Other Ship phone abroad for Replacement. Which cheap courier services ?

Hello Guys,

My Nexus 5 bought from Australia experienced issues and Google has asked to RMA it as it was still under warranty. Now i need to send that back and asked few courier companies for the same for which they provided the below mentioned quotes :

Fedex : Priority - INR3400 & Economy - INR 2900
BlueDart : INR 4899 :eek:
Aramex, TNT, WorldNetExpress : Refused citing doesn't ships mobiles :(
DTDC : Didn't try.

Now i don't wish to spend a bomb on just shipping the phone but at the same time, i want it to reach the destination safely.

Can you guys suggest some measures on how can i workout this to be cheapest and safest ? Does Indian Speed Post carries International Parcels ?

Thanks,
BBThumbHealer :)

Since when has Worldnetexpress stopped shipping phones. Did you call on their customer care no and check with them. The post office people say no without knowing anything. I have also shipped via DHL for just 2200.

@rdst_1,I contacted their Customer Care only and didn't visit a Post Office. They refused as soon as they a heard a mobile needs to be shipped and didn't explain anything further.

Went to the DHL office, they quoted a cool INR 3880/- :(

All the courier companies are advising to go in with Speed Post. Cheapest but expect 5-7 days for shipment although its bound to reach :| But i'm wary of it.

^^ from my experience, speed post is problematic only for domestic use. Desi Service + Desi Babus = Failure.

you can rely on them for international shipping.

I used speed post to ship my Samsung mobile to USA for repairs in warranty . Normal speedpost and not Worldnet . But i think Worldnet will be better as speedpost gave no tracking updates and i was no tender hooks till it was delivered .

@kuduku , you mentioned at the post office that it contained a mobile ? If not, what did you tell them ? and what about the declared value ? Did they open the parcel to check it contents ? Actually i too will prefer worldnetexpress but they refused as soon as i told them i need to ship a mobile. Now i might say it contains an electronic toy but what if they open and check at later stage ?

In my experience here in Kolkata, worldnetexpress did open and check it, but what is inside and what can be shipped or not, totally depends on the guy checking it, I am sure if you go there, tell them its an old faulty mobile for repairing and it does not turn on ( you should remove battery from it, fully discharged and keep it in the box) I am sure, they wont even try to put in the battery and check and will most likely ship it.

@mutant : Its a Nexus .. Non-Removable Battery !! That's where all the issue is arising with couriers. So a bit skeptical with Speed Post as well.

What if i declare it as an Electronic item with a value of Rs.2500/- and the guy accepts it. But at a later stage (God forbids), my parcel gets lost in transit by Speed Post. What will then happen ? I don't think i'll be compensated to the actual amount of purchase or would i be ?

its not going to get lost, and in case of non-removable battery, make sure battery is fully discharged and it cant be turned on...then you can just say, its a defective mobile being sent for replacement...they will open the parcel and check it, so no point hiding mobile..just go to the wordnexexpress counter and you will figure it out.

Shipped the phone through Normal Speed Post for INR 1056/-. Parcel weighed 600g. Now keeping fingers crossed. They just asked what it contained and got me fill a customs declaration form which i duly attached on the box. Suggested me to be tension free and told the parcel would surely reach its destination within a week.

Now time to just Pray !! :)

So time to update this thread for the information sake of other members in future; The cellphone reached safe and sound as it is in 10 days flat i.e 9/6/14. The tracking was available till the last moment and at each step. But had to dig Google for finding the tracking details as Speed Post became useless as soon as the Parcel reached the Foreign Post office in India itself.

Use this website for the best possible tracking for international services : http://www.trackitonline.ru

Overall, a pleasant experience considering 1/4th of the cost involved as compared to the courier services. The shipment took 2-3 days extra but yes i can live with that as long as i'm saving more than 3K. :)

Back