PC Peripherals Simple HTPC setup

Blugene

Adept
Hi friends,

need to setup a decent htpc for myself. Budget - arnd 10-12k (without display, memory, gfx card, hdd, spkers - already have those from an earlier pc setup)

Just about to get the following for a htpc setup...requirements are not that demanding though.

Requirements

1) Should play 1080p vids smoothly

2) would be attached to a 32" LCD TV

3) processor - support for virtualisation - may require 2/3 Virtual OSes/appliances for security testing purposes.

4) MB should support HDMI+e-SATA
Components

AMD X2 5200+

Asus M3A78-EM/Asus M3N78-M

PSU- CM 390W/ CX 400

Cabby - CM elite 334/?Anything else (may be an antec nsk2480)

given the budget, there is very little choice to choose from. maybe i can add a 3-4k more and get a decent case like NSK 2480.

Any suitable intel based setup arnd the overall budget? anything else i need to look for?

looking fwd to ur valuable inputs.

TIA.

The setup you've listed looks fine!

On an equivalent Intel setup, everything upto the E7xxx series would not have virtualisation, so that pretty much rules them out.

If you can, try sourcing the AMD X2 7xxx series procs; should be better clock for clock.

Spring for the CX400, the better efficiency would translate to lower heat levels inside your case.

IMHO, the NSK2480 would look more like a HTPC case. Plus I think it comes with an EA380 PSU already (?), which would rule out the need for PSU ^^.

Back