Soldering tools and essentials

mallik

Adept
Hi,

3 Sansa Clip / Clip + have died on me in the past 6-7 months. I took them to some electronics guys in Mumbai, but to no avail. The players just stop functioning, not coming on and not getting recognized by USB

Now I have decided I will do the simple modifications by myself. I found the following link on Rockbox: SansaAMSUnbrick < Main < Wiki

Here to enter the recovery mode, I have to do some soldering and enter rudimentary code in Linux. The first thing I did was install Linux on my new laptop. Now the next step is to do soldering. I have done some soldering at a shop when I was in high school, but still would want to know what tools the pros feel are essential.

Some suggestions for the Clip + were to leave it idle for a week and try rebooting it after that as the battery runs out completely. After that will try this unbricking method.

So please let me know what tools I require.

For now I feel I should at least get these (Pleae suggest models / brands that I should get):

1. Soldeing Iron
2. Soldering wire
3. Multi meter
4. Soldering stand
(5. Solder cleaning sponge ?)

Thanks

Mallik

I think you will need a SMD Soldering gun(SMD = Surface Mount Device).

And since SMD chips are very heat sensitive, you will have to be careful while messing around with it. You may burn a chip.

Why dont you ask the shop that you gave the media player to, to try that unbricking method. Since they are experts in soldering, chances of burning something by mistake is low.

If you don't have much experience in using a soldering iron, please use it with caution preferably under the supervision of someone who knows how to use it.

Apart from damaging the chips/board of the Sansa, you might hurt yourself if you are not careful.

I learned the hard way few years back... My soldering iron slipped from my hand and dropped on the floor... I hurriedly moved my chair and while getting up, stepped on the iron!!! :O

The burns hurt a lot and the pain is excruciating. I couldn't walk properly using the burnt foot for quiet a few days... :cry:

go to kabadi and purchase old electronics part.. desolder stuff from boards and solder them back..good enough for practice and cheap as well. will stabilize the shaky hand too :)

Yeah I don't intend to start off straight away on the Sansa :). Still have the chance of it rebooting after the battery runs itself out. I'll look for the 15 W thin solder iron tool. I should be able to get it in Lamington right? And play around with it on some junk circuits.

Any multimeter suggestions? Also for the flux core solder wires - any particular brands that I should look for? Any special stand / sponge to keep the iron in so that it doesn't burn things unnecessarily?

The unbricking method involves flashing the player by entering some code in Linux, so I don't think those guys can help me with it. Plus I want to learn how to do it. So its the perfect opportunity - I have nothing to lose. I am getting a spare Sansa clip + anyways :)

Thanks guys

Back