Smart Phone advice

hektor

Disciple
Hey just wanted expert advice on buying a smartphone.
My budget is around 30k. What i am looking for is decent battery life, capacitive touch screen, preferably 1Ghz processing speed and internet and music facilities.
i've looked at only 2 phones - the Samsung Galaxy S and HTC Desire. I dont have problems in increasing the budget to around 40k and getting an iPhone 4(16GB) but i don't have any friends or family in the
U.K to get the factory unlocked version available at the Apple store. I've also read that the iphone 4 supports only micro sim and not the regular sim and that i will have to cut my sim into micro sim shape
to get it to work. Reviews say that the galaxy S offers everything that an Iphone can at a lower price.
So i'd some inputs before i decide to buy a phone. Should i go for the Galaxy S or the Desire straight away? Or should i wait for some more time for any new and better phones that are coming up?

Galaxy S v/s Desire is a never ending battle...... ;)

I would suggest u checkout both phones at a store & buy the one u like more.

I like the Sense UI on the Desire more. Build quality of the Desire is also better than the Galaxy. In fact, I am in the process of buying a Desire.... just that the Black colour is not available yet......

So, u see, I have chosen the Desire over the Galaxy...... Personal opinions matter most...... Otherwise, both are excellent phones. :)

go for Droid X , its the best android device till date . The close second is galaxy S , both the device are 4 times better then iphone 4 , with galaxy you get valid warrenty in India .

On the battery front, I can attest the iPhone 4 performs very well. I get 2-3 days of normal use on a full charge. (WiFi, 3G on, lots of app use and also use as an iPod during my commute to work.)

rahul21 said:
go for Droid X , its the best android device till date . The close second is galaxy S , both the device are 4 times better then iphone 4 , with galaxy you get valid warrenty in India .

I would recommend you stay away from Motorola phones as these tend to have no clear future upgrade paths and locked bootloader etc.

E.g. Milestone is still awaiting Froyo even though it was touted as Flash ready phone from the day it was marketed (quite sometime back).

Boot_Comp said:
I would recommend you stay away from Motorola phones as these tend to have no clear future upgrade paths and locked bootloader etc.

E.g. Milestone is still awaiting Froyo even though it was touted as Flash ready phone from the day it was marketed (quite sometime back).
Motorola is one of the first company which ported linux kernel to mobile handset and marketed them successfully . e.g Motorolla ming A1200 ......and its upgrades by community are still available thx to there open policies . When it comes to linux hardware they are best in it , its a reason why Droid X has beaten all the handsets in performace . What you have said is true for Samsung .

Boot_Comp said:
Motorola is better than companies like SE, Samsung and LG when it comes to rolling out updates. HTC and Milestone are two companies rolling out updates at regular intervals. Milestone is waiting for Froyo in India but it's CDMA version is already running Froyo and also, Motorola and HTC phones have very good developer support. Locked bootloader is just going to delay unofficial ROMs but it won't stop people from rooting the phone.

HTC Legend has locked bootloader. If you upgrade the UI to firmware version 2.x, you cannot root the phone. Instead, you have to downgrade the firmware to 1.31 and then root the phone, install non-HTC ROMs. There will always be a way to root a phone.

rahul21 said:
You do realize that the droid X is a CDMA phone and has a locked bootloader apart from the fact that Verizon's phones have the sim built into the phone itself and operate on different bands than others thereby making the phones useless on most networks.

hektor said:
The Desire or the Galaxy S, which one is better ?
I think this thread quite comprehensively covers this question. Do read up first.

http://www.techenclave.com/mobile-phones/htc-desire-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-175175.html

And to put in a nutshell - you can't go wrong with either phone. But they have a few differences. It all boils down to personal preferences. To some people one thing is important, to others something else. The two phones mainly differ on these aspects - build quality, screen size & type, UI, battery(?) IMHO. Now you have to decide which ones are more important to you. To me build quality and UI were more important than having a slightly larger screen and slightly better battery. But there are enough people here to whom the raw processing power and having a .3" larger screen is more important (and there's nothing wrong with that). Moral?: Read the facts and come to your own opinion.

Back