Car & Bike Small car for ~4L (Chevy Beat?)

DarkAngel

Skilled
Apr 10, 2009
as i said before the two dealers in my town are maruti and chevy. Mine is a small 'c' grade town and even chevy set shop only last diwali. Before that the only option was maruti.
Its highly improbable to ta,e the car for a 120km round trip and waiting there till evening for getting it serviced.

Supra

Skilled
Feb 10, 2005
@ Mohit ---- Brio , no doubt is a way better car. But plz check OPs budget (which he is already exceeding) and going for a Beat LS which should be around 30k cheaper than the BRIO. Resale value is useless here as OP plans to keep the car for > 10 years. Also spare parts cost for Honda is at least twice the cost. Plus 3 years service free which will cost at least 25k min in Honda for around 10 free services + wheel balancing + washing/cleaning costs etc.

A Beat rear light assembly costs around Rs 1200...same for Honda Brio will be 3k (speculating) min ! Honda spare are expensive when you compare to Maruti/Chevy which way cheap. Of course quality of spares suffer , but how many of us care about that. We are talking about all those small dashes/accidents where we dont claim insurance....Chevy/Maruti bill will come to 2k...Honda will rip you for 7-8k. At least thats what happens in Bangalore according to numerous complaints in Team-bhp.

Honda City 14kmpl in city...not possible at least in Bangalore is what I can say. People report 11-12 max here and as low as 9-10 with AC and back to back heavy traffic ! I dont know where spawnfreak is getting his figures from.

As of Beat expect this :

Worst case B2B Traffic AC ON City --- 13~13.5 kmpl (after initial 1500 km where you can get as low as 11~12)

Normal Traffic AC ON City --- 15 kmpl (after initial 1500 km where you can get as low as 11~12)

Highway AC ON --- 19~20 kmpl

Highway AC OFF at night (good plain highways like Blore-Mysore with less traffic) ---- 23~24 kmpl

spawnfreak

Adept
Jul 25, 2009
Supra said:
Honda City 14kmpl in city...not possible at least in Bangalore is what I can say. People report 11-12 max here and as low as 9-10 with AC and back to back heavy traffic ! I dont know where spawnfreak is getting his figures from.
mjumrani said:
Offtopic: The fuel economy you are quoting is highly improbable. I own a city and its economy comes nowhere near what you say. Same goes for my friends who own a city.

I have no idea about Bangalore or Mumbai metros but since I live in a Tier 3 city and my usual commutes are to and fro to a tier 2 city, the economy figures i've mentioned are very much correct in my case. Also, I was able to extract a mileage of 17.5kmpl from my iKon petrol which had a very bad reputation as an oil guzzler. Rest don't know about others coz most importantly, it depends on an individual's driving style.

mjumrani

Skilled
Aug 18, 2008
New Delhi
Supra said:
@ Mohit ---- Brio , no doubt is a way better car. But plz check OPs budget (which he is already exceeding) and going for a Beat LS which should be around 30k cheaper than the BRIO. Resale value is useless here as OP plans to keep the car for > 10 years. Also spare parts cost for Honda is at least twice the cost. Plus 3 years service free which will cost at least 25k min in Honda for around 10 free services + wheel balancing + washing/cleaning costs etc.

A Beat rear light assembly costs around Rs 1200...same for Honda Brio will be 3k (speculating) min ! Honda spare are expensive when you compare to Maruti/Chevy which way cheap. Of course quality of spares suffer , but how many of us care about that. We are talking about all those small dashes/accidents where we dont claim insurance....Chevy/Maruti bill will come to 2k...Honda will rip you for 7-8k. At least thats what happens in Bangalore according to numerous complaints in Team-bhp.

