Should I Upgrade or Get a New Rig All Together?

artikle

Unknown Member
ex-Mod
My current configuration:

Intel Core2Quad 9400 2.66Ghz 6MB L2 cache

Intel DG33FB Mother Board

Intel Onboard Graphics(lol)

2x 2GB Transcend 800Mhz DDR2 Ram

Seagate ST3500418AS 500GB HDD

Mercury case with stock 500W PSU

It will primarily be used for gaming and 3d animation work. I want to realise my dream of playing crysis at the max settings(enthusiast) at 1080p without any stutters:) And I want good performance in new games like metro 2033 and also upcoming games.

Budget for new rig: max 80,000 but I would like it as less as possible.

I am looking for a rig that can be upgraded for a long time. That is i want it to be future proof. Adding more ram or a better gfx card or processor should be a breeze. And I want this rig to last.

DISCLAIMER: I am not rich AT ALL this will be a VERY BIG purchase for me and I want extreme value for money as well as performance.

UPDATE: I DECIDED TO GO WITH THE NEW RIG. PLEASE SUGGEST SUITABLE CONFIGS.

If u want ur rig to be futureproof then I wud recommend u to wait for some time coz sandy bridge based processors are going to launch on 5th Jan which I think is not too far... And bulldozer core processors are also going to launch in 2nd quarter of 2011... But I think waiting for bulldozer core will b way too much for u...

Consider adding a suitable graphics card and upgrading the PSU.

Let others here suggest the right GFX card and then the PSU follows from that.

GTX 470 or HD 6870 with 500w psu.stock psu will not handle this buy a branded 500w psu.

later u can use card and psu with new rig.

Guys i decided to buy a new rig. Please give your suggestions for suitable config. Updated this in the first post.

@Hades It is ok for me to wait till Jan 5 for the processor, but do you think the processors will fit in to my budget? And will they work on existing motherboards or will new boards be released along with the card? I am only scared because the initial prices may be too high and I definitely need a new computer by Jan 11 max. And I want to finalize the remaining parts by then.

Check your CPU aprox performance Gaming CPU Hierarchy Chart : Best Gaming CPUs For The Money: October 2010 Tomshardware recommends
I don’t recommend upgrading your CPU unless the potential replacement is at least three tiers higher. Otherwise, the upgrade is somewhat parallel and you may not notice a worthwhile difference in game performance.

You May add graphic card Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart : Best Graphics Cards For The Money: November 2010

In short run you may update your Graphic Card and Power Supply. You can invest moderate amount in PSU as it is one time affair. As far as GPU is concerned there may be GPU update in every 6 month or So.

As your CPU is decently powerful. I thing better to go with PSU+GPU update later on, you may go for Platform change in this case you can always Keep GPU and PSU.

Can't really suggest a new rig till such time Sandybridge is available in the market. And I suggest buying only after the prices have stabilized.

Not upgrading for a long time, well if you mean about 3 to 4 years than yes, with a budget of 80 grands you can easily build a rig that wouldn't require an upgrade (that is you don't get irked by a CPU that runs 200 MHz faster or a GFX card that gives 2 more fps... I think that's a total waste anyways)...

CPU + Mobo: Let Sandybridge arrive, it promises better performance than the current i5 & i7 series processors. Also its on a different socket which will make the current 1156 & 1366 series out of date (Intel has this nasty habit :mad:)

RAM: 4 to 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 (Corsair, Mushkin, GSkill), 6,000~7,000 for a 4 GB Kit...

PSU: Buy a Corsair VX 550.. ~4,800

HD LCD: 10,000~14,000

Graphics card: Running Crysis with all bells and whistles, now that's a really high requirement, I believe only GTX 580 ,GTX 480, Radeon 5970 & Radeon 5870 are capable of doing so (please correct me if i am wrong)... 22,000~30,000 for any of these...

That leaves about 30,000 for the CPU+MObo... That should be able to get you the i7 930 & corresponding combo (hopefully)...

Hope this helps...

Also you can buy the GFX Card & PSU right away... and add the rest stuff later...

@St.John Thanks for the suggestion:) I just now read the review of the new sandy bridge pocessors at anandtech and was pretty impressed. So I am with sand bridge for now. I will be needing more the 4gb of ram and intel core i series require tri channel for best performance so i either need to take 6 gb or 12gb(3*2gb or3*4gb). Also I would need a bigger psu maybe 850w? This is because I would like to add a second 5870 or 5970 to run in xfire after some time when their prices are low enough. BTW where did you get all these prices?

I got the prices from theitwares.com for RAM,GFX & PSU... CPU & Mobo is a guess because i7 930 + X58 chipset would cost you about 30 grands... 850 Watts might be an overkill you could go with the Corsair 750 TX (7,000) or if you insist on a 850 Watts then Seasonic 850 (7,150)/ Corsair 850 (~7,500) is a good choice....

