Sharing Sify connection

I have got two pc's and a single Sify connection. Both the PC's have a single LAN card and internal modem. Any way i can access the net through both the machines simultaneously?
And yes, the solution should involve minimum cost :D . Ihave Linux n Win installed on both of them.

kingkrool is "junior" member here *rofl*
I can finally catch with him this itme(sic)
:D
Let us see. To regain my lead I may just start spamming!!
And yeah, make sure u buy a router not a switch. Also, at least one of the computers will need to run easysify2 (has to do with tat stupic MAC address thingy - the router can be bound to one, so the other needs to spoof it). This is not required if u always sign in from one comp only. Will let u know a bit more about that in a couple of days as I am getting a wifi router very very soon (ws supposed to be today but the shop was out of stock).

see if this helps

http://www.techenclave.com/forums/showthread.php?t=973

Get additional network card for your machine which is directly connected to the internet . NIc are ver cheap around 300 bucks. Dlink Cat5 cable costs Rs10 per meter and Cat6 around 20/meter.

Do tell the vendor abut your setup and how you will connect computers without switch and accordinly he will crimp the RJ-45 jack.

DLink Switch costs around 1900 bucks but only needed if you have more than two computers.

KingKrool said:
:D
the router can be bound to one, so the other needs to spoof it). This is not required if u always sign in from one comp only. Will let u know a bit more about that in a couple of days as I am getting a wifi router very very soon (ws supposed to be today but the shop was out of stock).

I use switch to connect my 3 computers(borhter,sister PC @ home) and share internet connection. My ISP installed pppoe custom dialer which detected proxy server and terminated the connection. But i bypased it within 5 mins after the ISP engineer installed it and left. he warned me about the sharing violation but hell him beat me lamers wih some real tricks :tongue:

U need to get a (single port)router(which i presume ur service provider will provide u with),a hub and RJ45 cables.Connect the LAN output of your router to the uplink in your hub.Connect straight cables from both your comps(NIC cards) to the hub.Configure your gateway ip as the ip of your router(Ex:192.168.1.1).Set the ips of your comps to anything in the same subnet(Ex:192.168.1.3 and 192.168.1.5).in the TCP/IP properties give the primary and secondary DNS (if needed) which u can obtain from your service provider. The cost for this setup--Hub(4-port) should cost your around Rs.300-400,and cable(RJ 45) cost is from Rs.10 to Rs.14 per meter.

kailash said:
U need to get a (single port)router(which i presume ur service provider will provide u with),a hub and RJ45 cables.Connect the LAN output of your router to the uplink in your hub.Connect straight cables from both your comps(NIC cards) to the hub.Configure your gateway ip as the ip of your router(Ex:192.168.1.1).Set the ips of your comps to anything in the same subnet(Ex:192.168.1.3 and 192.168.1.5).in the TCP/IP properties give the primary and secondary DNS (if needed) which u can obtain from your service provider. The cost for this setup--Hub(4-port) should cost your around Rs.300-400,and cable(RJ 45) cost is from Rs.10 to Rs.14 per meter.

aah no no i wudn't recommend this setup. tell me now why i say so.it's simple answer. :p

hint: always have ur own internal private network. there more reasons for not recommending ur setup with hub. think why?

Hubs are non secure - anyone can get in or out. ALWAYS use a switch or a router.
If u send a message over a hub - anyone else on the hub can snoop into it.

KingKrool said:
Hubs are non secure - anyone can get in or out. ALWAYS use a switch or a router.
ya good answer still more reasons.

If u send a message over a hub - anyone else on the hub can snoop into it.

anyways king when u have two or more computers(with switch) do install BORGCHAT ;)

secondly the most simple reason for not using the setup as suggested by kailsh coz that setup will require additional IP request from your ISP for your other machines and they might not allow it in cases where your plan is unlimited one for home use and may also charge you more. Also there is IP MAC binding so only authorized machine can login.

If you have download limit plan then it wud not make sense to share connection with other users does it?

So thats why I say if you have just two machines then install two LAN cards in one of them . One LAN card will have the ISP IP ad the other your own private network and install a proxy server software on that machine with two LAN cards so second machine can connect to the internet via proxy.

The setup should be like this for three or more machines:
http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/diagram-nat-hub.html

For two Machines:
http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/diagram-nat-crossover.html

I know about the above spoofing. But there are other things that routers can do to make it more secure. Of course, the best thing is to create a VPN I guess.

for security there is also SSH(Secure Shell). Have u heard of SFTP(secure FTP)?

The VPN form in linux is CIPE in case u didn't know. thunderbolt's is a very a small network of two computers and he doesn't have two private networks that connect through internet :p so lets not go too advance unless it's a corporate level query

hey unix,i use the setup which i mentioned above and its running fine for me.Moreover any person outside the LAN cannot access the packets in the LAN cos for them the LAN is behind a router which is firewalled and cannot be bypassed.Yeah I agree that the packets in the LAN can be sniffed but as the setup is only bet ppl whom u trust or wat 2 comps...does it really matter?

Back