Budget Above 25K SGS4 buying help

yuvi161292

Disciple
I am planning to buy the Samsung Galaxy S4 in a weeks time
It is available for 34.2k on flipkart but i have a few doubts which i need help with
1. Is the phone worth the price??
2. I read user reviews on flipkart that there are some overheating issues with the phone. How true is this??
3. Is there any other phone i should buy instead ?? (The price should be less or equal to that of S4)

Any help is highly appreciated

I rooted my s2 about 6 months after i got it . it was my first android device. i have tried around 10-12 roms til now but i kept coming back to miui and i find it much more my use
Didnt like the touchwiz wont lik it on s4 that i kno . I was all set to get s4 until i got to know that there arent any roms for it
Now my 2nd choice was optimus g pro but there arent any roms for it yet too
@blr_p
I dont care for the speakers on my phone cause i wont be using them ever . ill use the earphones 99% of the time
about the screen i do find the amoleds better . like the ones on xperia seem to me like they lack sharpness
now about the design of s4 . How can you boast when everyone has a similar looking phone ? I had seen an add on youtube for galaxy s2 i think about an year back in which they tried to make fun of people lining up in front of apple stores for new iphones and that how the different versions of iphone look the same and in the ad a person said "how would people know that i upgraded when it looks the same" and now samsung is doing the same thing
I travel in the metro and when i look at a person holding a white samsung phone i am not able to judge if its a quattro , grand , s3 or s4 . sorry went a little offtopic :p but being a samsung fanboy i m angry about the s4 :mad:

The HTC one dual sim (for 5-6k extra) supports sd cards. Which increases existing bezel size by 1.1mm so existing one cases for it will not fit.

How will the dev scene be affected for the dual sim model ?

Last edited:
about the screen i do find the amoleds better . like the ones on xperia seem to me like they lack sharpness
Right, so this will be a problem with any non-s-amoled screen.

now about the design of s4 . How can you boast when everyone has a similar looking phone ? I had seen an add on youtube for galaxy s2 i think about an year back in which they tried to make fun of people lining up in front of apple stores for new iphones and that how the different versions of iphone look the same and in the ad a person said "how would people know that i upgraded when it looks the same" and now samsung is doing the same thing
But samsung wants to be better than apple :D

@paarkhi
I am not saying that make every phone look different but atleast make your flagship standout . Atleast make it look like its a flagship
@blr_p
I dont think that would be a problem cause i keep my s2 on min brightness except under sunlight so i think ill just have to increase the brightness a little on ips and anyway after some use my eyes will get used to it so no problem .

go to 0:14

The HTC one dual sim (for 5-6k extra) supports sd cards. Which increases existing bezel size by 1.1mm so existing one cases for it will not fit.

How will the dev scene be affected for the dual sim model ?
Forget about true Custom ROMs for Dual Sims as AOSP/AOKP/CM doesn't support Dual SIM (AFAIK) and you need to be dependent only on Stock ROMs (customized by others)[DOUBLEPOST=1376582697][/DOUBLEPOST]@yuvi161292, yes you are right about making a flagship look different, but it's a pity how Samsung is taking the advantage of its monopoly in the android market :( I really feel Nokia should have entered Android market :)

I dont think that would be a problem cause i keep my s2 on min brightness except under sunlight so i think ill just have to increase the brightness a little on ips and anyway after some use my eyes will get used to it so no problem .
It looks like G pro or note 3 (basically 5.5 inch screens) might be your best bet then. can you handle that size.

But your custom rom scene will be limited with either of these.

Which matters more ? roms or gaming.

Forget about true Custom ROMs for Dual Sims as AOSP/AOKP/CM doesn't support Dual SIM (AFAIK) and you need to be dependent only on Stock ROMs (customized by others)
Thx, guess that knocks the dual sim htc one out for me.

Just see its specs though.

SIM1: Up to HSPA (900/2100 MHz) and up to EVDO REV. B(800 MHz)
SIM2: Up to EDGE (900/1800/1900 MHz)

A phone that can support both GSM & CDMA.

Too bad tata photon max in my state only gives dongles and no uim (whatever the cdma sim card equivalent is) cards.

