Solar or Normal Inverter UPS for my Gaming and NAS PC ?

I currently have a V-Guard DU 1400 PLus Inverter with 2x IT 500 for my home. Since i was running a laptop and NAS , it worked fine. After i installed the new 850W gaming PC , its tripping due to overload.

I need to find a solution faster to save the PC. I also dont know whether to get a solar solution or another normal inverter. The current sinewave inverter has worked nicely all these years , in my home and in my office without any power switching issues.

If solar , what is requirement i should look at ?
If Normal UPS what should be the requirement?

I will be running my 850W Gaming PC (+200W) for future Proofing + NAS PC + two 27" monitors and along with other accessories.

Calculate your peak power draw and ensure the UPS model you're getting supports that. Most of the UPS have a power factor of .6 or .7. So to support 1.2kw peak draw you'll need a 2KVA ups model.

Given the price hikes in EB tarrif , i thought i would go solar. Even my Gaming PC will run almost entirely the full day with me.. :D.. IT does go to auto sleep.. but it will be up most of the time..

downloads are carried out by my NAS though.

This issue might have more to do with the fact that the switching speed of general home load inverters is much slower than that of good UPSs, and less about total load / overload.

Please look into this aspect...

You will need a 8kw(4Lakhs at least) solar plant for a 1.5kw load 24/7 :) with zero units charged from the grid if it was averaged throughout the year.
I am trying to understand your choice for the same.
To go off-grid make that 10kw plant.

Last edited:
You will need a 8kw(4Lakhs at least) solar plant for a 1.5kw load 24/7 :) with zero units charged from the grid if it was averaged throughout the year.
I am trying to understand your choice for the same.
To go off-grid make that 10kw plant.
At 4L for Panels + Batt + Inverter, that is a ~4 year break-even if the actual usage is 1.5kW 24/7 @ ₹9/ kWh. Probably worth it!!!

At 4L for Panels + Batt + Inverter, that is a ~4 year break-even if the actual usage is 1.5kW 24/7 @ ₹9/ kWh. Probably worth it!!!
No battery . That 4L was a on-grid system.
10kw plant with the inefficiencies of the battery. Above 6L for this.
And don't forget to add interest on this 6L of investment. Your break-even goes to 5 years.

What I don't understand is why gaming PC is on at full load 24/7

Last edited:
@Naveen_Reloaded I think it would be better if you run your expensive PC equipments through a 1KVA or higher capacity UPS unit connected to the backup power point which is backed up using a pure sinewave instant switching inverter.

Also, please check your inverter battery float levels and have it topped up to the right level with distilled water. 2 150Ah batteries should provide decent back up on moderate load. If the batteries are quite old get them exchanged for new where you a value each of the 2 units and pay for the remainder.

If the load required at your home is lot more then do go for a 2KVA or higher capacity inverters. For solar, you may ask for quotes from local dealers and get to know how much it would take. I think Govt. subsidy for solar power generation at home is still provided.

No battery . That 4L was a on-grid system.
10kw plant with the inefficiencies of the battery. Above 6L for this.
And don't forget to add interest on this 6L of investment. Your break-even goes to 5 years.

What I don't understand is why gaming PC is on at full load 24/7
Nothing like that , i am just offloading other usages like light , fan etc on the PC.. thats all.

My usage nowadays is anywhere around 8-10 hours. In that 3-4 hours gaming , rest is work related.

I thought i would go anywhere between 2-3KVA solar .. i think its 1L/KVA roughly.. or i might be wrong here.

My question is if breakeven is 5 years , what kind of maintanence cost or other extra cost i should include for say from 6th year onwards or for a total period of 10 years of its lifecycle...

Also add inflation :)
This and currency exchange rate. Unknown custom duties structure in 5 years time, when people start buying electric cars, solar will be taxed for the loss in revenue associated with petrol/diesel in all countries that have taxes on fuels.
Also the labor cost in 5 years time for solar installation will be double. Materials like frame, structure, wires etc are only increasing world over.

Solar was actually cheaper 2 years ago in India then today, due to INR depreciating, sharp increase in international sea shipping rates and taxes.
Even lead acid Batteries that I bought in 2019 are now 1k to 2k more and those are 100% made in India with zero imported raw materials.

So that is why electric cars and solar start paying immediately upon purchase. If you wait 5 or 10 years from now, everything will be expensive including the future golden goose " electricity" for revenue for any government or party .

I was looking at car prices to replace my hatchback, even doubling the budget after 10 years will only get me the same hatch back today, albeit newer generation.

Back