Should I buy LCD TV from Bangkok?

I'm leaving for Bangkok on 8th Sep. I have heard people buy LCD TV's from there. I mean, a lot. They say you can tell a flight from Thailand has landed by looking at number of TVs in luggages :D. My questions:

1) Is the warranty valid in India?

2) If not, is buying from Bangkok equivalent to buying without bill from Gaffer Market, Delhi? Is there still a price difference ?

3) If I don't want it, can I sell it here or some place else(please suggest)?

1. No.

2. Yes, there is an appreciable price difference when compared to buying a unit from a grey market here in India.

3. You may. Depends if someone is willing to pick up an imported unit.

Gannu said:
1. No.

2. Yes, there is an appreciable price difference when compared to buying a unit from a grey market here in India.

3. You may. Depends if someone is willing to pick up an imported unit.

2. Any idea how much difference, like in percentage?
think123 said:
^you can get lcd from bangkok but there will be no warranty,but will be much cheaper,go for sony if buying from there.

Any specific reason for Sony? Low rate of failure?

And I have heard people buy 32 inchers only. Duty issues?

Deus Ex Machina said:
2. Any idea how much difference, like in percentage?

the discounts increase as you go for a higher priced mode. so more expensive the LCD/LED TV more are your apparent savings.
Deus Ex Machina said:
Any specific reason for Sony? Low rate of failure?

sony says they want uniform pricing across all their dealers so getting a discount/ bargain for a sony is difficult with the official channels

Deus Ex Machina said:
And I have heard people buy 32 inchers only. Duty issues?

may be or for the permissible weight issues. I am not much aware on this topic.

2. That is pretty much subjective. Most folks bring a 32 incher from Thai, Sgp & Malay which retails for around 19~22k INR abroad. The same LCD is priced at around the 30k mark here via the official retailers.

32 inchers can be easily accommodated in the cabin and if the front seat is opted for, you can rest it vertically up. Since the passenger sits behind it, the LCD will not topple over. However, sending it through check-in baggage is a risky affair. The people who deal with loading/off-loading cargo simply toss the baggages and boxes to and from the flight's baggage holds.

No problems w.r.t. customs duties. Since the TV is priced <25k INR (retail pricing at the country of import), it comes well under the limit.

^^ I am travelling with AirAsia. It is a no-frills service; I even had to buy my check-in luggage space(there was none included) :)

So, I don;t know if they will allow a TV in cabin-luggage.

^I don't see a reason why they wouldn't let you do that. You just need to persuade them to let you take the TV inside the cabin. :p

My friend just got a 46' Samsung series 5 led from his trip... Its priced around 1 lac in India... he got it for 50k.. with 1 year international warranty... had to pay around 8k for customs so total for 58k.

yup my friend got a 46 lcd from bangkok and he checked it in cargo no issues..get it from thai the biggerthe better and pay the customs ppl still you get a better deal alternately u can look at laptops and other electronic items also..

cravikum said:
yup my friend got a 46 lcd from bangkok and he checked it in cargo no issues..get it from thai the biggerthe better and pay the customs ppl still you get a better deal alternately u can look at laptops and other electronic items also..

noo baba , lappy and other stuff are almost the same as INDIA ... but TVs are half or less priced ...
in thailand .. there are shopping fests in bangkok and Singapore . Good discounts u get these days on top of price gap..

I am running a cool life as 40 incer ULTRA thin LED i grabbed from a christmas sale in USA for 27k , brought here via borderlinx
after shipping and customs 46k , even very cool price as such models were 1L + here !

IMO buying from bangkok = getting from Indian grey market (Perhaps a slight difference). I think if you buy it from Bangkok grey market, then its worth getting it as the price may be half the showroom price...

Perfect even I'm traveling to Bangkok via AirAsia in the last week of Sep, and planning to get a LCD... will keep an eye on this topic.

Deus Ex Machina said:
^ I don't think Thai customs will allow me to take a TV outside without a bill. Ditto for Indian customs.

my friend told that the thai customs require you to submit the original bill to get VAT refund at bangkok airport and the mumbai customs will permit you when you bring a 32 inch LCD. my friend bought his samsung LED tv from a sardarji's shop in a mall in bangkok but he had to bargain a lot to get a sweet deal.

Back