Last edited:
Yup i can handle the size i have bigger than normal hands (i m 6ft tall) . I even liked the xperia z ultra but it is over my budget and most of all i dont think i can fit it in my pocket comfortably and if i cant then its not a phone according to me
Gaming is more important than roms . I like roms cause they give me better battery life and i find them more customizable
The problem with waiting for note 3 or any other phone launched in next month is like i said before that it would be launched at a high price atleast 40k and will take atlst 2-3 months to come down to a reasonable price and in case the phone is a hit it might take longer

Yup i can handle the size i have bigger than normal hands (i m 6ft tall) . I even liked the xperia z ultra but it is over my budget and most of all i dont think i can fit it in my pocket comfortably and if i cant then its not a phone according to me
I find these characterisations amusing :)

Yours, is a phone must be pocketable. For others it must be operable with one hand and it must not look too big against your face.

The original 'phone' was neither, it just allowed people to communicate.

Btw, my hand span is 8.75 inches stretched. 5.5 is still unwieldy for me. Bear in mind the G pro has a reduced keyboard size to allow one hand texting.

Gaming is more important than roms . I like roms cause they give me better battery life and i find them more customizable
A bigger screen is better for gaming. So the 5.5 will be better than 5. Thing is does 0.5inch more really matter.

The point is you will be coming from a S2 which is 4.3 inches to G pro which is 5.5, see the difference. Going from 116gm to 160gm, over 25% difference in weight which will be very noticeable.

Take S2 to ZL. From 116gm to 150gm. Again difference is 20%. But only 5 inch screen.

Vice S2 to S4. From 116gm to 130gm. This difference is less than 10%. Ergonomically speaking much easier to adapt and you get a 5 inch screen. What grabbed me with the S4 was how light it was. Once you add a case it will be more. But when you add a case to the others so will they.

About roms, what customisations do you want. What can you not live with here. There will be touchwiz based roms for the S4. However AOSP roms is another matter. MIUI might come to the S4 a year later, given their past performance. Battery life isn't an issue with the G Pro or the S4 because you can always add a spare battery, quickly and continue where you left off.

The thing about gaming and snapdragon 600 (or exynos) is heat. How long you want to game. How intense are these games. The high end games will get uncomfortable to play more than half an hour. Though a plastic case might makes this more bearable than aluminium or glass.

So you need some sort of thermal throttling or under volting kernel to provide that. If you can get that on the S4 then its a contender. Maybe paarki can comment on gaming on the S4 without any of these features. Maybe by next May, Googy will come to the S4 as it did with the S3.

I don't know if you will get it on the G Pro. We don't get the E385 here, its the E388. The ZL has the doom kernel but its still a work in progress.

If you want to consider the ZL, you need to ensure thermal throttling as there is no user replaceable battery. Price wise both ZL & S4 match your budget. Though i see no problem with increasing it if you absolutely must have the G Pro.

Last edited:
I checked my hand span is 9.5 inches stretched
You made some very useful points about weight and heating issues
The customizations i want with roms are to remove all the bloatware so i can have more battery life . I usually like to minimize the stock ram usage to get that result
You said about the touchwiz based roms . will these roms be lighter and more battery efficient?
By what you said i think S4 would fulfill all my needs and it has the right price for me which gets me where i started from:p
I am not considering z/zl anymore after reading a few reviews
I think i should go for my first choice only and get the s4
I really like the g pro but it doesnt seem to have much dev support and also availability of accessories online is quite low
Btw i didnt mentioned but i dont really like the htc ones looks especially the silver one . dont like those front speakers . Looks wise xperia zl wins handsdown

I sold my current phone SGS2 so it is kind of urgent to buy a new phone. Max time limit is this week so if u can suggest a phone that would be better under 36k then i could buy that but i cant wait[DOUBLEPOST=1377007495][/DOUBLEPOST]Which one out of these - Nexus 4 - 25k , Xperia zl - 30k , SGS4 - 34.5k , Optimus G pro - 36.5k purely on the basis of gaming and vfm

Last edited:
I sold my current phone SGS2 so it is kind of urgent to buy a new phone. Max time limit is this week so if u can suggest a phone that would be better under 36k then i could buy that but i cant wait[DOUBLEPOST=1377007495][/DOUBLEPOST]Which one out of these - Nexus 4 - 25k , Xperia zl - 30k , SGS4 - 34.5k , Optimus G pro - 36.5k purely on the basis of gaming and vfm
Nothing compares SGS4 if you want expandable memory and removable battery+gaming, Nexu 4 is old (5 is on the brink of release)

Back