Budget 51-70k Should I buy 4070 Super or 7900 GRE?

Choose your fighter

• Total voters
I have scoured every possible thread and post on the internet for deciding between these two GPUs and I just can't choose one to go ahead with. Both of these are excellent cards but each has its own major advantages which makes it way too hard to choose. I'll list my thoughts, pros and cons about each card here and will let you guys decide which one will be a better card for me. As a note, I'm planning on playing games at 4k60 or 1440p60 upscaled to 4k. I also don't care a lot about longevity with the card I buy (I'll use it for roughly 2 years maybe) which makes 12GB VRAM more viable in my opinion.

Price for each card:

4070 Super -> 56700 INR (source)
7900 GRE -> 54800 INR (source)

RTX 4070 Super
  • (+) DLSS is superior to FSR and if I want to upscale to 4k, I think it'll come in handy
  • (+) Better drivers, points for stability
  • (+) Smaller, more efficient card
  • (-) 12 GB VRAM hurts a lot (If this card had 16 GB VRAM, I'd buy it in an instant)
  • Don't care about RTX much (unless I can play with it at 1440p60)
  • Don't need specialized software support like Blender. I've always wanted to experiment with CUDA though but not a priotity

RX 7900 GRE
  • (+) 16 GB VRAM is very nice
  • (+) Slightly better rasterization, overall better card for pure gaming
  • (+) Much better linux support (not sure if I'll use my PC for linux but it counts I guess)
  • (-) Worse driver support and stability

PS: If anyone thinks the RX 7800 XT is a better deal for the buck (at 48750 INR), please let me know.

If you don't care about RTX, then the 7900 GRE makes more sense.

However, do keep in mind that Unreal Engine 5 games tend to include some form of RT baked in, by default (Wukong, for example). The GeForce would be a better bet, in that scenario.

Personally, I would pick the 4070S, purely due to DLSS and Ray Reconstruction (if the game supports it).

If you don't plan on keeping the card for more than 2 years, 12GB VRAM will be fine, for the most part. I have a 3080 with 10GB, and at 1440p, I haven't run into any memory limitations (yet).

Both seem like not great choice to me.

Nvidia is so stingy with VRAM - disgusting planned obsolescence. And amd cards have worse RT and esp upscaling which is getting more important with new games.
GRE is closer to nvidia in RT performance as per reviews, so atleast it has that.

DLSS is good, but its not always great. RDR2 for instance is very blurry in motion using DLSS performance at 4k/32. DLSS quality is fine, balanced could be too.
FSR quality will probably be ok too at 4k.
Also AMD CAS is super nice. Couldnt live without it on modern blurry games. AMD makes things open source unlike nvidia, so we get to use it with nvidia cards too.

One factor that has always decided for me is the 5y warranty (need to register for 3+2 years) with zotac cards and usually amd prices have not been as good as nvidia in India.
But that 12gb sucks, all of that RT and FG will be compromised if vram is not enough.
I faced vram issues (with RT) with next gen Witcher 3 at 1440p with 3080 10gb. 12gb will definitely cause issues depending on games at 4k. UE5 games seem to have lower vram requirements so they might be fine.
If you don't play the absolute latest games, then it might be fine for 4k ( i am making do with 10 gb 3080 - but playing older games anyway).
Else its probably better as a 1440p card even with upscaling.

Nvidia drivers on Linux are fine, never faced any issue. And they are getting open source kernel drivers too i think, so even OOB support might get better.

I don't think i will buy nvidia again with limited vram cards. Will instead just play older games, i have so many left to play.
If i did not care for RT(so disable or use lowest settings) and i had a gun pointed at my head, i might go for GRE too esp at 4k.
RT can be nice though and will be used more and more in future games. Hopefully amd fixes RT performance in next gen.

Maybe look for this on reddit too, many people would have the same problem. Neither card wins in a clear cut manner.

Last edited:
If you are set on upgrading in 2 years, why take the depreciation hit (say 25+ k), when you can use that difference amount right now and get a 7900xt or even a 4080? That way you get more performance right now, and won't need to upgrade in 2 years.

Get 4070 ti super or 7800xt on deals for around 45k or lower
Dram Is bottleneck on Nvidia side while Dlss on the GRE.
Won't advocate for GRE despite being a better cards for the price in raw performance but at the end of the day, nvidia's gaming add-ons are simply better. So if you go amd, just get whatever lowest price is good value because even their top end cards are behind in terms of the add-ons like Dlss

Even with nvidia's 12gb cards, you are paying a premium but there are still doubts over the the dram limitations.. just bite the bullet and go with 4070 ti super 16gb if you can't wait of next year's 50 series announcement

I have been using 7900GRE for a month now, don't think driver instability is as much as some claim. There are people claiming bad drivers on Nvidia as well (I had 3070 earlier). I had 2 crashes in CoD MWIII after 1 hr sessions, but first case might have been an aggressive UV+OC, not sure of 2nd one (had OC, but much more stable one, could have been a game issue as my friend with 3080 also had crashes at times on CoD).

