PC Peripherals SMPS Volt Ok ?

uknowme007

Disciple
Hey All..... :D

I had posted this another post with sumthing else :
Rite now I'm usin a local Cabinet and an ADCOM SMPS. The voltage usage these days are as follows :

12 v line = 12.672 v, 5v line = 4.784v, 3.3v line = 3.248v and Vcore = 1.68 v .

But during gaming this is : 12v line = 12.928v ( guess thts -12 v) , 5v line = 4.703 and 3.3v line = 3.12v and Core = 1.696v. :S

:huh: Is this ok ?

Plz reply guyz soooon..... :O

Hey Undertaker,

Undertaker used to be one of my fav wrestlers loooong back !

So how much do u think shud the ideal voltages be ? And wat r the stuffs tht make use of the 2 volt lines ?

Do u knoe whihc line AGP card use and which does onboard sound chip use ?

Tnx

uknowme007 posted 0.83 minutes later:

ANd ur link is not working mate... Y is it tht ?

http://www.techenclave.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4273
The thread was moved so the link changed.Sorry.
Well the rail should not be lower than 4.9v on the +5v line and 3.27v on the +3.3v line(as measured by a good dmm).If ur card has a separate 12v connector,it runs off that line otherwise it feeds off ur mobo's power circuitry which could be 12v(for newer boards) or 5v (for older boards).The sound card always feeds on ur mobo's power circuitry specifically a sound card doesn't consume too much power as it can use only the max. amount allowed by the PCI-Bus.(not to be confused with PCI-E).

Well I think u should buy my SMPS coz I was running it without problem on an A7N8X-X board(I think u have the same board) so u'll get a tried and tested product.Some local 300-350w are uber crap.
Don't think its a sales pitch for my smps-I won't make more a few hundred on it,but eitherway-
1)Buy an antec/powersafe if u'll find them easily.
2)Buy something known to work with your hardware like the smps I have on sale.

Well coz I have got its bigger brother a 450W model.Was kind of an impulsive buy ,as I was searching for a dual-fan smps with a high rating for so long and so jumped at the chance when I saw its bigger 450W brother.
Not to say that the one I have for sale was giving any problem,quite to the contrary,it was working very well.It still has approx. 17-18 months warranty left.

well in that case mine would be way too low..
the motherboard monitoring software shows that the 3.3V is running at 2.9V
the 12V at 11.58 and so on.
everything is below the rated value but still the system never crashed or rebooted unexpectedly.

MIne must be the most pathetic config on this forum....

SMPS 250W
1700+
M7VIG KM266
DDR 512MB
ASUS 5224A CDRW
Quantum Fireball 20GB
Samtron 17"
GeForce2 64MB
FDD

Yeah then u r in for some trouble mate.Not bcoz ur rig is too shabby-it isn't but the voltages u mention are very low.Ur system is on what u can call the 'edge',one or two more devices added and it will topple over ;) i.e start rebooting.Even I ran my system for over an year with a "finex" 350w smps and as soon I plugged in a dvd-rom+a 5700 card reboots and bsods began until I got the 400W colors-it smps which is on sale right now.

Hey Mate....

I am lukin for a dual fan smps with a 12 v rail of 18 + amps.....
Interceptor.....u cud try motherbord monitor 5.5 or even Asus probe....Thts pretty gud !

Cheerz

These values are taken from the official ATX Power Supply Design Guide version 2.2 at:

http://www.formfactors.org/FFDetail.asp?FFID=1&CatID=2

@uknowme007: If you could specify your configuration it would be all the more helpful.

If you refer the above table:

- 3.3v and 5v lines are on the edge.

- 12v line is pretty high. However refer to point (1) in the above table which says voltage regulation for your 12v line could be as much as 10% during peak loading, in which case your 12v line would still be ok.

If its an AthlonXP system, a high 12v line would be understandable (you could add on some case fans which draw off the 12v line to offset the imbalance).

- I'm hoping thats a Palomino core AthlonXP, which has a default Vcore of 1.7v.

@Interceptor: Your 3.3v line and your 12v line is running really low, which means in general your PSU is under-powered. Your rig isnt too power hungry, so you can pick up any decent 300-350W PSU. If you're on a tight budget, even a standard Zebronics would be ok, as you can pick them up for roughly around 300-400 bucks.

Also I must add, motherboard sensors tend to be off by a bit, but yes they tend to present a general idea of what your system is facing.

Now lets clear this up:

- Low voltage would mean instability to your system i.e. reboots , BSOD , etc.

- High voltage on the other hand wouldn't show instability, but it would damage your hardware that runs off that line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its always nice to have ur 12v,5v and 3v lines a little higher than that.This is b'coz apart from the fact that mobo sensors are generally inaccurate i.e. give a lower value than the smps output,they usually measure the o/p at the mobo's vrm(voltage regulator module).Due to the potential drop between the psu wires,the connectors and the mobo circuitry,ur mobo actually recieves a little less voltage than what is o/p by ur psu.(Most of this drop occurs at the ATX-connector contacts).Infact I have came across some guides which suggest soldering the atx-connector to the mobo(!) for this reason.
The A7N8X in particular doesn't have a very good VRM which uses two-phase MOSFET-based design in comparison with the three/four or even six phase solution common now.
Thus on the A7N8X it would be ideal for the psu to give 3% overvoltage for optimum stability.

:D My RiG :D

My sys config is :

AMD XP 2600+ Barton Core (with 333Mhz FSB),
Asus A7N8X-X,
512 MB Kingston K DDR with 333Mhz FSB,
Asus V9520 Magic AGP graphics card with Geforce FX 5200 128 MB,
Samsung dvd drive,
Samsung cd writer,
Samsung 40 gb HDD with 5200 rpm,
Sony floppy drive,
I ball mouse,
I key keyboard,
Usb Canon printer,
Canon scanner,
Logitech webcam,
Mercury 4.1 speakers with 1980 watts,
Ethernet based net connection, :cool2:

Guess thts all, do ask me if u want to know sumthing else too !

Cheerz..... :clap:​

Which is a good software to check the volatges???

My 12V is very less. Like 11.368. At one time, it was 11.1. This is using the Asus PC Probe

Back