FS: Processor [SOLD] Intel Haswell Xeon E3-1246 v3 for LGA-1150 motherboards (H81, H87, B85, Q85, Q87, Z87, H97, Z97)

sumitlian

Disciple
Expected Price (Rs)
Shipping from
Bilaspur (495001), Chhattisgarh
Item Condition
5 out of 5
Payment Options
  1. Bank Transfer
Purchase Date
Jul 20, 2019
Shipping Charges
Included in cost
Have you provided two pics?
  1. Yes
Remaining Warranty Period
None (This is a locked CPU, you can't kill it ever, technically this CPU will outlive you)
Invoice Available?
No
Reason for Sale
Nothing special.
THE CPU HAS BEEN SOLD OFF.
[SOLD]
New updated offer: 7000/-

Hello this is a CPU: "Intel Xeon E3-1246 v3",
It is a Quad Core Hyperthreaded CPU (4 cores / 8 threads).
It is a Xeon varient of Core i7-4770 but it comes with some special instructions like TSX. I got this imported from USA by my friend last year.

At stock clocks, it has single core turbo of 3.9 GHz.
All core turbo at 3.7 GHz.

Base clock is 3.5 GHz.
I am currently running this on Asus Z97-A motherboard on Debian Linux. Benchmarks included in screenshots are of when I was running Windows 10 64 bit some days ago.
Two photos I included of the CPU was at the time when I was testing this on an another Asus B85M-G board.

With base clock settings of 105.2 in BIOS on Z97-A, I got success in achieving 4.1 GHz on all cores 100% stable (Intel Burn Test stable of up to 6 iterations with 8GB private memory). Temp never went above 78c in summer last I tested. There is probably not even a single game that this CPU can't play at 60+ average fps with a proper graphics card.

Geekbench 5 Windows 10 64 score at 4.1 GHz:
Single-thread: 1083
Multit-hread: 4330

Geekbench 5 Debian 10 Linux 64 bit score at 4.1 GHz:
Single-thread: 1160
Multi-thread: 4708

NOTE:- NO FAN INCLUDED. ONLY CPU WILL BE SOLD!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture) (go to Server section and look under "Haswell E3-12xx")

(PlayStation 3 Emulation, This Xeon model has a very special Instruction set TSX that is used in RPCS3 Emulator, even Core i7 4xxx CPUs don't have TSX in them)

All bechmark in the screenshots are with 4.1 GHz all core overclock.
I certify that all the photos I have uploaded regarding this CPU in this page are explicitly mine. -Sumit

Edit(photo updates): The CPUz screenshot is actually an image file I had saved some times ago, it is from Windows 10 64 bit. But as I have said earlier that I am running Linux and has no Windows 10 partition currently, I can't run CPUz natively on Linux. I have uploaded photo of real-time BIOS showing CPU related information. I believe this is way better than any CPUz.

Edit: The time in the BIOS is UTC (Universal Coordinated Time) and the offset for Indian Time-Zone is "UTC time + 5 hours 30 minutes". This is why it is differing from the time inside the Linux OS. You can see the time of Linux OS (if you can see that in some of the screenshots) and subtract 5 hours 30 minutes from it, you will get to the time shown in BIOS screen (do account for restart time and going-to-the-BIOS time etc :D).

Attachments

• 1_TE.jpg
    1_TE.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 214
  • 2_TE.jpg
    2_TE.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 7_TE.jpg
    7_TE.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 211
  • 8_TE.jpg
    8_TE.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 200
  • 9_TE.jpg
    9_TE.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20201023_130442.jpg
    IMG_20201023_130442.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20201023_131013.jpg
    IMG_20201023_131013.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_20201023_131356.jpg
    IMG_20201023_131356.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_20201023_131453.jpg
    IMG_20201023_131453.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20201023_131812.jpg
    IMG_20201023_131812.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_20201023_131917.jpg
    IMG_20201023_131917.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Sir @aasimenator , I was well aware of the rules. But the product(CPU) is currently in use. CPU cooler is Corsair H70 AIO. Detaching that AIO cooler, cleaning the paste off the surface just to take a photo is a headache, specially when I don't have much CPU paste left to apply after then. This is the most laziest thing you are asking me to do. You can ask for anything by any of the software methods if you're suspicious of the existence of the product. I can post any data about the CPU as in software style.

