Storage Solutions Shucking Report: Seagate Expansion 12TB

rudiv

Disciple
Just received a Seagate Expansion 12TB I ordered from Amazon for my media server. To my surprise it was a nice Exos X18 helium-filled CMR drive.

The data sheet for the model is here: https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/datasheets/pdfs/exos-x18-channel-DS2045-4-2106GB-en_IN.pdf

Shucking process was extremely easy as with most Seagate external HDDs; just had to pop the clips on one side of the chassis and the HDD + PCB assembly just slides out. Few screws later and you have your drive.

Unfortunately, the warranty check on the Seagate website didn't return anything for the drive's serial number (said to contact support, happens sometimes with shucked drives).

Attachments

• IMG_0778_lowres.jpg
    IMG_0778_lowres.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 184
Yup, that's the one!
Unfortunately, the warranty check on the Seagate website didn't return anything for the drive's serial number (said to contact support, happens sometimes with shucked drives).
Some posters on r/DataHoarder have said that Seagate will still honour the warranty for 1yr (warranty period for externals) at least and may honour the 5yr warranty the Exos drive has if you're lucky.

I remember seeing people doing there doing a full burn in test to check every sector before shucking because once an exos drive passes that then there's very little chance of it failing later on.

Any idea if the 4tb drives will have exos hdd inside

I really doubt it. I was relatively surprised to find an Exos in the 12TB, because they do have worse units in that size. I’ve shucked a couple of 1 and 2 TB Seagate externals in the past and they’ve always been bargain bucket crap. That was 5+ years ago; with the increase in storage sizes, I think that would apply to 4TB now as well. I have another report on a WD 6TB, and that was a crappy shingled drive, so I wouldn’t be hopeful.

Back