Softwares to learn

Hotstuff

Skilled
Hi everyone,
I am free for about 12 days before my college starts( I will be doing CS engg btw). Can you suggest me any software to learn which will help me later on. I am confused about where and how to begin :huh: :huh:
Thanks in advance

u can start learning java.

Use BlueJ IDE to practice coding... will definitely help u in ur college as well as in ur career.

was thinking on the same lines... ok temme a good site which offers tutorials for beginners though i know programming basics as i have done c++ at school

thr are many tutorials in the internet to start off.. but personally..i think "The complete idiots guide to Java" book would be the best to start off..

you can pickup a balaguruswamy book or let us c. Install linux and practice some C programming. labs i suppose will be on stupid Turbo C.

Don't jump on java...have fun with C first.

+1 C and C++ are good platform for starting :) Please don't use Turbo C.. The s/w hasn't been updated with latest Programming terms. Its still uses old methods like .h and all :p

Apart from that you can learn s/w like Blender , Gimp, PS and other :D

U need to be very good in C, C++ to get an entry in software company. That is the most wanted skill..then java

Once you r into s/w comp, then they will put in any stream they like...

If you are good in these 2, then no worries of an ENTRY

First of all learn C and build up your programming skills. Practicing programming in C is best for improving your algorithm and data structure creation and usage skills. When you are doing that, dont just keep on writing simple limited logic programs like an computer address or some thing else thats supposed to teach you the language syntax or facilities. You can learn these specifics of a lanugage anytime, but this is the time for establishing the fundamentals properly. If your fundamentals are strong, you can program in any language with ease.

Try to solve math problems through programs. Learn how to use algorithms and data structures effectively.

Dont just learn how to print Hello World in every programming language ever created. Its not good enough. For the time being, Just concentrate on C.

After you master C, you can learn OOP using C++,Java or any other language.

I have myself interviewed (telephonic) potential candidates for Job openings in our company and I can tell you that I for one do not care whether you can program in Java, C or C++ when one is not strong in their programming fundamentals. Whats the use of learning every little langauge facility when you cannot use that knowledge to solve a problem on your own. So concentrate on that first.

hammerhead said:
Matlab. Its a little unconventional but very very handy.

Matlab is a tool designed to be helpful for some one who is into high level research or analysis task and cannot be bothered to handle every small detail through programming. Basically its a tool to be used by people who already know how to do the task even without Matlab. For ex: you are asked to apply Fast Fourier Transform on some data, a person who does not even understand FFT can simply use the FFT function in Matlab to get the result. But what did he learn in the process? On the otherhand, a person who is working on something big may need to use FFT multiple times in his work, he understands what FFT is, but cannot spend time to write the entire algo for it will just use the FFT function. This is not the best platfrom to start learning fundamentals.

i have done basics of c++ in high school ( 12th), so dont u suggest i should strengthen that.... how is robert lafore for doing c++ as i have it... do you suggest any other book... as in i mean is there a point of going back to c if i have done bits of c++ and know what oops is ???

Hotstuff said:
i have done basics of c++ in high school ( 12th), so dont u suggest i should strengthen that.... how is robert lafore for doing c++ as i have it... do you suggest any other book... as in i mean is there a point of going back to c if i have done bits of c++ and know what oops is ???

In that case, use C++ as your base, but concentrate on developing your core programming skills (algorirhm and data structure development and problem solving) rather than learning more of the langauge syntax or features.

if you think that after reading robert lafore you have learned enough c++, you are wrong. Robert Lafore doesnt even cover the tip of the ice berg.

let me put some of the topics, if you dont know about them, try finding out.

1. STL
2. AVL Trees
3. Boost
4. ever C++ created a project and compiled in VS 2008?

If you have some interest in debugging, I can put some more topics in that area too.

Learn data structures and algorithms. There are many c/ c++ programmers out there but most dont know about data structures and algo.

Maybe starting with C using K&R on a linux machine would be a good start. (To get some understanding on the whole build process).

Biased view - Python would also be a great start :)

Back