Storage Solutions Some Doubts regarding blank DVDs

nj_gamer

Adept
Hi,
I recently went to S.P road(Bangalore) and bought some SONY DVDs for 13/- each
I wanted to verify whether they are fake or not, so i used a couple of software(DVDInfo Pro and DVD Identifier) and they gave the following info:

Manufacturer Name: Sony Recording Media Co.
Manufacturer ID as SONY16D1

Well i was happy they weren't fake. Anyways i was curious to find out the manufacturer ID of some DVDs i bought for 8 bucks,they had the name NATIONAL on them. and when i ran the 2 identifying softwares,they gave the same info as the SONY DVDs as shown above.
So i was wondering if the DVDs are Original or not since the manufacturer ID was the same.
Regards

All Sony branded DVDs are made by Mose Baer in India
So, if the packing reads MII (Made in India) its certainly made by MBI

They are good, but not great media to use. Dont use them for archival purpose

Yes, MBI uses the media code 16D1 for Sony's
Certain generic brands like National also uses the same MediaID for compatibility purposes

If its branded SONY and Made in Japan - then its Grade A and best quality.
If its branded SONY and Made in India - then its not fake/ but of normal quality

Then which company DVDs do i use? why shouldn't they be used for archival purposes?I mainly use it for storing data files and staking them up.won't use them for a long time

nj_gamer said:
Then which company DVDs do i use? why shouldn't they be used for archival purposes?I mainly use it for storing data files and staking them up.won't use them for a long time

AFAIlK, Moser Baser makes average quality discs - so not recommened for long term storage or for important data

If u need best media, go for Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden, which are not available in India at retail
So best option would be to ask any contacts in US to bring it else buy from KMD (TY) or 200mph (Verbatim) in the GO's

Just wondering, what are the reasons for them being bad?i mean the data is verified succesfully after burning, so what are the reasons for them being bad?Does the data vanish after a period of time?

moserbaer pro dvds have worked very very well for me over the years

out of about 200 dvds i copied on my hdds, there were only 3 bad discs (all of them 1-3 years old)

nj_gamer said:
Just wondering, what are the reasons for them being bad?i mean the data is verified succesfully after burning, so what are the reasons for them being bad?Does the data vanish after a period of time?

DVD dye that holds data disintegrates.

or what u could do is is store your dvd's in plastic envelopes like i do it helps in maintaining the life of the dvd a lot although nothin can be done much abt their quality the only other option is to go for brands like verbatim and taiyo yudens

Back