Sir @aasimenator , I was well aware of the rules. But the product(CPU) is currently in use. CPU cooler is Corsair H70 AIO. Detaching that AIO cooler, cleaning the paste off the surface just to take a photo is a headache, specially when I don't have much CPU paste left to apply after then. This is the most laziest thing you are asking me to do. You can ask for anything by any of the software methods if you're suspicious of the existence of the product. I can post any data about the CPU as in software style.
No need to take off the cpu, just take the screenshot of the cpuz with date & your TE id written on notepad.

Ah, thanks Vishal, that I can do easily! I will also do so for photo of BIOS where CPU related information is shown. Wait some minutes....

Photo updated!
What does this mean "(This is a locked CPU, you can't kill it ever, technically this CPU will outlive you)"
Good question! It means that this is not a CPU that comes with unlocked multiplier like the K series models of i7 or i5. CPU multiplier is locked means you can only overclock this CPU by increasing the base clock which is very limited. And since the multiplier is locked, you can't push this CPU to it's silicon limit. And if you can not push this CPU to it's limit like for example riding Bajaj NS200 at 12000+ RPM or something for 6+ hours or something like that, you can't kill this CPU because the temperature will not be increased due to limited overclocking. Even Increasing the CPU core voltage limit to 1.4 or more like those crazy ass liquid nitrogen guys do, will only make this CPU reach its power limit since the CPU multiplier is locked as I've already said. And all of this means, this CPU on your system will live longer than the human user who is using the system because may be after 10 years probably you'll get bored and will buy a new system instead, by then.

Last edited:
Photo updated!

Good question! It means that this is not a CPU that comes with unlocked multiplier like the K series models of i7 or i5. CPU multiplier is locked means you can only overclock this CPU by increasing the base clock which is very limited. And since the multiplier is locked, you can't push this CPU to it's silicon limit. And if you can not push this CPU to it's limit like for example riding Bajaj NS200 at 12000+ RPM or something for 6+ hours or something like that, you can't kill this CPU because the temperature will not be increased due to limited overclocking. Even Increasing the CPU core voltage limit to 1.4 or more like those crazy ass liquid nitrogen guys do, will only make this CPU reach its power limit since the CPU multiplier is locked as I've already said. And all of this means, this CPU on your system will live longer than the human user who is using the system because may be after 10 years probably you'll get bored and will buy a new system instead, by then.
Hmm so this is a non-K cpu like every other Intel CPU?

Hmm so this is a non-K cpu like every other Intel CPU?
Yes exactly man! This Xeon is a Workstation grade (heavy duty, more stable) of almost exact replica of i7-4771. Base clock speed is faster than i7-4770. And is exactly equal to stock i7-4770K in terms of base and turbo. i7-4770K just has 50 MHz more iGPU clock speed that you can easily increase in BIOS even on Xeon's iGPU. But the major difference is in timing of launch. This Xeon is Haswell refresh that came in 2014 (A year after the original i7-4770K). Haswell refresh were i7-4790, i5-4690 etc.

But TSX instructions has been disabled for all i7s/i5s/i3 whether these are K series ones or non-K series ones. This Xeon has TSX.

Last edited:
Will this be faster then r5 1600 ? I saw one avail for 7k on olx with warranty.
In multithreading performance, obviously Ryzen 5 1600 will be a better choice if you already have a supported motherboard and DDR4 RAM modules. Zen 1 is about ~5% slower in Instructions per cycle in stock clocks but with good DDR4 RAM overcloking, it is definitely as fast as this Xeon even in single thread, if you already have everything else (board + RAM) then you should go for Ryzen 5 1600.

