Budget 90k+ Should I go for Intel or AMD based config?

pauldmps

Skilled
Apologies for my ignorance but I have not been keeping up with the latest CPU trends. As far as I can remember, AMD Ryzen series was the outperforming Intel series in the past few years but it seems that Intel is not offering similar performance at lower prices. I really need to decide which platform to choose. I want to save as much as possible in other components so that I can but a decent GPU. I am planning to build a PC in Jan 2022, also I am in Germany so I will check out the local prices as per the recommendations provided here.
  1. What is your budget?
    • 1L-1.2L (Can stretch further given the current GPU prices)
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • NA
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • NA
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Need to decide Intel or AMD so that I can
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
    • GPU - 3060Ti probably unless there are better options in AMD in similar (jacked up) prices?
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Hope that the config lasts for few years of gaming
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Berlin or online German retailer
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • NA
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • AAA Titles - Control, RDR2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Cyberpunk 2077 etc.
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1080p (or 4k if possible)
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • WIndows 11

3060Ti should get you good performance at 1080p, High settings with Ray tracing enabled in most games. For CPU, you can go for AMD 5600x + B550 motherboard or Intel 12600K + Z690 Motherboard with DDR4 RAM, which ever is cheaper. Both will perform equally well.

Okay so I have finalised the config and already ordered the GPU.
Please go through the below config and let me know if something looks incompatible. I am a bit concerned about the clearance of the cooler (front mounted) + GPU (3-fans) in the case, but all the pictures and videos that I have seen looks like it'll fit.

Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6cores 3.70GHz
Motherboard - MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI
RAM - 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX LP DDR4-3200
SSD - 1TB WD Blue SN570 NVMe
GPU - ASUS GeForce TUF RTX 3060 Ti O8G-V2 GAMING (Already purchased as its not always in stock)
PSU - 750 Watt MSI MPG A750GF Modular 80+ Gold
Case - NZXT H510 Flow MidiTower
Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 240mm All-In-One Watercooling
Monitor - LG UltraGear 27GN800-B, 27", 1440p, 144Hz
Keyboard & Mouse - Some Logitech wireless combo that I'll decide later

The MSI B550M pro VDM WiFi seems like a decent board and even has a 125A Tier VRM. It should be good for the 5600X and even for a minor upgrade in CPU later on.

Since you do not intend to overclock or upgrade much as per the first post, this should be OK..
However, if you do wish to upgrade to a higher core count CPU down the lane and run it super reliably, one tier upgrade may be looked into. This can allow you to move to even a 5950x when those are cheap on the 2nd hand market a few years down the line.

Back