Budget Above 25K SGS4 buying help

yuvi161292

Disciple
I am planning to buy the Samsung Galaxy S4 in a weeks time
It is available for 34.2k on flipkart but i have a few doubts which i need help with
1. Is the phone worth the price??
2. I read user reviews on flipkart that there are some overheating issues with the phone. How true is this??
3. Is there any other phone i should buy instead ?? (The price should be less or equal to that of S4)

Any help is highly appreciated

1. Budget?
A: 35k+/-2k
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar
3. Preferred display type?
A: You suggest
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A:Own a SGS2 so ill say samsung
5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen
6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: 13mp.
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android
8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G.
9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Gaming , internet, multimedia
10. Any other requirements?
A: Don't require dual sim
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: SGS4 and Optimus G Pro(really like this one as it same hardware as htc one and samsung if u consider quad core plus a bigger screen)

SGS4 is definitely not worth the price or hype, personally using it since last 2 months, speakers are weak and the initial batch had the heating issues but the new batch doesn't. Better to wait for Note3.

Note 3 is rumoured to have a 5.9" display and i dont want that big a phone
5-5.5" screen size is what i want not more than that
I really liked the note 2 but its old now i really like the optimus G pro because it has the same screen size with latest hardware so what are your thoughts on that?
I plan to root and install roms so i want latest hardware so which is better for that ?
I dont care about the speakers as i would never be using them but the heating was a real issue for me which you say would not be with the phones available in the market atm

Note 3 is 5.7" Just FYI, and brand wise Samsung is better than LG but for custom Roms Snapdragon 600 (Qualcomm) is anytime better than Samsung Exynos, but if you are thinking that it's latest then it's not (Latest compared to Note 2), there are many phones coming within next month or 2 with Snapdragon 800 (LG G2 and Sony Xperia Honami aka i1).

The Custom ROM development is slowly picking up for SGS4 and CM already has a Alpha Stage ROM for it.

So over in all if you want to purchase the Phone now then between SGS4 and LG Optimus G pro, I'd suggest better to go with SGS4 due to number of samsung's service centers and the brand value compared to LG.

Here's a Gsmarena Comparision of SGS4 and LG optimus G Pro.

If you can wait then you have two more options to consider as above mentioned (Sony Honami and LG G2). Choice is yours because you are the one who's going to spend money and use it ;)

Thanks you made a lot of things clear
I agree with you on the latest point that there are phones with snapdragon 800 coming (Xperia z ultra has it if you consider it a phone:p) but that i think would be happening every 4-5 months i believe due to the competition in the market
What i meant by latest was that atm S4 has the latest hardware the picture might change in a month but that doesnt mean that its hardware would be obselete it would still be somewhere on the top
Also i find samsung phones more vfm purely in terms of hardware when i compare it too htc one or optimus g pro for that matter
Also i think that LG G2 and Xperia i1 would be priced around the 40k mark or more considering the htc one already costs 40k and G pro costs 38.5k and i want to buy under 35k
Launching of these new phones could benefit me in the sense that it could lead to price cuts in the current flagships
What do you say? Buy now or wait?
Btw i find SGS4 quiet vfm at 34k

SGS4 is best for you then and you can get it 1K-2K cheaper after the releases of these new coming phones, but then that's going to happen after every few months. so if you are in a mood to purchase the phone then SGS4 is the best choice-VFM (according to you), brand, latest hardware (as of now) and Touchwiz is good with all the features samsung has integrated for the camera... :)

Isnt it a vfm choice atm according to you??:(
I would be replacing touchwiz with cm10 as soon as i can so that is not something i am looking forward to
I own a SGS2 and i hated touchwiz on that so i switched to miui asap

Btw i find SGS4 quiet vfm at 34k
if you want to play with roms the s4 qualcomm version is better. But its more pricey and i've doubts whether samsung service centre will fix it in case there's a problem.

s4 vs G pro isn't an appropriate comparison because G pro is supposed to compete with note 3 & xperia ultra. s4 competes with Optimus G, xperias Z & ZL, HTC one etc.

Best time to buy a phone is 3-6 months after launch. if you can wait that long, prices stabilise, in case of samsungs they can drop upto 20% from launch price. The other brands have smaller drops in comparison.

I dont know why but i somehow dont really like sony phones
I am not comparing the two I know they are two different phones made to be used in different ways . So I am trying to decide which one is made for me?
Both lg optimus g pro and S4 were launched in april so its been 4 months
Dont you feel that LG G pro is overpriced at 38k??

SGS4 i9505 (Qualcomm Version) will not have Indian warranty :( and LG G Pro is not worth of 38K but SGS4 is the best within 35K range atm :)
I think fellow SGS4 user and ROM Dev. @Rahul++ will be able to help you

Last edited:
SGS4 i9505 (Qualcomm Version) will not have Indian warranty :(
I know the warranty isn't available, question is if something breaks and user is willing to pay will they agree to fix it. Phone goes with you everywhere, all sorts of things can happen.

Warranty in any case after a year isn't there for any phone even if you buy it local. Also if before that time you drop it your warranty does not cover any damage. Warranty is more to cover manufacutring defects, phone dying like a month after you get it which with samsung's QA i think will be rare

I dont know why but i somehow dont really like sony phones
I am not comparing the two I know they are two different phones made to be used in different ways . So I am trying to decide which one is made for me?
Go to a shop and play with them. See the ZL and ZR too.

Both lg optimus g pro and S4 were launched in april so its been 4 months
Don't you feel that LG G pro is overpriced at 38k??
G Pro is a 5.5 inch screen, its quite unwieldy i find. The display has much higher pixel density compared to note 2. Whether full HD is better than just HD is up to you to decide.

G Pro should not be in your choice here unless you want a phablet. S4 would be the better pick.

35k is alot for me too . I wont be buying another phone for atleast 2.5-3 yrs so i need to last it for that long .
I really like the specs of G2 but the thing is when these snapdragon 800 phones come out they would be priced around 40k or over and would take another 3 months for price to come down so that is the problem cause that means the new phones would be vfm after 4-5 months
The link you posted says G pro is available for 35k where is it available at that price??

35k is alot for me too . I wont be buying another phone for atleast 2.5-3 yrs so i need to last it for that long .
I really like the specs of G2 but the thing is when these snapdragon 800 phones come out they would be priced around 40k or over and would take another 3 months for price to come down so that is the problem cause that means the new phones would be vfm after 4-5 months
The link you posted says G pro is available for 35k where is it available at that price??
I think the S4 is better than the G2. G2 does not make people want to replace their S4.

LG decided to go with no buttons on the edges for this device. The button are where the camera is and it includes the power button. They said they had to do this because the screen of 5.2 inches is so big.

If you're not to concerned about custom roms and are happy with touchwiz then S4 is the winner.

optimus G or Xperia ZL/ZR or S4 are your options.

I did not hear you say you played with any of these devices yet.

FYI phones like honami and note 3 will be announced next month, since India is not one of the main market expect bit late arrivals and steap launch prices. I will personally recommend htc one, although s4 is good too but i don't like it, cheap plastic.

Back