Another point in favour of 7900GRE is OC potential, 10-15% extra performance at say ~295W (+15% power boost) is easy based on your luck. I got a 10% boost easily & is stable.

Anyways, I have a 4K 120Hz TV as well, so 4070S was an easy no even with the slightly superior DLSS because of VRAM. For 1440p gaming, you can make do with 4070S if you want. PC games are unoptimised these days, see Star Wars Outlaws - it has always on RT, so plus point for Nvidia but 12GB VRAM cards run out of VRAM leading to texture pop ins.

I think you should go for the 4070 super, there is very little difference in the rasterization performance and a much more significant difference in the ray tracing as well as upscaling performance and also hardware based frame gen is better than what AMD has to offer and is very usable if your base frame rate is above 60fps, the 12GB of vram is scary and can in some instances hinder performance but since you don't plan on holding onto the card for a long time it shouldn't be much of a problem. This video simplifies things much better:

*****NOTE: There are rumors that the 8800XT from AMD is going to probably release by the end of the year and is said to compete with the 4080 in terms of rasterized performance and the 4070Ti Super in ray tracing and will cost around 60k ($600 but the cost is generally 20% higher here) so if you don't need a GPU immediately and can wait for 4-5 months you should and get the 8800XT as it is going to be the latest generation will probably arrive with some new features exclusive to it, even if it turns out to a bum you can still get the 4070 super which will probably lower down in price even more by then.

I think you should go for the 4070 super, there is very little difference in the rasterization performance and a much more significant difference in the ray tracing as well as upscaling performance and also hardware based frame gen is better than what AMD has to offer and is very usable if your base frame rate is above 60fps, the 12GB of vram is scary and can in some instances hinder performance but since you don't plan on holding onto the card for a long time it shouldn't be much of a problem. This video simplifies things much better:

*****NOTE: There are rumors that the 8800XT from AMD is going to probably release by the end of the year and is said to compete with the 4080 in terms of rasterized performance and the 4070Ti Super in ray tracing and will cost around 60k ($600 but the cost is generally 20% higher here) so if you don't need a GPU immediately and can wait for 4-5 months you should and get the 8800XT as it is going to be the latest generation will probably arrive with some new features exclusive to it, even if it turns out to a bum you can still get the 4070 super which will probably lower down in price even more by then.

Hmm yeah, the new RDNA 4 leaks are making me reconsider my decision to buy a new GPU right now. But the thing is, I bought a new PC recently (this thread) and without the GPU its pretty useless since I have a perfectly working macbook. I guess I might go for a second hand RTX 3070 Ti or RX 6700XT or something till the new GPU launches but I'll be seriously disappointed if the new GPUs end up being duds.

Hmm yeah, the new RDNA 4 leaks are making me reconsider my decision to buy a new GPU right now. But the thing is, I bought a new PC recently (this thread) and without the GPU its pretty useless since I have a perfectly working macbook. I guess I might go for a second hand RTX 3070 Ti or RX 6700XT or something till the new GPU launches but I'll be seriously disappointed if the new GPUs end up being duds.
Yeah that sounds like the way to go also you should go for the 6700xt between those two it has pretty much the same performance and 8gb vram runs into issues quite more frequently even at 1440p.

This now requires the purchase invoice date to be within 90 days of import date else no 2 years extended warranty.
That's pretty shit condition. Indian laws are so lax that they allow this. This should be between seller and zotac.

Anyway, do you know if this is this retrospective ? Mine was imported on Feb22 and bought in early aug 22 so its more like 5 months instead of 3.
No such condition in email from zotac. If it breaks, i guess i will have to chase them/amazon since amazon page does show 5y warranty.

-------
Directly buying from nvidia also seems like a decent option. 3y warranty but they seem to upgrade to latest gpus if there is no stock.

Last edited:
That's pretty shit condition. Indian laws are so lax that they allow this. This should be between seller and zotac.

Anyway, do you know if this is this retrospective ? Mine was imported on Feb22 and bought in early aug 22 so its more like 5 months instead of 3.
No such condition in email from zotac. If it breaks, i guess i will have to chase them/amazon since amazon page does show 5y warranty.
This condition came somewhere in 2023 if I remember correctly. Basically, if this condition is applicable then zotac would refuse the 2 years extended warranty email but if one has the extended warranty email then it doesn't matter.

This condition came somewhere in 2023 if I remember correctly. Basically, if this condition is applicable then zotac would refuse the 2 years extended warranty email but if one has the extended warranty email then it doesn't matter.
ok then this is not that bad, if registration fails then we can return it to seller. Still so much hassle and you will have to register within return window so basically immediately.

OP, the driver support & stability of AMD cards is not worse as people claim it to be.

Nvidia drivers are also not as great as they used to be. Check the driver threads in r/nvidia and you'll know.

If you can be happy with FSR/RSR, then the extra 4GB RAM will be worth it as you're gonna play at 4K.
True, recently Nvidia drivers have been bad in general with many waiting for newer versions in the hope they fix their issues.

Back