CPU/Mobo Should i wait for Conroe?

techboy

Adept
You all remember that ATi displayed its radeon 1900 series crossfire benchmarks a few months back. Really high scores, and may be much more than what it can actually play games today at. Can crossfire play the most intensive of all games at 20X15 with aa and af with 100fps( don't count Oblivion and GRAW), not sure of figures and all, but they were really high. Other than being really high, they showed themselves several times better compared to nvidia, like nvidia best single card getting sub 40fps(maybe around 25) and ati best crossfire getting >100(around) 120 fps. but all this wasn't true, right?

Similarly, conroe isn't even out yet, and the benchies are only of specific pieces shipped by the company, right? So obviously the real benchmarks don't have to be that promising. For example if the benchi cpus overclock really well, the normal market ones may do 20% for example when the benchies shoed upto 40%, these fugures are fake. but please try to understand.

Also, the performance may be 10-15$ more and not around 20%, though this is less likely, I agree.

I am not saying that conroe is crap or isn't better. But what I am saying that to know the real truth, it is better to wait a month or two atleast and hear the user reviews. Then comment and upgrade. In the next 2months no games will be out which will outdate your cpu especially if overclocked, but if you do spend money for something that isn't all that great, there can be a loss.

so, just wait, may be another month or so. Agreed?

Well i Dont Generally Agree With What Techboy writes,but He Has Made a Valid Point,U Cannot Judge Performance Based On Test Specific Product Which Are Sent out For Reviews,I HAve Nothing For Or Against People Who Are Waiting To Buy This,As It is Their Choice

@Techboy U Say To Wait And Then Judge Whereas Your Post Title Suggests Something completly different

Well I generally Read Your Posts Coz Most Of The Time They Are Pretty Funny,And As For The Topic's Please Make Appropriate Titles

There are plenty of stepping 5 cpus too in hands of common people now. This is the release stepping and its overclocking the best out of the ES lot thats out at the moment with reviewers and also in the hands of some impartial enthusiasts.

Now there are plenty of systems out there consistsntly showing similar performances. And these are the systems assembled by enthusiasts and not Intel. The performance of conroe has already been proven.

Techboy those slides of Nvidia and ati were released by respective companies. this is not the same senario. here actiual working hardware is in hands of reviewers and general public and they have ran common test application on this platform. I dont see any reason to doubt these numbers now that its not comming from intel.

There are plenty of results now floating on all top enthusiast forums.

Athlon 64 is good, but conroe is simply much better. And you will have entry level dual core conroe at very competitive prices. Lets hope AMD slashes prices quickly on its dual core X2 and opterons.

It will take 1 revision for AMD to catch some ground to conroe and another fresh release to match it. I just hope amd comes back with bang with K8L.

techboy said:
2008 will be the come back of Amd, may be a bit later

The problem is, Intel is not standing still. They seem to have learned a lot from the past 3 years.

Their next microarchitecture Nehalem will release in 2008, a 32nm shrink in 2009 with Nehalem-C, and another new marchitecture Gesher in 2010.

The problem with AMD is long-term R&D. They depend on IBM for most of their long-term research; and Intel is better than even IBM in process technologies...

In the short term, AMD will most probably be able to at least catch up with Intel with K8L. And until Intel gets CSI in (which could be in 2008), AMD has a great chance of improving their position.

Back