"Silverwolf pack" home server worklog thread (need advice for Linux distro selection)

ronnie_gogs

Morphing from a Geek to a Nerd
Skilled
PROJECT : Silverwolf pack

Ok here goes another home server thread :bleh:

I thought that I need a full time download home server as well as a file server. Have a PIII lying around in working state

Specs
PIII 550 Mhz
Ram SD 128 MB
HDD 80 gb x 2 = 160 GB

External maxtor one touch 200 gb

So I bought myself a cheapo case to house te entire rig
Here are the pics

The case which I got for 900 bucks including the generic PSU

Some cable management :)

Got myself a cheap USB PCI card so that I can attach USB drives to the server

Progress so far :

Got the HDDs on 15th June
Testing done on 16th June
Bought the Case on 23rd June
Setup on 25th June
Installed Kubuntu 25th June

Current status..... kubuntu too heavy for the system :mad:

Still havn't bought the router as I am havin payment issues :(
This is the thread for that query ( Hopefully will get the Buffalo WHR-54S)

http://www.techenclave.com/networking/help-in-choosing-parts-home-network-113279.html

Ok here is the problem now

I have been referring a lot of articles and found these to be priceless :hap2:

http://www.techenclave.com/guides-and-tutorials/how-build-low-cost-linux-home-102018.html

Building a Home File Server | Linux Journal

Simple Home File Server (Based On Ubuntu) | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

So as adviced I installed the Kubuntu

But prob is tht its super slow..... after 1 hour installation I need a fast or workable OS.... don't want eye candy but i need a workable OS

I mean I used to run XP on this setup few months back and I expected linux to be faster than the performance its giving now :mad:

So I did some research on light linux distros

These are some that I got

1. TinyMe

2. ZenWalk

3. Puppy

4. XUbuntu

5. Arch

6. DSL

Now I need advice in choosing what

I read this review and Tiny Me is best according to that

Review: Lightweight Linux distributions | Abandoned Zone

PS : Server needs to run headlessly based on VNC for remote administration :cool2:

Guys help plz

Well I am a Linux noob.... installed fedora 4 once and ran it for a few months and thts it.... I am just a click click kind..... damn xp made me this way :(....So i would prefer something which is easy to install and configure.....

I can't understnad the terminology of compiling of drivers as I am a completely new to this....

I downloaded TinyMe

and SMS

and Mini Server yesterday

Will be trying them out today

Need to buy a RW too..... Can't afford buying so many CDs

Any more distros I should try out....

I need to run a torrentflux or another equivalent torrent software

if you need a download server, dont install full fledged linux+GUI like kubuntu (KDE is heavy) or fedora
go for a text only debian install...that should give you support for all hardware you have (dunno details about router)
use the netinstall iso (minimal install), then install more packages as required like wget(or any dlder), router packages, yadayadayada
apt-get FTW

If you can build Arch Linux then it is the super fast distro. But its a DIY distro , you have to compile everything by yourself. So stay away if you want to save some time..

Apart from that try some XFCE / Gnome based distro.. namely Xubuntu , Dream Linux, Mandriva XFCE , or Foresight Linux [Ubuntu Variant]

Stay away from PCLOS , Tiny Me . these are pathetic compiled OS..

I just don't get why people wrote guide on Kubuntu one of the most pathetic KDE based distro.. using it will make you feel KDE is a $#!^ . .Superczar guide can be used in Xubuntu too.. While finding same package in Mandriva will be much easier.. I haven't used Dream Linux so can't say about its repositories..

I have very little knowledge about Server and its stuff else I would have posted a guide !

nukeu666 said:
if you need a download server, dont install full fledged linux+GUI like kubuntu (KDE is heavy) or fedora
go for a text only debian install...that should give you support for all hardware you have (dunno details about router)
use the netinstall iso (minimal install), then install more packages as required like wget(or any dlder), router packages, yadayadayada
apt-get FTW

prob with that is that I an a linux noob :ashamed: ...and I want to learn linux by using it for something important...
Also I will be using the server headlessly and it will be most probably controlled by a computers with windows XP installed
H2O said:
Go for Win 98 or an older version of ubuntu like 6.0

As I mentioned... I want to experiment with linux now... and I figured that if I don't use it for something important I will never learn it....;)

So i will stick to linux
Also options are huge in linux.... Just looking at the options available made me very happy :hap2:
Anish said:

thanks for the link....will try it out too

Dark Star said:
If you can build Arch Linux then it is the super fast distro. But its a DIY distro , you have to compile everything by yourself. So stay away if you want to save some time..

Apart from that try some XFCE / Gnome based distro.. namely Xubuntu , Dream Linux, Mandriva XFCE , or Foresight Linux [Ubuntu Variant]

Stay away from PCLOS , Tiny Me . these are pathetic compiled OS..

I just don't get why people wrote guide on Kubuntu one of the most pathetic KDE based distro.. using it will make you feel KDE is a $#!^ . .Superczar guide can be used in Xubuntu too.. While finding same package in Mandriva will be much easier.. I haven't used Dream Linux so can't say about its repositories..

I have very little knowledge about Server and its stuff else I would have posted a guide !

^well thanks for the reply....I will use all the above mentioned distro....

Guess it will just be a trial and error frm here on... Have to see which suits me best...

Getting a DVD RW today and will keep installing as long as I don't find the perfect match

just doin on a google on light linux distro yields million of hits...
I will try atlest 10-15 distros and check the performances....

@darkstar
any guides or guidelines that i should keep in mind

Use Mandriva Xfce/Gnome , one your choice :)

For servers install drakwizard base and webmin packages (plus their dependencies) The best way to start out building a web server is with the Mandriva wizard. All the others I think are easier, more comprehensive in webmin.
Plus webmin is a great way to learn Linux stuff.

Back