Graphic Cards Should i upgrade AMD catalyst from 11.4 to 11.6?

Altair

Skilled
As the title says i wanted to ask is it worth?

Is 11.6 better than 11.4?

Cause currently i am not having any issue with 11.4 but still..

Check the log for 11.6 unless it offers some improvements in games you play don't bother

@OP

Updating graphic drivers just for the heck of it is not really advisable all the time. Many have run into problems like crashes, BSODs etc. for the same reason. As bottle said, you should always take a look into its log before updating the drivers & not rely solely on hearsay/user reviews.

asingh said:
^^

Which VGA you have though.

Kira said:
@OP

Updating graphic drivers just for the heck of it is not really advisable all the time. Many have run into problems like crashes, BSODs etc. for the same reason. As bottle said, you should always take a look into its log before updating the drivers & not rely solely on hearsay/user reviews.

This was one of the reason i wanted to know whether to upgrade or not. As member's said it is worth I updated the driver and it is working fine, I don't know if performance is a bit enhanced or not cause i have not played any game after updating...so will play and then will update.

today 11.7 released .
any improvements over 11.6 ?

Wait for tweaktown's ATI Catalyst Driver Review ;)

actually its a bugfix driver

ATI Catalyst 11.7 Changelog said:
  • All issues experienced with mouse cursor lag have been resolved
  • Log event (Event ID 62464) issues when playing video content have been resolved.
  • Resolves system hangs seen in the AMD Catalyst 11.6 driver on specific HDMI and DP displays.
  • Bluray playback using PowerDVD 10 under High Performance mode no longer randomly displays a blank screen.
  • Some Divx format files no longer display video corruption using WinDVD.
  • AMD SteadyVideo is now applied to Home Video clips using WinDVD 10.
  • Chequerboard corruption is no longer displayed intermittently when playing DirectX 10 titles in a Crossfire configuration and Eyefinity enabled.
  • Shogun II now renders the cinematics correctly when run in various Eyefinity configurations.
  • Video playback now works correctly when Hardware acceleration is enabled with VLC Player version 1.1.9.
  • Crossfire now functions correctly when playing Hamilton’s Great Adventure.
  • PowerDVD now correctly handles 3D Bluray content.
  • Portal 2 no longer displays flickering on water surface textures with Medium and Low Shader detail settings.

AMD Catalyst 11.8 Preview Driver is also out : AMD Catalyst

Catalyst 11.7

Bugfix and stability oriented driver.

Carries same performance enhancements from 11.6.

Advisable for upgrade, specially if you're experiences any of the listed fixed bugs.

Catalyst 11.8

Preview (beta-like) driver.

Performance oriented, quite a few performance updates.

No reviews yet to know about stability or any other known issues.

Expected to carry 11.7 bugfixes.

I'm on 11.7, and it carries all the performance updates of 11.6. Also, I didn't have any particular issues (from the listeb bugfixes of 11.7 release notes), but overall 11.7 seems pretty stable.

Might try 11.8 next week. Will keep you guys posted.

Back