Solved: Onboard NIC missing from Network Connections

dil3ep

Disciple
I had some problems with my Nvidia nForce Networking Controller. The controller was working fine, but the on board card was not showing up in Network Connections...i.e my Local Area Network icon in Network connections was missing. :mad:

I am using a XFX 650i mobo, and have seen many people with P5NE-SLI and A-Bit AN8-SLI motherboards also face this problem. After browsing thru numerous forums and threads, i came across this post at Nvidia Forums which finally helped me solve the problem.

I thought i'll post it here so that it helps people who are in the same boat as me.

Run Regedit to edit your registry
Go To : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Notice that I have sent you to 4D36E972
You should see that you have others, very similarly named, but open the 72 entry
You will see a number of directories surrounded by squiggly brackets {xxx}. Under each one, you will find a folder called Connection. Open each Connection folder in turn, and look for a registry key called Name (see my screen shot called regkeys.jpg, which is showing a good entry).

The Name key MUST be type REG_SZ

If it is anything else, it is incorrect. In my registry, I had 5 other entries, all with connection folders, all with hex values listed as the type for the Name Key. At this point, if you are feeling nervous, right click on Network, and choose Export. Save yourself a .reg file named anything you like so that all you have to do is double-click on it to restore what you had before.

If you are feeling brave, delete all entries which don't have a correct Name value. What I mean here is to delete the complete folder and any subfolders underneath the 72 directory which have bad name keys. That should leave you with only a few good ones, one of which will be called "Local Area Connection". You will also likely have another called "1394 Connection.

Just leave any entry alone if the name type is REG_SZ.

Now reboot. Ta-dah! You now have correct icons in your Network Connections folder.

Hope this helps. Here is the link to the complete thread over at Nvidia Forums:
NVIDIA Forums -> Onboard NIC missing from Network Connections
:hap2:

Back