Actually here I am looking for someone who already have one of the aforementiond motherboards (LGA-1150 based), a 4th Generation i3 or Pentium G with at least 8 GB DDR3 RAM and are looking for upgrade. For them, cost of buying a montherboard supporting Ryzen + a Ryzen CPU(Ryzen 5 1600 in this case) + DDR4 RAM will be obviosuly higher than just upgrading their current CPU with this Xeon CPU. And the real world performance difference between those two CPUs is not noticeable. In fact this Intel Xeon actually has higher single thread performance on average if you go by the Geekbench 5 and Geekbench 4 scores. But I have realized that I am not selling it with any cooler and I am expecting from them to already own any supported CPU cooler (even the stock one works great since it's a locked multipler CPU as I've already cleared that up already and it will be good for a little bit overclocking by base clock if the buyer happens to have Z87,Z97 based motherboard), hence I have reduced the expected price by Rs. 500/- (from Rs.8000/- to 7500/-).

Last edited:
Hi
So just wanted to be sure that it would support any motherboard having LGA1150 right? I am having Gigabyte H87M-D3H?
Yes, every single LGA-1150 motherboard support this CPU. Your board perfectly supports this Xeon. You can clearly see that here; in the CPU support list of your Motherboard.

In your case, you just have to make sure you have at least BIOS version F9 already installed before installing this Xeon. I would suggest you to update the BIOS version to the latest that is F11 in your case.

Last edited:
Honestly this is a dead platform and asking for too much. I sold a 1245v3+h97 board for 9k last year. 7.5k for only CPU? That's ridiculous. This is a solid cpu if you are not gaming. If you wish to game, get a ryzen 3100 for a few hundred more and any am4 board. It will be way way faster - almost 50% faster.

Also just fyi RPCS3 has ditched using tsx-ni in the newer releases for its own locking mechanism that is way faster.

Honestly this is a dead platform and asking for too much. I sold a 1245v3+h97 board for 9k last year. 7.5k for only CPU? That's ridiculous. This is a solid cpu if you are not gaming. If you wish to game, get a ryzen 3100 for a few hundred more and any am4 board. It will be way way faster - almost 50% faster.

Also just fyi RPCS3 has ditched using tsx-ni in the newer releases for its own locking mechanism that is way faster.
@Chaos , of course new CPU will be better. But not even remotely close to 50% on average......not even remotely! I'll get back to you on this in detail.
But let's honestly calculate something. Why would you recommend "any" AM4 motherboard in Q4 2020 when Zen 3 is about to be launched within a month or something and Zen 3 is expected to work only those kind of old motherboards that have at least B450 chipsets? Why would you want anybody to go for "any" AM4 socketed board then? Aren't you yourself deceiving them to go for a dead platform at the end of the year 2020 since they won't be able to take advantage of any CPUs in terms of significantly higher IPC (15%+ range) if they buy "any" AMD4 motherboard, specially when the buyer will have to replace all three main things; the motherboard + the CPU + the dual channel RAM because single channel isn't good for both Ryzen or Intel in highly multithreaded games (also, you need 16 GB for modern games).
Also, Ryzen CPUs don't show their real competitveness unless they are being used with 3000+ MHz RAM speed. I think I can advise better than you on this.
Let's choose the cheapest parts...
.B450 board - I found one used on olx at 4500/-
.Can't find the used one; New Ryzen 3 3100 - 8400/- (deltapage)
.let's not go for 3000+ MHz RAM; take the cheapest 2400/2666 MHz DDR4 RAMs (dual channel) - 2250 * 2 = 4500/- (deltapage), this is probably the worst DDR4 RAM in terms of memory timings and it probably won't overclock without having to increase the latency to even worse places. If you run a Ryzez 3 3100 on these set of crappy RAMs, you are not going to get the experience as shown in most YouTube videos about the Ryzen 3 3100 (most are with 2800+ or 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM).
Total is 17400 + take the shipping Rs. 300 (randomly) = 17700/- minimum. If the buyer has time for all of this and can manage to sell their current system; whatever they are using now; at a specific price and can add in more from their pocket that is equal to at least 17700/- then yeah they are always free to do so.

