Slow(er) download speeds with MTNL Triband

#*&^@&* MTNL @*%*&@# seem to have blocked piratebay. haven't checked any other sites. It opens through web proxies, so the site definitely aint down.

its not just piratebay.. there are certain other sites that dont open up as well.

Just checked again.. still the same. Someone has to call up MTNL & explain the crap to them!

Piratebay's working again. So it was a DNS issue and not MTNL blocking sites?

Funny, because i think the modem is set to use Dynamic DNS from dyndns.org. Or am i confusing Dynamic DNS with OpenDNS?

edit: turns out i was confused. Changed the dns settings in the modem to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 (openDNS) servers. It might be just a feeling but sites seem to load faster. I don't mean the whole site, just the initial access time seems to have decreased.

I am into UL999 Plan. But my speed sucks like anything.. Sites open real Slow.. Torrents give speed around 60-70Kbps. Which actually should be around 120kbps. (1MBps/ 8 ) :)

My PC uses Celeron Processor. 1.5 GB Ram. Is my net speed slow due to my obsolete processor? or is someone else facing the same problem.:mad:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Download Connection is:: 485 Kbps about 0.5 Mbps (tested with 6152 kB)
Download Speed is:: 59 kB/s
Tested From:: Broadband Speed Test and Internet Bandwidth Community (Main)
Test Time:: 2010-04-30 07:33:46 GMT
Bottom Line:: 8X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 17.36 sec
Tested from a 6152 kB file and took 103.936 seconds to complete
Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 20.65 % faster than the average for host (net.in)
D-Validation Link:: Member Stats
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 [!]

:mad:

rishikesh12345 said:
I am into UL999 Plan. But my speed sucks like anything.. Sites open real Slow.. Torrents give speed around 60-70Kbps. Which actually should be around 120kbps. (1MBps/ 8 ) :)

My PC uses Celeron Processor. 1.5 GB Ram. Is my net speed slow due to my obsolete processor? or is someone else facing the same problem.:mad:

A powerful pc will always give better results, but not to this extent. There is definitely some issue somewhere. Chk the router config page (http://192.168.1.1/) and confirm the downstream rate first. It should show around 1024 kbps. Next, if possible, try testing with another pc or a friend's laptop or something. Your OS could be messed up too.

Just got the connection today, had opted for the 999 plan but thankfully getting around 200-230 kBps in torrents and downloads. :hap2: Now enjoying it till it lasts.

However the speedtest.net results are looking awfully bad and for some reason not showing the exact connection speed. Irregular spikes in the progress indicator of the speedtest during the test. :( Something to do with the servers I feel.

@rishikesh12345

Thanks for that link mate. Performed a long test on testmy.net and it results in the speed of 2.2 Mbps which is about what I'm getting now. Speedtest.net results have become pretty unreliable these days.

I have a small doubt here.

im on airtel ul 1299 plan,i.e 512k during day and 1 meg during night.

My downstream rate shows 2.4 mbps :O

is there some way to make it work at 2.4 mbps then,instead of 512kbps..? ;)

(its just that mtnl guys are getting speeds way higher than thier prescribed plans ,so was curious).

cd2dc378773131

glowfoto

There can be various levels of capping a line. The downstream rate as shown in the router config page is a physical limit placed on the dsl line. Once that cap is placed, nothing beyond that will give any faster speeds. However, even if the router's downstream rate is capped at say 2mbps, if the server is configured to cap at a lower rate of 512kbps, then the line throughput will be 512k. The lowest speed cap at any point will be the max line speed.

Back