PC Peripherals Smart UPS APC

rocksays25

Disciple
Hi Folks,

I had heard of a smart UPS by APC(I Don't know the VA exactly) . It has a firmware/software bundled with it , which signals the os to put the PC in hibernation mode or rather shuts it down when the UPS goes in backup mode. The problem is that when i went to enquire about it at the well know PC/hardware shops here in pune, they had no inkling or clue about what a smart UPS is , let alone it having a software cd bundled. I checked out the specifications on the APC site . Found out that some card has to be attached to the UPS to actually enable the smart feature in it. I am really confused here as to whether the capability is inbuilt or some add-on is there . :huh: Any help ??

Many UPSes have this feature. They're connected either through serial or USB. You have to install their software on your PC.

Check if the UPS u're buying has a serial or USB port and a software CD. If yes, it probably supports the feature.

@Naga .Hi..Could you please specify some UPS's which provide such kind of a feature..I would like to know, because as far as i know, only APC provide such smart feature capabilties in a UPS.Which other ones you mean??

Well, @rocksays25 I guess i know what you are talking about. Yes this feature is available with APC and other the manufacturers as well. But APC would be a better choice because drivers for APC are preinstalled in Windows. Just plug in the USB cable and configure the settings in "power settings" in windows and would do the trick. I used to do the same for my old torrent machine with a "APC BE500Y-IN". It did a pretty good job of shutting down itself and restarting once the main power is back on. The models that you can choose from are :

APC BE500Y-IN (500VA)

APC BE650Y-IN (650vA)

Well cooling_dexter ..Thanks for the detailed description of the ups..Il be sure to check it out and buy it asap..cause the frequent power cuts r damaging my peripherals..consciously or sub-consciously i know it..I need to keep my pc powered for the numerous downloads that i manage..thanks again :D

My APC SmartUPS does this and it can be configured easily. Even without the APC software installed, the computer recognises the APC as a battery and acts just the same as a laptop would under those circumstances.

So basically any smart ups series from APC would support this feature..i don't need to ask much more..just give me a smart ups from APC huh??

Back