Snipping Tool-Vista's Suprise!!

sidhaanth

Disciple
Our Friend Bill Gates never Seems to amaze us!!

i now present a "Snipping Tool"..(Only For Vista)

Snipping Tool lets you take screen shots of your Windows applications or a certain part of the screen. Windows users can now use this powerful application to take screenshots instead of using the old method- Alt-PrintScreen or simply Printscreen.

To Start The Tool
1.Click Start Buton
2.type sni
3.you shall see the magic snipping tool

he Snipping Tool provides the user with many options to take the screenshots. You can get these snipping options by clicking the small arrow alongside the 'New' button. Following are the snipping options:

1. Free-form Snip- This option lets you draw a shape of your choice to take a screen shot. Once the user has drawn the shape & leaves the mouse button the snip is created.

2. Rectangular Snip- As the name suggests, this option lets you create a rectangular selection. Once the rectangle is drawn the snip is created of the area.

3. Window Snip- This option lets you take a snip or a screen shot of an entire window. All the contents of that window will be captured in this snip.

4. Full-screen Snip- This option lets you capture the entire screen area.

Snipping Tool Options:
To change the Snipping Tool options or preferences click on the 'Options' button.

A new window will appear

These options do the following:

1. Hide instruction text- This hides the instruction text, if selected.
2. Always copy snips to the Clipboard- If enabled, it copies all the snips to the Clipboard so that you can paste it in any image editing application and edit as per your requirements.
3. Include URL below snips(HTML only)- If enabled, this option lets you add the link(URL) of address of the website you are viewing in Internet Explorer if saved in MHT/Single file HTML file format.
4. Prompt to save snips before exiting- If enabled, the snipping tool will prompt you to save the snips before exiting.
5. Display icon in Quick Launch bar- If enabled, the Snipping Tool will be displayed in the Quick Launch bar.
6. Show screen overlay when Snipping Tool is active- When enabled the Snipping Tool interface will be hidden while creating a snip.
7. Ink color- Lets you choose the colour of border of the snip.
8. Show selection ink after snips are captured- If enabled, it displays a border in the selected colour on the snip.
Saving Formats:
The Snipping Tool lets you save the snip or screen shot in various file formats. You can save the snips in PNG, GIF, JPEG, MHT file formats.

Tools:

Highlighter Tool:
It lets you highlight certain parts of the snip.
Pen Tool:
It lets you draw and annotate in the snip. You can choose the desired colour of the pen and even customise the tip & thickness of the pen.

Send Snip Tool-
It lets you send the snip as an embedded image or as an attachment.

Eraser Tool-
It erases anything was drawn by the pen tool or highlighted by the highlighter tool.

Source: Narangz: Windows Vista: Snipping Tool

The MS Snipping Tool can be found in Start - All Programs - Accessories too :)

i sure love it more than print screen + ms paint :D

anyways i always used Snag It :p

me as a windows user sure am not tormented day in and day out as i know what to use to not feel tormented ;)

Dark Star said:
So much pain to take screenshot what a pity for Windows user :p Linux has gr8 snapping tools ;) Thnx for the guide though :eek:hyeah:

Eh? It is rather easy to take a screen shot in Windows. I used to find it hell in Linux before (bl### GIMP), though now many distros have a nice integrated function :) which doesn't require the GIMP (GIMP = worst software ever designed by anyone for anything)

Udit said:
me as a windows user sure am not tormented day in and day out as i know what to use to not feel tormented ;)

Well you know...the usual..a crash here,a hang there..a os corrupt there..a virus/spyware here and there...lol,.,.!!

Spacescreamer said:
Err.. i dnt have access to Vista yet.. but dont u mean in the command prompt ??
P.S: Sorry for an eligible self pwned question.. just making sure though :)

In vista, the search bar, also functions as the run box...But wat he meant was wen u put in "sni", The search would hav already found snipping tool...:)
There are no torments in windows, It has its share of problems But thats common in almost all operating systems ever made..More so in linux..:p

atleast for me..

KingKrool said:
Eh? It is rather easy to take a screen shot in Windows. I used to find it hell in Linux before (bl### GIMP), though now many distros have a nice integrated function :) which doesn't require the GIMP (GIMP = worst software ever designed by anyone for anything)

:rofl: ROFL .. IGuess your prt-scn key must be malfunctioning ..Linux has inbuilt snapping tool../ and Gimp is the best open source/free Image Editing s/w..Atleast I don't use pirated s/w like your proud Windows user who even don't have Genuine Windows :p and I can't spend 50k on Image Manipulation tools :bleh: .. Btw/ Gimp has all the gr8 tools just try it ;)

Edit : Though I am not a GFX expert but still I had created a bit by using Gimp

KDE%203d.png
|
Signature.png

Here is a Banner created by myfriend ;)

cigarette_ad.png

Look dude, you like Linux, that is great. But for pete's sake, have some perspective.

Linux has inbuilt snapphing (sic) tool
Note that I said that Linux now does have an inbuilt snapping tool. So you don't need to be supercilious about the whole thing.

Which Windows has had for years.... Alt+Printscreen. It has been there since Win 98 at least... so tell me, how is that difficult to use?

IGuess your prt-scn key must be malfunctioning
Must be your's that has been malfunctioning. As I said, there have been several printscreen key combos for various forms of screenshots (single window only, entire screen, etc).

Atleast I don't use pirated s/w like your proud Windows user who even don't have Genuine Windows
Speak for yourself. Many people on this forum do have genuine Windows... most do in fact.

Gimp is the best open source/free Image Editing s/w
And BTW the GIMP is a POS. And don't tell me otherwise. It has the crappiest UI known to mankind. Just because it the best open source tool, doesn't mean it is worth a damn. The thing sucks, and that is just how it is.

I can't spend 50k on Image Manipulation tools
You don't need to, but I won't argue the point (BTW, the GIMP exists on Windows too).

In case you don't know, I was using probably Linux before you ever heard of the thing (Suse 7.2 with a 2.2 kernel)... and I program the Linux kernel too.... so don't be so antsy.

BTW, you can right click on the snip and have it directly open in your email client (i.e. send to email is available). Pretty convenient if you need to send someone a snapshot of something...

When was the last time that windows BSODed all by itself? Its usually the 3ed party stuff that causes problems. BTW no one has asked you to use the snipping tool. You can use the good old prntscrn+mspaint happyly (which i do).

Also, the snipping has some more features (like freeform snipping) than the prntscrn option.

KingKrool said:
Speak for yourself. Many people on this forum do have genuine Windows... most do in fact.

And BTW the GIMP is a POS. And don't tell me otherwise. It has the crappiest UI known to mankind. Just because it the best open source tool, doesn't mean it is worth a damn. The thing sucks, and that is just how it is.

Speak for yourself

Practise what you preach buddy..GIMP might be a POS for you, but there are lakhs of users out there who are using it and swear by it :)

Chill Krooly :D , Dark Star was just clowning around :clown: .

Btw, I'm wondering how you adept linux users can have such a difference in opinion? Different linux distro maybe :S ??

Wow, a war between Linux users and Windows users???
Anyway, is this snipping tool available in all versions of Vista or just the Premium ones? Can any one with the basic Vista version please confirm this...

Back