Should i quit studies ?

sunzeal

Disciple
Hi

Had this though from a long time but today was the peak.

I am from Thakur doing B.Sc IT (final year ) and they have the worst professors.

First my interest lies in Networking and Server Administration ( Linux ) and the subjects and portion is the worst and completely opposite of what i want to learn and very bad teachers makes it worst.

Today, i showed JQuery mini-project (it was for 5 marks ) , our teacher said that you cannot add own plugins, you have to edit the libraries ( i downloaded from Jquery ). Like she opened the JQuery library file i downloaded and showed me a area ( 2-3 lines ) and said where is it used in your project, i said its not used anywhere, she said than you should remove it from library, and rejected my project.

Its like if you want to use System.out method in C#, you need System library only to print, other functions should be deleted :( My mood completely went out, i asked a Web Developer he said your miss is crazy.

------------

Anyways, back to point, by time i complete my graduations ( not sure i can do, no interesting subjects ) i can do certifications.

Can i get job based on many certifications like CCNA, CEH, RHCE and others related to security / networking / redhat without graduations ?

Their was like ( 10-20 ) vacancy for WIPRO and their were like 1000-2000 students of Masters and bachelors trying to opt for that low paying jobs, i mean, i spend so much efforts in bachelors than so much money, time, efforts in masters than ultimately i have to opt for like 15-16k job than its useless, right ?

It's a bad economy for everyone, if your interest lie in networking do course in networking, and try to get ccna and ccnp exam pass. You will get good job base on these. But yes good job always require graduation unless you want to start your business

Getting a Job without graduation is not difficult, you can get a job based on certifications or revelant experience, but I would not recommend that path, at any point of time your package/designation will be lesser than a guy with similar skillset and graduation, it will be hard for you to grow, bcos higher positions like Manager and above require graduation even basic level of it will also do!

Yes, I also advice you the same....Just complete your graduation for the heck of it....It is a very essential part of your career.
You can do networking related certification courses alongside your graduation, But do complete your graduation.

i am doing B.Sc IT right now, and currently M.CA or M.Sc IT is considered as good as B.E or B.Tech.

For that ( M.Sc or MCA ) i have to spend more like 3 years and more 3 years of my life wasted on studying things i don't like.

I was shocked when i say 2000 students accumulate for few jobs, even Masters students were their, that too for law salary jobs.

I am thinking to start business and i can't live under people 8-9 hours a day doing whatever they say, but i do need experience.

But by time i finish M.Sc or MCA ( equivalent to B.E ) i can do like 5-6 major certifications that too where my interest lies in. So was v confused.

i am doing B.Sc IT right now, and currently M.CA or M.Sc IT is considered as good as B.E or B.Tech.

For that ( M.Sc or MCA ) i have to spend more like 3 years and more 3 years of my life wasted on studying things i don't like.

I was shocked when i say 2000 students accumulate for few jobs, even Masters students were their, that too for law salary jobs.

I am thinking to start business and i can't live under people 8-9 hours a day doing whatever they say, but i do need experience.

But by time i finish M.Sc or MCA ( equivalent to B.E ) i can do like 5-6 major certifications that too where my interest lies in. So was v confused.

There will always be 1000 students applying for few jobs if you dont like that then you have to be a part of some reputed college where companies themselves come to hire.

Starting your own business is great but I think you should have at least 2 years of work experience after college.

IT is a huge domain, so you have to figure out what you want to do.

If you think you are so better/wise, then you should have cracked the top entrance exams and got into top institution. Truth is you are just a ordinary kid from a ordinary college. Nothing special is there about you. Honest. If there was, you wouldn't have been in a online forum asking for strangers where you should go or what you should do. Like it or not. Anyways its just my opinion. Brash it is, I agree.

Every year millions pass our of engineering itself. They are preferred over BSC/BCA/MCA/MSC due to lots of reasons. One of them and most obvious is business. Billing rate etc.
So please remove the notion that all are same. its not. What they learn and you learn are different. Very different.Lots os same stuff too though :). Sometime better. :D Best way to identify this is, to see the job profile for recruitment. I am not in a stage to explain much about this. But this what I have come to known from ~20 years exp managers from this field in top MNC's. Indian and international.

And the part where u get paltry salary. How much u spend for education? A CTC that a company calculates also depends on that. They are paying u 16k Per month.
For lots of people, its a huge amount. and no u wont get the 100k USD jobs right away or atleast for some near future. Unless you hit big. :D

You are just at a stage where u are bored or just not feeling to work harder. Yes. Our syllabus and teachers are nothing to write about. But the degree you earn does have a value. It will help you in a long run. Please also remember, you are in India. and an Indian. So the opportunities may not be the same available to everyone.

I think you should go for MCA instead of just trying to get a job immediately. You are looking at the 3 years in mca as waste of your life but I see it as a great oppurtunity. you could do lot many personal projects in 3 years. today is not like 10years ago. today any college grad can do a project and put it up in the market place and earn money out of it too. if you want to be an enterpreneur then joining mca would be the best thing imo.

on the other hand, if you give up studying and join a company like wipro, you will never have time for your personal ideas in the next 3-4 years of your job. and things like 2000 people for 20 vacancy should not be a problem when you keep yourself on the top of the food chain. remember that the fastest gazelle survives.

and about the lecturers; just remeber that after 12th you are on your own. its true even in case of best institutions.