As of Beat expect this :

Worst case B2B Traffic AC ON City --- 13~13.5 kmpl (after initial 1500 km where you can get as low as 11~12)

Normal Traffic AC ON City --- 15 kmpl (after initial 1500 km where you can get as low as 11~12)

Highway AC ON --- 19~20 kmpl

Highway AC OFF at night (good plain highways like Blore-Mysore with less traffic) ---- 23~24 kmpl

Then Beat no doubt makes more sense. But really wish you could get the safety features. But I think there is quite a bit of difference between LS and LT.

F3niX

TechH0LiC
Skilled
May 12, 2009
Hyderabad,AP
about.me
I am a Big fan of Chevy Beat, and suggest you to just go for it eyes closed.

I have also been on a lookout since last 1 year xD

I have seen i10,Beat,UV-A,Ritz,i20,Spark,Zen Estilo,Polo,Swift,Fiesta, All New Fiesta, Jazz, All new Jazz,City, Vento,Brio etc.

My budget ranged from 4L to 7L..

My First booking was i10, But after seeing it in real, opted out.

After a lot of Discussion, Booked Jazz X, but as the waiting period is about 5 months, opted out.

Beat was and is my Heart's only option.. But as we are a family of 4+a Driver, We needed more rear leg room and space.

So just go for it dude. No other cars I saw came close, except Jazz, that too was slightly Overpriced IMHO...

Finally what I want to say it, Just go for BEAT.. You will not regret it at all..!!

Supra

Skilled
Feb 10, 2005
But really wish you could get the safety features.

Brio S MT (option Pack) with ABS and Airbags is like almost 6L On road in Bangalore ! No chances u will ever get AirBags/ABS within even 5L on road budget on any decent hatch.

Also Honda City owners what is the all inclusive cost for service charges + consumables for the 1st paid service(15k kms ?) and 2nd paid service(25k kms?). My colleague told he spent almost 9k total on both the services ! Beat total service cost for 3 years is 15~16k !

Also standard warranty is 2 yrs 40k kms now (reduced from 3 yrs 60K) , compared to 3 yrs/1L km on Beat

Dont know how reliable it is ...but check out the maintenance cost of Honda City and Vento :p

http://www.dwsauto.com/maintenance-...-of-all-petrol-sedans-in-rs-5-lakh-rs-8-lakh/

adder

Skilled
Jul 8, 2007
The brio should be cheaper in TN,we can't compare the prices of bangalore which is the worst place to buy anything cars are expensive,fuel and pretty much everything.

I was reading OD mag they said the brio is more spacious the swift(but has a really tiny boot).

mastersquall

Boomshakalaka! mastersquall.com
Adept
Jun 11, 2010
Delhi
www.mastersquall.com
DarkAngel said:
as i said before the two dealers in my town are maruti and chevy. Mine is a small 'c' grade town and even chevy set shop only last diwali. Before that the only option was maruti.

Its highly improbable to ta,e the car for a 120km round trip and waiting there till evening for getting it serviced.

i suggest get chevy beat atleast you won't have to travel long distance for service . Its good car . seeing how etios has done quality work i feel brio can get same treatment so better go for tested car like Chevy and maruti

sumchamp

Skilled
Dec 17, 2007
I would suggest Chevy Beat purely based on following reasons:

1. A year old car(tested and issues are known to the community compared to new Brio).

2. Service near to your place.

3. 3 years hassle free service(hopefiully hassle free :p)

4. Cheaper than Brio and fully loaded(comparing high end model).

sydras

Skilled
Jul 11, 2006
Have you test driven the new Wagon-R? It is more spacious than the old one.

Looking at your previous car selection and current requirements, I think that the Wagon-R is good fit. Since it's a Maruti, availability of spares won't be an issue. Servicing costs will be cheap. It is a tall-boy so ingress and egress will be easy for your father.

If I'm not mistaken, it has better rear legroom than the Beat. The Beat has a very notchy gearbox and a very claustrophobic rear bench. I did not like the interiors too. The LT version may have a lot of gizmos but after you are done playing with them, the things that matter come into play i.e. proper in-cabin space, legroom, availability of service centres etc.

