Should I shift to WIn 7 64bit

Back up any data if required and format it. I'm assuming here that you have the OS on a separate hard disk and not just a separate partition.

@ Anilreddyv99

update your drivers dude, check your manufacturers website, I'm sure updated drivers are there

I agree with rajndra if u are planning to increase ram then only u should shift to 64bit..otherwise both are the same...
Infact the games like gta4 uses more of vram on 64 bit...when i played gta4 on 32 bit at full effects o 1680x1050,it was useing around 400 mb v-ram ,but when i changed my os to 64 bit it uses around 650mb...u can see it in the setting screen...
So, my opinion is ,if u r planning to increase ram & v-ram..then only u should upgrade to 64bit....otherwise stay on 32bit

hey guys help clear my hesitancy about going Win7 64bit. I don't have any exp whatsoever with 64bit OS, so I truly am not sure about it. I know that most laptops with 4GB come with 64bit pre-installed and that the software compatibility is great but this is what I'm reluctant about.

1. There are a few hiccups I've heard that happen with programs and games sometimes compared to 32bit. This is to be expected!

2. I know all the RAM is utilized well, but most games aren't 64bit designed, so what's the point? I only remember first incredible Riddick had separate exe's for 64bit and 32bit. If games are going to run in 32bit mode on a 64bit OS, then the game itself will never really utilize the RAM...right?

3. There are tests conducted with games on both 32bit and 64bit OSes, and have proved that the games themselves do not take the advantage in general. This is was done like in XP days. OSes and game engines have changed now so I don't know the picture. Infact diff game engines will react differently, so I cannot make a sweeping statement.

Why am I harping about games?

Coz I don't need a 64bit OS for anything else. I do photoshop work, but it's very light, doesn't need a 64bit OS. games are the only things I can think of that can utilize if designed for 64bit power.

As a side note - Remember back when AMD introduced 64bit Athlons touting it to be the future making it appear as though 64bit computing's going to be mainstream soon. What a marketing trick, and looking back a load of crock! Win7 64bit is NOW becoming mainstream with 4GB RAMs shubbed into lappies and desktops.

I have played Warcraft 3, Assassins Creed 1 & 2, Batman : Arkham Asylum, Crysis : Warhead, Mirror's Edge, Left 4 Dead 2, Mass Effect 2, Splinter Cell : Conviction etc. on my Win 7 64-bit. Never faced any of the problems mentioned, PC runs smooth as butter. Higher RAM means games and scenarios load quicker, so 64-bit does help.

Though I had shifted to 64bit, I cant really comment on games stuff coz I dont play anything other than Virtua tennis 3

rest everything is running smooth... happy with photoshop performance

@ Nir[V]aNa's and ashvarybabul

Hey cool, I really wanted to know that, especially about games...Phew Now I have the FULL confidence to jump to 64bit from your great experiences...Thank you! and ashvarybabul, u play the not so well know game (as compared to like NFS or Counter Strike) Virtua tennis 3 on it gives me even more confidence to try Indie games that I sometimes like to try!

Back