PS: I got a job soon after my bca. though I never regretted getting a job but if I had some guidance and vision in my college days I could've been lot better.

@m-jeri :-

well indeed, i did my Diploma after 10th in EXTC, i could had done B.E in EXTC ( where everyone goes right now ) but EXTC was just not my field and it was not allowed to shift from Diploma in EXTC to BE in IT so i was forced to do B.Sc IT as EXTC was not my liking. Even i had got job offer after Diploma, but rejected as no use doing job in field which you don't like.

Only problem was, i have liking into Linux much, and you see, their are no specialization bachelors or masters into my liking field, they are like in General fields.

Even 13k job is ok, but matter what is that it should be in the field which you like!.

So, the only doubt i had is that today in industry, which is more preferred, Graduation or Technical Skills.

Last edited by a moderator:
Complete your graduation ... if you want to get a respectable job to start with. Unless you are willing to slug it out for the next 5 years or so and gather all the other certifications in the world. Then and only would you be able to draw a decent salary. Like others have said ... suck it up and complete your degree ... take it as a patience test coz you'll be giving a lot more patience tests in the future.

Dude @sunzeal suck it up. When you actually complete your studies and then join a company you will come to know the difference in the view HR and Managers have when you have a Masters and when you don't have one. It really does not matter which Masters you got. You can do a MBA if u want to do something different.

Agreed you love Linux very much. That's nice. There are certified courses by RedHat called RHCE and some advanced courses too.. you can do them, only after completing your Academic studies. I also agree with you that professors are a bored bunch of ppl who cannot pass their time elsewhere & come to college just to see kids suffer. All are not like that tho.
Anyway coming to the topic, if you dont finish up a degree or a Masters, not only getting a job will be difficult, but progressing up the ladder will be a more uphill task compared to Degree / Masters people.
Keep tinkering with Linux daily if you may to discover things and do new things but concentrate on academics and complete them.

Wish you all the luck with your decision.

Education qualification is normally the first round of rejection process for those 10/20 posts.
Unless of course if you can out shine otherwise.
Certifications of course gives an edge, but thats not all. Everybody knows how to clear them - just mug up the dumps. (may not be for all)

Even after my 5 years of IT experience, recruiters ask me my education background and I have been rejected few times just because I am not a Btech.
(they call me seeing IIT in my resume. :p I am just an Maths MSc from IIT).

As someone suggested, go for MCA and do your side projects and excel in them.
You don't always have to go for a job - amateur are very well paid too.

But certainly quiting the degree is NOT a good idea.

That is probably the most stupid thought you have in your head. Landing a job is not difficult using a cocktail of MS, Cisco and Red Hat degrees. But most blue chip companies will not touch with you a barge pole unless you are a graduate. You will probably be employed by a contracting agency and you will get to work as a contractor for the blue chip IT companies.
Your thought reminds me of a friend who did exactly what you are thinking. At first, everything was great, but when it came to appraisals he used to get low ratings because he was an undergrad.
Thing is, the final decision is up to you, but if you check with any IT engineer in the market who is an undergrad and working and ask him if it would have been better to complete his graduation, most of them would reply with a Yes.

well indeed, i did my Diploma after 10th in EXTC, i could had done B.E in EXTC ( where everyone goes right now ) but EXTC was just not my field and it was not allowed to shift from Diploma in EXTC to BE in IT so i was forced to do B.Sc IT as EXTC was not my liking
Too much short term thinking. Should have put up with a BE in EXTC and you could have had a good shot at better IT jobs. Bringing this up is not to blame you for what you did, but you're thinking the same way now. Think about the big picture before you make serious choices.

Certification courses no where stand to the Educational Masters Degree in the longer run of life and I agree with all the members who have suggested you to complete your Masters. Hope you take the right decision, if you discontinue now then you'll regret in next 5 years.

oh, thanks alot guys for your help.

I will complete my graduations and than do certifications followed by masters in the most likely field which i like.

Thanks alot for all your help :)

@sunzeal - As all have said best to do Graduation and Masters. As you Like Linux be part of the open source world and be updated and contribute.

Last edited by a moderator:
One more advice, try joining technology groups of your interest. participate in open source projects or develop applications etc... As I am a programmer, I would suggest you to get on to programming than network administration. but its finally up to you. if you are really into the network administration then try learning storage administration and SAN. best of luck.

i am into System Administration ( Linux ), so i have my likings into networking too, m not into programming much.

The reason why i thought about these stuff were because of teachers, nowadays what is happening is : " Those who don't get jobs in companies are becoming teachers ".

Their are some v good professors too who have interest in teachings, but i am saying about other part of it.

We have teachers who can't answer a single question outside the book and they just copy the syntax from paper to board.

Even my mini-project was rejected due to stupid reason saying that your j-query library consist of so many functions and methods which you have not implemented. Instead of seeing my project, she opened my j-query library file ( downloaded from jquery.com v1.8 ) and selected line which mentioned " text area " and said where is this in your project, i said this is library and not everything can be implemented, and she was blunt and rejected my mini-project.

I am like too tired of going to college now because all the thing i see is that they taking paper and reading from it, they don't help in practical, nor have knowledge to answer the doubts, only thing left to do is ratta :( :(

Just to mention, i am from B.Sc IT ( Thakur ) , never go their, everyone is tired of such teachers. College takes v high fees provides worst teachers :(

Back