Also, I am selling him at 7000/-, not 7500 (Now I have re-updated the price).

Now you are boasting about gaming performance being "way way faster - almost 50% faster". You mean on average, right!? You should have controlled your blood pressure on this while writing that. Because I am going to destroy that claim as in real world gaming. I have seen 10s of pages of videos on Xeon E3 vs Ryzen 3 series CPUs; about hundreads of them, I've been watching them sinc elike two months(including those when the CPU was not exact match but it was similar in performance) and have never encountered two games where the performance was remotly 50% better. In most games, the Ryzen 3 3100 is only 5 to 25% faster on average and that is with a GPU of highest grade like 2070S, 1080 Ti, or 2080 Ti and alike. But yes there is an exception, and that is CSGO (Counter Strike GO), that is the only game where Ryzen 3 is definitely 40%+ faster (in max fps at least) than a Xeon E3 1230 v3 (And this is the 100 MHz slower variant of the Xeon I am selling here) but the fps were already above 110+ on both CPUs and that is well above playable on both systems. Only a profession gamer who earns money from gaming care if the fps is reaching 250+ fps or not and even then they will not be buying Ryzen 3 3100, they will be buying 10900k in a heartbeat. If the buyer is not using that kind of high end GPU already in their current system the performance differenece will be even lower with the mid-range GPUs (almost negligible).

Most people use mid-high range GPU and there is hardly any difference between any system since last decade if you use any i7 from 2nd generatin to 6th generation to any Ryzen up to Zen 2. This is the real world performance man. I pity you had to sell your system that cheap because that doesn't make sense much unless you happen to that guy who uses 1080 Ti class GPU, when you compare your CPU (that you have sold) vs Ryzen 3 3100 in gaming.

Since not many people seems to own 1246 v3, you can't find the exact comparion of it with 3100. here is 100 MHz slower Xeon E3 1246 v3, aka Xeon E3 1230 v3.
Ryzen system is running with 3000 MHz DDR3 RAM that is expensive and we haven't calculated for that in our above system. If a buyer does go for that above 3100 I calculated for him, he will likely not have that much of a good experience as shown in the following video because they will need better RAM. And we're not even sure if that cheapest motherboard B450 woud actually be able to do that (not a guarantee).
(don't look at the title of the video, it has Xeon E3-1230 v3 as well.
Xeon E3-1246 v3 is almost equal to the i7-3770K in clock speed. But the Xeon has AVX2 that i7-3770K doesn't have, hence the Xeon will be overall faster in moder games. Here a comparition of 3100 with old 3770K.
11.png

13.png

14.png

16.png

17.png

18.png

Last edited:
@Chaos , of course new CPU will be better. But not even remotely close to 50% on average......not even remotely! I'll get back to you on this in detail.
I'm not even going to bother retorting to that wall of text. Nor did I ever mean 50% faster in games. Here's a simple case of how much faster a 3100 is:

Cinebench R15 ST: Ryzen 3100 - 179, Xeon 1245 v3 - 151 (~16%)
Cinebench R20 MT: Ryzen 3100 - 1019, Xeon 1245 v3 - 731 (~30%)

Geekbench 5: Ryzen 3100 - 4865, Xeon 1245 v3 - 3311 (~32%)

Source:

Also in certain accelerated tasks like unzipping, it will be well over 50% faster.

Also since your 1246 can't be overclocked, you should be comparing it with a320 boards since those are cheap. The cheapset ones cost ~3400-3500.

Add 2*8GB DDR4 3200 for 6k minus bank discounts. You have a brand new PC that kicks intel ass every day of the week with future upgrade paths open to higher core count CPUs.

In comparison, both DDR3 and 1150 boards are very poor dead end products which will probably cost the same.

Finally - forgot this one earlier, let's not get into the number of unpatched hardware flaws that exist in haswell. Be aware there are no fixes to serious issues like zombieload and certain other speculative execution flaws on these old CPUs.
Board makers never bothered to update their bioses.

Last edited:
Back