PC Peripherals small DDR3 slot doubt

amar7

Disciple
Hi,

in my mobo, there are 4 slots for RAM. two blue and two black. right now I have a 2GB on one of the blue slots. I want to purchase one more 2GB DDR3 . Can you tell me where I should fit that?? in the black or blue slots?

Or is it better to get 2 DDR3s which will make a total of 6GB RAM.

thanks

Most likely the color coding of the memory slots is for dual channel support. If you need dual channel support (increased effective memory speed but reduced memory) then you put two identical memory modules in the same color coded slot. In this case amount of memory does not get doubled, rather, speed gets doubled (theoretically because double bandwidth). If you want to increase your memory, then you must put one module in one color slot (say Blue) and other one in the different slot(say black). This forces single channel mode.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Increasing the total RAM to 6GB will not be of help in 32-bit OS, unless you are using 64-bit OS

manoja2k said:
Most likely the color coding of the memory slots is for dual channel support. If you need dual channel support (increased effective memory speed but reduced memory) then you put two identical memory modules in the same color coded slot. In this case amount of memory does not get doubled, rather, speed gets doubled (theoretically because double bandwidth). If you want to increase your memory, then you must put one module in one color slot (say Blue) and other one in the different slot(say black). This forces single channel mode.

Increasing the total RAM to 6GB will not be of help in 32-bit OS, unless you are using 64-bit OS

Thanks a lot for the explanation

So, what do you suggest??? should i make use of "dual channel" buy purchasing 2 new DDR3s? So here, I'll have total 6GB, 4GB will be acting as 2GB since they will be in dual-channel. Hence I can run 6GB (logically 4GB) on my 32bit ubuntu os? Or should I get one new 2GB DDR3 and put it in the black slot....?? in this case i will have total 4GB but no dual-channel?

I am a hardcore PHP coder, and mainly works on Zend framework. So I want to increase the performance of my apache installation... tats it..

What is the best solution ??

thanks !!

Dual channel will only be effective if both the rams have same timings i.e. matching specs and preferably from the same manufacturer. If the rams are not similar then they will work in Dual channel mode with the speed of the lower specced ram.

Ideally you should get a pair of ram sticks so if you can afford it, get 2x4GB=8GB and sell off the single 2GB stick that you have. If that is not possible then try to find a similar 2GB stick as your current one and use them both in dual channel mode. If you go for 3 sticks of 2GB then I think they will work in single channel mode.

Before trying any of the above, check whether your 32-bit Ubuntu and the apps you are using are capable of utilizing that amount of ram. In a 32-bit windows OS only 3GB of ram is supported and there have been instances of certain drivers behaving improperly when the total system ram goes above that limit.

pr0ing said:
Dual channel will only be effective if both the rams have same timings i.e. matching specs and preferably from the same manufacturer. If the rams are not similar then they will work in Dual channel mode with the speed of the lower specced ram.

Ideally you should get a pair of ram sticks so if you can afford it, get 2x4GB=8GB and sell off the single 2GB stick that you have. If that is not possible then try to find a similar 2GB stick as your current one and use them both in dual channel mode. If you go for 3 sticks of 2GB then I think they will work in single channel mode.

Before trying any of the above, check whether your 32-bit Ubuntu and the apps you are using are capable of utilizing that amount of ram. In a 32-bit windows OS only 3GB of ram is supported and there have been instances of certain drivers behaving improperly when the total system ram goes above that limit.

Thanks a lot for the explanation :)

I want to buy 2 pieces of 2GG DDR3 1333 from a TE dealer. I already have a 2GB basic cheap RAM on one of the BLUE slots (I have 2 BLUE and 2 BLACK slots on my mobo) So I am planning to put the new set of RAMs on the two vacant BLACK slots.
So finally I will have once 2gb in a BLUE slot and 2 2gbs of same brand in the two BLACK slots. After that, only one BLUE slot will be remaining.

So, after this setup, will I have 2gb as dual channel and 2gb (old one - in the BLUE slot) as single .... ?

Thanks

Back