Slow speeds on Beam fiber?

swatkats

Skilled
Are you Guys getting Good Speeds? Well, In my Case the so called 15mbps plan Good Torrents max out at 1.2mb/sec and Http downloads speeds are however fine maxing out at 1.6-1.8mb/sec

I Feel Youtube and Torrents are being throttled. Did any one notice this?
If you are on 15/20mbps plan observe what speeds you are getting on Torrent downloads & If you are browsing youtube videos check the bandwidth being consumed through Stats for nerds or via bandwidth monitor software.

This Throttling thing is Going on during peak hours.

Are you Guys getting Good Speeds? Well, In my Case the so called 15mbps plan Good Torrents max out at 1.2mb/sec and Http downloads speeds are however fine maxing out at 1.6-1.8mb/sec

I Feel Youtube and Torrents are being throttled. Did any one notice this?
If you are on 15/20mbps plan observe what speeds you are getting on Torrent downloads & If you are browsing youtube videos check the bandwidth being consumed through Stats for nerds or via bandwidth monitor software.

This Throttling thing is Going on during peak hours.

1.6-1.8mbyte/s sounds about right on a 15mbit/s plan. As for your torrents - maybe their torrent cache needs an upgrade, or maybe simply they need to upgrade capacity somewhere.

If they were throttling, do you really think they would only throttle by <30%? 80-90% reduction in speed sounds more like what would happen, otherwise it sounds pretty weird to me.

If they were throttling, do you really think they would only throttle by <30%? 80-90% reduction in speed sounds more like what would happen, otherwise it sounds pretty weird to me.

My Definition of throttling - Torrents hardly touching 800kb/s earlier i have seen Touching 1.6mb/s ( Now don't teach me lessons about Seeds and Stuff)
480p videos Struggling to load sometimes and 1080p Too Struggles. When i monitor the bandwidth meter goes from 0.8mbps to 8.3mbps

THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN DURING PEAK HOURS - 12:00 to 22:00 Hours. DURING NIGHT There is no Such Problem Cos there is Less Network Load.[DOUBLEPOST=1373222793][/DOUBLEPOST]There you go at 00:15
f6zFAWj.jpg

My Definition of throttling - Torrents hardly touching 800kb/s earlier i have seen Touching 1.6mb/s ( Now don't teach me lessons about Seeds and Stuff)
480p videos Struggling to load sometimes and 1080p Too Struggles. When i monitor the bandwidth meter goes from 0.8mbps to 8.3mbps

THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN DURING PEAK HOURS - 12:00 to 22:00 Hours. DURING NIGHT There is no Such Problem Cos there is Less Network Load.

Your definition of throttling does not actually mean there is throttling. Run a glasnost test during peak hours and it will tell you. Run a traceroute to Youtube or some other website or the speedtest.net IP addresses and see if there's a jump in pings somewhere.

Has it occurred to you that, as mentioned in my previous post, it might simply be congestion? It happens. It's not unique to you or Beam or India.

Doesn't matter whether it's India or NZ or Australia or the USA or UK or most of Europe, between mid-afternoon and bedtime, the speeds are going to be slower than they are at 2 or 3 or 6am. Why? It's not throttling, it's simply that more people using the net. And it's completely normal behaviour for networks to experience a slowdown during hours where there is more activity. It's a simple fact of life (see the paragraphs near the bottom).

Yes, perhaps Beam could use a bit more caching or maybe a Youtube content delivery node (I am under the assumption that they still get Youtube from Mumbai) or more bandwidth to make the experience better during those hours but the reality is that there isn't actually anything *wrong* going on (from what information I can gather); and they will only be required (speaking only with regards to the regulations, not necessarily good business strategy and such) to upgrade the amount of bandwidth they have when they are using over 80% of the available bandwidth for 95% of the time or something like that.

Normally I'd be defending the consumer here and saying "that's not good enough... $ISP should do stuff better!!" but to be honest, in this particular case, I'm really struggling to understand what your complaint actually is. You said so yourself that it only happens during peak hours - you can surely deduce the same conclusion I have from that.

This is Not the First time I'm Using the Internet From Beam. I haven't Seen Nearly 50% Download Speeds ( of the package) anytime During Peak Hours.

THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN DURING PEAK HOURS - 12:00 to 22:00 Hours. DURING NIGHT There is no Such Problem Cos there is Less Network Load.[DOUBLEPOST=1373222793][/DOUBLEPOST]There you go at 00:15
f6zFAWj.jpg

You yourself say it happens only during peak hours and torrents seems to have good speeds according to your numbers. It doesn't see to be throttling.

Ps: you don't need a beam user to tell you this.

You yourself say it happens only during peak hours and torrents seems to have good speeds according to your numbers. It doesn't see to be throttling.

Ps: you don't need a beam user to tell you this.

Hello, This is a Different Issue altogether. This is not about Numbers here, Now its common Logic that Your Internet Speeds during Nights will be Good as Network load during that point of time is less.

Now, I'm Talking about 50-60% Download Speeds During Peak Hours for Torrents. This hasn't Happened For me in the past XX months.
Youtube Video Tends to buffer at 1080p and Speeds during Playing youtube videos ~5-7mbps( as i notice this on Bandwidth Graph meter and Previously it used to be 10~12mbps) , this is not Generally Expected on an 15mbps plan and . I should call this a Heavy Network Drop than Throttling.

I'm Asking for Experiences of Beam users ( @kippu, @tufel @krisballa @dexBG) to know Whether am i the lone guy who faces this problem or this is common with others?
Enough Said.

Last edited by a moderator:
@swatkats I'm not a fan of torrents, so I don't know much about throttling. But, yes I have noticed slow Youtube these days and also Facebook :( . Otherwise I'm getting good speed. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
yes I have noticed slow Youtube these days and also Facebook :( . Otherwise I'm getting good speed. :)

There You go! I'm Not sure about your tariff plan. But do onething while watching youtube videos observe the bandwidth Monitor( if you have) or Stats for nerds and you could see 480p videos loading at 0.8-1.3 mbps. The worst case is 720p and 1080p buffering.
Earlier it used to go 7-9mbps. Their Network is overloaded definitely .

There You go! I'm Not sure about your tariff plan. But do onething while watching youtube videos observe the bandwidth Monitor( if you have) or Stats for nerds and you could see 480p videos loading at 0.8-1.3 mbps. The worst case is 720p and 1080p buffering.
Earlier it used to go 7-9mbps. Their Network is overloaded definitely .
Video streaming has certainly slowed down. Can't say the same for torrents as speeds vary from torrent to torrent.

Not sure about torrents but Youtube buffering is a problem everyone seems to be facing. I'm on Airtel using an 8Mbps connection and Youtube sometimes buffers even 360p videos...Speedtest and other bandwidth measuring sites don't show any drop in speed. This is definitely an issue on Youtube's side...

Video streaming has certainly slowed down. Can't say the same for torrents as speeds vary from torrent to torrent.

thank you for confirming.

yes torrents i see are tapering off at 1.2-1.3mbps

For me max 1mb/s

Not sure about torrents but Youtube buffering is a problem everyone seems to be facing. I'm on Airtel using an 8Mbps connection and Youtube sometimes buffers even 360p videos...Speedtest and other bandwidth measuring sites don't show any drop in speed. This is definitely an issue on Youtube's side...

Anyways thanks for Informing us. I was Interested in Beam Experiences.

There is problem with YouTube Video Buffering on other ISPs as well .. YouTube is at fault.

OP, Are you using Public or Private Trackers ?

I have observed a big difference in speeds on both ..

360p,480p Videos buffering on Dailymotion and 480p Vid Buffering on Youtube. any one facing this buffering issue. It's irritating Right now i have hit FUP and im getting 2mbps.

Torrents are doing fine this time.

http://smartvideo.ashishmishra.in/

Use this Chrome Addon, it works wonderfully well and has been providing unstuttered playback ever since I started using it.

• Control how you want YouTube videos to buffer
  • Uninterrupted video play
  • Control over video quality and player size
  • Other small things which you miss on YouTube®
  • All of the above for embeded and HTML5 videos also
Delivers on each of these ..
One of the best things is that if you seek to an area which has already streamed then YouTube doesnt buffer that part again .. and continue playback from its existing cache.

This is probably the longest downtime i have experienced in the last two years. 5+ Hours.
It seems like a login page issue.

Last edited:
Back