I Crossfire or SLI is what you are aiming at, then 750 Watts should be what you are looking at else Corsair 550 will suffice for a single GFX setup... And the prices, that'll take sometime to lower because these are flagship cards... But that depends totally on your choice, since you said you won't be upgrading for some time...

just buy a used graphic card like 9800gt or gts 250 for your current rig ...play games....and wait for sandy bridge and new GPU's

get a gigabyte gtx 460 soc for now and when u get ur new rig... get another... also upgrade psu to corsair 750W... i suggest a core i7 950 proccy because if ur gaming u dont really need anything more than that... with a decent cooler u can overclock it to 4.2 odd Ghz.... this is more than enough processor for even 2 Gtx 580 cards... waiting for sandy bridge is all well and good but its not gonna make much of a difference in gaming... on the other hand u could wait for the Gtx 560 ... but that might take a few more months to get here... im just saying since u are budget conscious this would be a good solution for you...

Update: Guys I decided to get a 6870 now and then again another one in january and then run them in xfire. How good is this idea and can someone suggest the best brand and also the best sub model and where to get it for the best price?

pranaywhiz said:
Update: Guys I decided to get a 6870 now and then again another one in january and then run them in xfire. How good is this idea and can someone suggest the best brand and also the best sub model and where to get it for the best price?

was about to tell u that..i mean update GPU as your current config is too good for the current games and only crysis, gta4, metro 2033 and few others would lag (ultra high settings)but again thats just not even 5-6% of the total gaming world. Since you are planning to invest 80k of your (or ur parents:))hard earned money, wait for the Sandy bridge if ur an intel fan or AMDs offering and allow 4-5months for the new hardware to settle in price (especially in india) and updates(i mean the initial bugs) and go for a new rig around july-august time..

But in my opinion -- New Rig should come to discussion only when all your components really don't offer any performance.. and in your case Quad core not fully explored by games, 4 gigs is well sufficent, HDD out of the equation (space), so the main 2 parts are 1) PSU and 2) GPU and for PSU DarkAngel has given the best choice availalbe and for GPU i would say wait for a month for the 6950 and 6970 to come out.. don't know but i still go for a single card solution:p so my guess is that the 6970 should be some 10-15% slower than 6870 crossfire and should be around 26-27k, 3-4k less than 6870 crossfire..irrespective of GPU, the PSU update is a must..

So with your current config, new PSU and GPU i am sure u should be able to play all the games for the next 2yrs without any issues @ ur resolution (1920*1080) and after that if the world is still there beyond 2012 then go for a new rig:D

Also the GPU and PSU update would set you around 35k and the remaning 45k will be well enough to get a mobo+cpu+ram+hdd+chasis around july-aug 2011..

thegame said:
if the world is still there beyond 2012 then go for a new rig:D

lol:-D Your posts are as funny as they are informative! I am actually wanting a new rig because my present motherboard doesnot let me overclock and has only one pcie 2 slot. I basically do some 3d rendering and simulations and so need a good cpu(I would have been happy if I could just overclock my present cpu and my ram)

@Dark Angel Thanks! That was very helpful.

Guys I am now feeling scared that I might miss physx. Does it really matter? I know it is based on personal preference but I just saw some cryostasis and other physx demos and am nto able to decide right now. Is there any alternative from nvidia side(Actually I chose amd because of the good price/performance and low power consumption and as far as I understand the present nvidia cards have problems like too much heat, sound and power consumption?)

PhysX reminds me of Mafia2.. where my 5850 couldn't do anything.. again the HD videos on youtube with Physx (nvidia cards) were looking awesome..but its just one game i felt i missed the green train..gtx 570 and gtx 560 are on the way..and 570 should be in line with 6970 so here goes my usual reply..wait for a couple of months..again stop your wait once the 6950/6970 and gtx570/560 are out..:)

In 2months time -- get a GPU + PSU --35k.. Sandy bridge will be out in Jan first week so i guess you can also plan the rest of the rig for 45k..if u r an intellion..:)

Update: :-( Found out just now that my psu is a stock 450w. So if I buy a 6870 now will this psu be sufficient? The idea is that I add a 6870 to my present rig and play till I buy the new rig and then add another 6870. I will not be getting money till January so I cant buy a psu along with the card now. I am totally free this december and november and thought I would game like hell until I found out this bitter truth.

BTW the whole idea of buying a 6870 now came out because I wanted to game these two months.

THE NAIL ON THE COFFIN!!: I found out just now that my motherboard has a pcie x16 slot only and not pcie 2.0 x16. Can someone suggest a good way to commit suicide :death:

Back