OC & Modding Side panel fan howling menace !!

bobbyprajan

Disciple
I upgraded my cabinet to a CM USP 100. Had couple of CM R4 fans lying around, installed one as rear exhaust and one as side intake. All fans except CPU fan are connected to a Lian-Li TR-3B. The fan connected to the side panel is making a howling sound. If i put my hand over the grill of the side panel fan, the howling stops. How to fix this annoyance ?

Bobby

its the lack of lubrication.

open the back side sticker of the fan, open the rubber cap and add one to two drops of lube in it.

it should work fine ;)

ggt said:
its the lack of lubrication.
open the back side sticker of the fan, open the rubber cap and add one to two drops of lube in it.
it should work fine ;)
I dont think it is due to lack of lubrication. The fans were working fine (fairly quiet) as front intake and rear exhaust in my previous cabinet CM Elite 334.

Bobby

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

surajspai said:
even i have this issue.

i put some spacers between the fan and the grilles.this has reduced the noise by a large extent.

I will try this, do you remember what size were the spacers !

Bobby

i did try lubricating.fan is an 80mm ADDA.at low speeds,noise is ok.at full speed,it is like a miniature mixer-grinder.without the grills,no issues.i dont have this problem with xigmatek fans.

@Bobby,i used 1/2 inch rubber pieces,see if they are good enough for your fan,i mean they get the noise down..placed them where the screw posts are.this also reduced vibrations.make sure the rubber is firm and the fan doesnt wobble and fall off.had to use long srews to hold it in place.ghetto,i know,but it worked.

there has to be a better way to do it.because lots of people have fans as intakes,so i guess,better someone else chips in.

and for my fan,i cut a small piece of paper the size of the fan hub and stuck it on the grill right in front of the fan hub(this was without the spacers)works just as well.

Back