issue, I wonder if it's specific to certain copies or if all SGS2 have this issue?

The lagom.nl gradient test picture looks pretty bad in the browser and even worse if you scroll around, however it looks OK if you save it and view it in the gallery. In Opera Mobile it also looks OK. So that speaks for the issue being software related.

The Nexus live wallpaper for example also looks terrible. I noticed the heavy banding in the splash screens of both Angry Birds and Stupid Zombies as well.

The "dimming" test under "*#0*#" has absolutely terrible banding.

I for one find this quite annoying and almost contemplated taking the phone back before I found this thread. It kind of sucks to have banding issues on the wallpaper and in games

Source: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1075364&page=1

Can anybody test and confirm this? Seems like a grave display defect!

jesal

Adept
Dec 12, 2006
i used the phone today that wallpaper indeed did look very bad. im in 2 minds now. i do like the compact size of my desire s. this thing is hugeee

Torch

Disciple
Jun 26, 2009
I just bought a SGS2 and the display clarity and dithering is utter SHIT compared to the iPhone 4. Aside from that the phone seems good. Don't judge it by that photo in the first post. It's MUCH worse. Simple UI graphics look like highly compressed JPG files.

unixguru

Disciple
Jan 2, 2010
I am a bit confused here. The many reviews I have read seem to praise the display the most. But, I would not be surprised if Samsung has intentionally manufactured some of the phones with lower quality displays. They have done it before. The Samsung P3 which is an excellent PMP had an issue where a substantial, but not all, number of them had a defective touch screen. The touch screen would start failing gradually after a few months of use.

quixand

Skilled
Mar 9, 2011
Noticed this while playing (Stupid Zombies), should be a s/w thing more than a h/w defect.

anfjavid

Skilled
Dec 16, 2006
This was the thing which i was arguing with my cousin who failed to agree with me. Nowadays manufacturers have started fooling consumers in all possible ways. One among them is discrepancy in quality between the same products...

Zinc

Adept
Jan 8, 2010
Globe Trotter
My uncle was going to gift a SGS2 to me.

I'll have to tell him to stop.

HTC Sensation is also having problems of its own.

Looks like Iphone4 is still the best bet in that price range unless Fandroids have something to add.

But why everyone is going gaga over the display if its that bad?

Torch

Disciple
Jun 26, 2009
Because it looks like magic when it lights up from pure black. Theres horrible colour banding EVERYWHERE. It looks like Windows running in low colour depth without graphics drivers. The resolution is too low for the screen size. There are pixels and jaggies everywhere. But it's MUCH better than the Pentile Matrix scam in previous AMOLED screens where the screen was FULL OF BLACK DOTS!

The screen is pretty much the only thing holding it back. I just went to a SGS2 from an iPhone 4 and despite the vastly superior retina display, I don't think I'll go back. My primary concern with Android was the lag. There is zero lag on SGS2 and its UI is MUCH faster than iPhone 4. No matter what's happening, pressing the home button instantly goes to the launcher. My iPhone 4 started lagging horribly after installing Winterboard and a few tweaks.

Unlike before, today the Android version of all the multi platform apps is superior and has many more features and a better innovative UI than the iPhone version. Most notably the Facebook app, Dropbox and browsers. The only thing I will miss are the games from iOS. But I'll buy a PS Vita shortly and that's that. I initially planned to get an iPhone 5 or whatever since it would be better than the SGS2 but since the new bootrom in the iPad 2 doesn't allow you to restore older firmware there is no chance I'm getting it until a bootrom exploit is found.

quixand

Skilled
Mar 9, 2011
kestrel5915 said:
My uncle was going to gift a SGS2 to me.

I'll have to tell him to stop.

HTC Sensation is also having problems of its own.

Looks like Iphone4 is still the best bet in that price range unless Fandroids have something to add.

But why everyone is going gaga over the display if its that bad?

Because you'll hardly notice it. And I'm definitely not going to get an iPhone because SGS2 has banding, lol, it doesn't look like a h/w defect, it's s/w (hope).

if you are under the impression that iphone is still the best then good for you, :p

avi

Skilled
Nov 23, 2010
Two days back I had a look at my friends SGS-2 it seemed fine & super awesome, compared to my iPhone 4 :bleh:

I am not sure if his' phone has issue or not, but atleast I couldn't notice it. He hadn't installed much games [even Stupid Zombies] but videos looked superb ! Will test again once the games are installed.

unixguru said:
I am a bit confused here. The many reviews I have read seem to praise the display the most. But, I would not be surprised if Samsung has intentionally manufactured some of the phones with lower quality displays. They have done it before. The Samsung P3 which is an excellent PMP had an issue where a substantial, but not all, number of them had a defective touch screen. The touch screen would start failing gradually after a few months of use.

:O

Zinc

Adept
Jan 8, 2010
Globe Trotter
quixand said:
Because you'll hardly notice it. And I'm definitely not going to get an iPhone because SGS2 has banding, lol, it doesn't look like a h/w defect, it's s/w (hope).

if you are under the impression that iphone is still the best then good for you, :p

Ok, so Fandroids did have something to add :p

I was wondering what Torch and thousand other users are seeing what my eyes will hardly notice.

Anyway, I'll try and get a hands on experience before becoming a Fandroid myself :evil1:

quixand

Skilled
Mar 9, 2011
My post wasn't meant to diss you and I don't consider myself a fandroid becasue I got my first Android phone in June. Before that I was using a bada OS phone which I liked a lot. Both super amoled BTW, so yes I have a slight inclination towards SAMOLED because it's brilliant to look at (people have stated it being oversaturated but works for me) :)

The reason why I've said what I've said is that in general people don't get impressed too easily after owning an iOS device, but SGS2 seems to have impressed them too.

I'd suggest get a demo done before you sink in that kind of money (or in your case your relative's money). It's the BEST android phone in the market right now.

Zinc

Adept
Jan 8, 2010
Globe Trotter
^ Chillax man, it was just a fun post :)

I'll get a demo before taking the plunge.

Earlier this year, I was waiting for Nexus S but it was an awfully late release so this time I'll surely get a phone without waiting much.

Torch

Disciple
Jun 26, 2009
After a few weeks of use, I've gotten used to the screen. I don't realise how BAD it is until I pick up the iPhone 4 and look at it.