Disciple
Hey Guys,

My system specification :-

Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz.

2x2GB DDR2 Zion RAM @ 800Mhz.

Intel® Desktop Board DG33FB.

Corsair HX450.

Asus GeForce 8500 GT Silent.

I was looking to upgarde my graphics card and was thinking of going with the GTS 250. I wanted to know if there was something better in the same price range,not higher but preferably lower(maximum 8k,not a penny more can I afford lol). I game at 1440x900 so I really don't need a beast. I'll be shopping online so if you guys find a sweet deal feel free to link me to it.

Also would my Power Supply unit be able to provide the required power output?

Cheers.

EDIT :-

Should I wait for Nvidia 450's maybe? How long till they get released....if it's a month or so,I can certainly wait.

There is no GPU under 8k at the moment capable of playing DX11 games with decent settings

So, you could get a HD4850 :) and you can get a second-hand one for ~5k

Rogues said:

Should I wait for Nvidia 450's maybe? How long till they get released....if it's a month or so,I can certainly wait.
Your PSU is very much capable of handling even higher power consuming cards :)

GTX450 wont fit in your budget, and there isn't any official date of release given by them yet IINM and September is a speculation

It would be priced around ~9-11k perhaps

Hey,

Thanks for such a quick reply.

I don't need to game at DX11, I haven't been upto date with the recent game releases but I think there aren't many games that support it. DX10 or even DX9 is fine for me I just need to game at 1440x900 at high settings.

Also the reason I was asking if I should wait till the release of 450 was because then maybe the price of 5770 would fall below 8,000/-? Right now it's hovering around 9,100/-

And where can I get a second hand ATi 4 series graphics card ? That wouldn't be too bad,if there is some warranty left over.

Cheers.

You can get a second hand one here at TE

There is no need for a GTX450/HD5770 (i.e. if you will not be playing Crisis at Ultra high with 4xAA), if I were you I would get a second hand 4850

You may also buy a new one (4850), but Im not aware of its price, must be around ~7-7.5k

And BTW you are very much welcome :)

if you dont want a dx11 card then you can surely buy a 2nd hand 48xx series of ati

a guy was selling a 4870 at around 6k or less than that

or you can also buy a 5670

Alright I'll look for a second hand 4850 or a 4870 ? Where exactly should I be looking other than the market forums here?

Cheers.

joel.monty said:
GTS 450 will be for 10k,not worth w8in for in ur case would get the ATI HD5750,dont get a ati 4xxx series card now.
Why not a 4xxx card? :S

Wasnt there just 1-2 games having Dx11 option? And btw I don't think that if a person wants to play games at Dx11 he should consider a sub-10k card for it.

Suggestions should be according to needs, OPs budget etc. Please think before posting irrelevant stuff/suggestions

joel.monty said:
GTS 450 will be for 10k,not worth w8in for in ur case would get the ATI HD5750,dont get a ati 4xxx series card now.
Please do not use SMS lingo on this forum. THere is a sticky somewhere about this.. Read it first.

Also, I say, you should get a 5xxx series card such as a 5750 (its almost equal to 250 or a 4850 in terms of performance) or above. The reason is that its a newer tech and is very power efficient and runs cooler than the 4xxx series.. Also, in the future, you will have less hassles about RMA, if ever you need it as by then 4xxx series will no longer be in the stock.

atiamd said:
Please do not use SMS lingo on this forum. THere is a sticky somewhere about this.. Read it first.

Also, I say, you should get a 5xxx series card such as a 5750 (its almost equal to 250 or a 4850 in terms of performance) or above. The reason is that its a newer tech and is very power efficient and runs cooler than the 4xxx series.. Also, in the future, you will have less hassles about RMA, if ever you need it as by then 4xxx series will no longer be in the stock.
RMA should be a non-issue as they would provide equally performing newer series card if the older card is discontinued.

With the HD6xxx series rumored to be released in Dec, 2010 even the HD5xxx would be out of production 2 years down the line.

joel.monty said:
450 wont be 10k 460 768mb is already there in that price range...it should be around 7.5-8k

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Rogues said:
Hey Guys,

My system specification :-

Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz.

2x2GB DDR2 Zion RAM @ 800Mhz.

Intel® Desktop Board DG33FB.

Corsair HX450.

Asus GeForce 8500 GT Silent.

I was looking to upgarde my graphics card and was thinking of going with the GTS 250. I wanted to know if there was something better in the same price range,not higher but preferably lower(maximum 8k,not a penny more can I afford lol). I game at 1440x900 so I really don't need a beast. I'll be shopping online so if you guys find a sweet deal feel free to link me to it.

Cheers.

EDIT :-

ur best bet right now is either go for second hand 4580 or 4870 else 5750.....but even i suggest to wait for a month if u r not in hurry to buy

Thanks for all your input guys, I went ahead and got a second hand 9800GT and I think it should be able to play almost all games at 1440x900 and medium to high settings,so I guess I am set for now.

Personally I won't be upgrading to anything newer on my PC right now. I remember a few years back I got the P4 3.06 and soon after that the shops here had Dual Core processors. I felt devasted.:p I'm gonna wait till AMD releases the bulldozer and Intel releases whatever it's got in the pipeline and then think of an upgrade. Plus the newer Fermis and the 6xxx series is also about to come out.

Cheers

Back