You may have already decided on getting the Beat but just test drive the Wagon-R with your dad and get his opinion. Since you're purchasing interval is 15 years, increase your budget and get the better variant of any car. The money won't matter after some time.

Supra

Skilled
Feb 10, 2005
^^ I guess the problem with Wagon R are :

1. Dated Looks. 90% of the ppl dont like it much because of Boxy Looks.

2. 3 cylinder engine

3. Suspension is not at all good and ride is quite bumpy.

Other then cheap Spares and Maruti Brand/Service...there is no way I can think anyone will recommend a WagonR over a Beat. The build quality, interiors can't even be compared to be honest. Beat Leg Room ...I dont want to talk abt it anymore ...its one of the best in the current hatchbacks as Beat Boot is just 190L and all this was done to have comfy legroom and spacy interiors !

Beat and notchy gearbox !! You need to drive one...its geared short but its butter smooth ! Comparable to nice gearboxes on new Swift/Figo

spawnfreak

Adept
Jul 25, 2009
Supra said:
Also Honda City owners what is the all inclusive cost for service charges + consumables for the 1st paid service(15k kms ?) and 2nd paid service(25k kms?). My colleague told he spent almost 9k total on both the services ! Beat total service cost for 3 years is 15~16k !
Also standard warranty is 2 yrs 40k kms now (reduced from 3 yrs 60K) , compared to 3 yrs/1L km on Beat

Dont know how reliable it is ...but check out the maintenance cost of Honda City and Vento :p

Don't know how do you Metroites get looted... voluntarily or bcoz of sheer ignorance!

Today i.e 5th Oct 2011, I got my Honda City's 4th Service (15k kms) done.

Total cost including labour and consumables (engine oil etc) = Rs. 1829 ... beat that!

P.S - In case you need a copy of the bill, I can mail you the same or attach here...

spawnfreak

Adept
Jul 25, 2009
manu1991 said:
I got my service last month. Total 0-/ rs. Beat that.
manu you have a peculiar habit of counter attacking almost each of my post! ;)

by the way, if such is the service cost of city, it can be inferred that Brio's service cost would be pretty much lower.
Also, drove the Brio today, drives way better than the impotent chevy engine and is wayy more spacious.

manu1991

Barely Alive
Skilled
Dec 31, 2007
New Delhi
I apologize if it came across like that.

My mom drives a Honda City. It hasn't had any problems ever. I know Honda makes very reliable cars.

Nobody is disputing that brio is a better car. Read my first post,
My vote for the beat too. I own one and it is an excellent car. If you had honda, maybe i'd have recommended the Brio but if you compare it to the Zen Estilo, its a no brainer.

His problem is not service costs, but availability of a service center. And budget. The middle specced Brio will go over his budget.

His choice is between Zen Estilo and Chevrolet Beat. Simple.

sahib

Disciple
May 8, 2009
spawnfreak said:
my friend, you're totally wrong bout mileage point of the Beat. i-VTEC delivers a lot more fuel efficiency than any other engine anyday. My 1.5 Honda City i-VTEC delivers anything above 19kmpl on d highway and ~14 kmpl in d city. You can wonder the figures of a smaller and lighter car. The Brio would deliver above 21kmpl on d highway for sure and I've 2 beat owners as friends who speak bad about the chevy mileage and 1 of them has sold it and booked a Brio.

Secondly, after the beat diesel's introduction, the petrol beat has taken a big hit and not only the sales, but the resale has taken a huge hit.

So, Brio is a way better option than Beat.

MAte even i own a Honda City Zx 2008 and mine and trust me almost all my cousin have it and neither of us get such high milage.And i stay in gurgaon and dat mens mostly its highway driving.Whereas my Beat 2010 has been doing tremendously well on the average part.

Honda City-12/17 kmpl

Beat-15/19 kmpl (feels a little shaky on the highway).

And i absolutely agree with you on the beat Diesel part.But considering he i looking for a car to last atleast 10-15 years and i doubt if diesel engine would be able to sustain so much.