Slant stand, harmful?

I have an HP gaming laptop. Also, a stand which I got from Amazon. It helps lift the laptop by an angle ( say up to 45 degrees ). It is really helpful but at some point, I got worried that whether keeping the laptop inclined all the time ( I leave it on the stand while sleeping ) is harmful. I am from the old HDD days and even though the laptop has an SSD, I am a bit worried to keep it that way for long.

1688640222328.png

This is the kind of stand I have. I am currently using the laptop normally. Wondering whether I should switch back to that stand.

I have an HP gaming laptop. Also, a stand which I got from Amazon. It helps lift the laptop by an angle ( say up to 45 degrees ). It is really helpful but at some point, I got worried that whether keeping the laptop inclined all the time ( I leave it on the stand while sleeping ) is harmful. I am from the old HDD days and even though the laptop has an SSD, I am a bit worried to keep it that way for long.

View attachment 172404

This is the kind of stand I have. I am currently using the laptop normally. Wondering whether I should switch back to that stand.
Its a laptop, meant to be carried around. why do you think keeping it at 45 deg will hurt it?

the only problem will be if the stand is blocking its air vents.

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

As for why I am worried, an entity with moving parts reacts differently when kept slant than flat. That's how forces work.

As for why I am worried, an entity with moving parts reacts differently when kept slant than flat. That's how forces work.
so you think all devices should be oriented the same way right from manufacturing line to shipping to your home/office installation?

Clearly, you missed some basic physics at school

Note: Hard disk orientation doesn't matter as long as the orientation is not (suddenly and repeatedly for long durations) changed while the Hard Disk is spinning. Also, it seems like people designing the HDDs with moving parts have thought about these basic transport and QOL issues and have engineered them in such a way that they are resilient to these changes. No one missed basic physics in school, that's the point, we design things that are resilient to such basic scenarios. Forget those, I have seen defense-contracted HDDs (very small in storage size though) that are resilient to blasts :cool:.....engineers huh stupid people

Last edited by a moderator:
The only moving part in your laptop is fan. Fan pulls air and it does not matter how your laptop is positioned. All you do is keep the vents clean and unobstructed. Hope you do not bring physics and all into this.

You are free to think what you like. I had a question, I asked here.

All the makings of an internet troll. You have a good future. I replied to a cheeky reply with standard logic. I guess something that is unknown to you.

You should try social media, will get a lot of company.
Of course man, you should ask the silliest of questions that's what this forum is for, just saw an opportunity to plug in a joke that is all :). All in good fun mate, we are all friends here. Live and laugh.

I replied to a cheeky reply with standard logic. I guess something that is unknown to you
he wasn't being cheeky he was just awestruck. And come on, I wasn't the one judging someone's schooling. As a matter of fact, he could have Ph.D. in physics. I know that you don't for sure but the original commenter might you know. And that come-back, you could have done a lot better with the material I gave you know.

Also, you wouldn't believe not only am I social media free, I am Google and big tech free too. Whatsapp doesn't count though, my mom would throw a self-propelled, radar-guided flying chappal If I do not reply to her good morning GIFs with a heart emoji. I don't remember a single time when she has missed hitting me, DRDO should do some research on Moms.:D

Last edited:
Sure, have fun. I am a Mechanical Engineer with decent exposure to robotics. Built them using bare hands. But unlike some others, I do not think I know everything. I learned Engineering before Google, from textbooks.

Some people obviously understand everything about physics and more. If I have a doubt, I ask. That is how I learn. I have no grudge. Been on the internet for more than 20 years now. Seen my share of trolls.

Sure, have fun. I am a Mechanical Engineer with decent exposure to robotics. Built them using bare hands. But unlike some others, I do not think I know everything. I learned Engineering before Google, from textbooks.

Some people obviously understand everything about physics and more. If I have a doubt, I ask. That is how I learn. I have no grudge. Been on the internet for more than 20 years now. Seen my share of trolls.
Ok, let's shake hands and be friends. And yeah that's the way to learn, just have a lil fun along the way at each other's expense though :D

You are over-thinking it. This what we are trying to tell you.

Let me give another physics example. The mass of hard drive changes when there is more data stored but it is so negligible (in grams) that nobody cares. Do we have to buy more sturdy case because the mass changes by few grams? I don't have to go to physics and all to find perfect angle and weight resistance whatever for my PC. It just works, changes are negligible. Only worry is around keeping the airflow unobstructed, keeping parts clean and doing regular maintenance.

PS: My cousin is IITan in mechanical engineering and he still needs my assist when it comes to understanding electronics and computers. He is amazing at mechanics though. Please don't bring eduction and qualification into this. And oh btw, my engineering too is before Google so is for many others here.

Last edited:
LOL. This is more of Vishwa Bandhu Gupta style of discussion, not Sheldon's. Getting worried when there is no worry, bringing all this rain/physics/chemistry into the discussion. ;D
We haven't evolved to match his level of intelligence though. Also all my family pictures are wet this monsoon, I forgot to get my pictures off the cloud.

I got my answer last Friday, from all those helpful replies from this forum.

I was asked why I was worried or why I asked this question. I simply stated why.

Then all of a sudden when the next Friday is almost due, someone tried to pull a joke out of a solved thread. I tried my best to be logical.

I have been on forums for decades. I know when someone is making fun of you. That was not at all a productive reply. I simply responded in the best way I could.

Maybe I am wrong, I asked a stupid question. But you would never know until you ask it.

Back