Security Software Some handy antivirus utilities

Last week I somehow managed to get my PC infected with a virus (my first one in about 1.5 years i think :) )

NOD32 went haywire on detecting the virus as Win32 Virut (and another one...dont remember the name now) and kept showing a new Virus alert every 2
seconds .
A bit of searching informed me that this one affects all the .exe and .scf files on the PC and NOD32 cannot clean it!

So after disabling NOD32 (it just kept prompting me to delete every .exe file that existed on my pc), and doing some more research found some stuff :

Removing any WIn32 virus on your PC

Every time if your computer get infected with a win32 virus ... you search for a

removal tool for that specific virus...

Now the search is over. Just download this tool..

APP:

Code: Select all
http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/tsc/sysclean.com

and download the latest definition file from here
named--> lpt*.*

Dats:
Code: Select all
Trend Micro

HOW TO:
Create a folder and put the sysclean file in there and extract the definition file into the same folder.

Now just double click the sysclean.com and clean every virus from your system

including registry entries...

A total clean system..

If you want a dos pccillin scanner then just download the pccillin interner security

Antivirus & Content Security Software | Securing Your Web World: - Trend Micro USA

And, install it in win98. then make a rescue disk.... the second disk contains the dos mode scanner....
Just copy all the files into a folder and put the new def files in that folder.. and burn the folder.. now u have the dos mode scanner.
its faster and reliable
And if U want to find any more free removal tools, for that stubborn problem nasty bug:

Google search .. enter this exact ..with the quote marks

"Free Removal Tools"

You'll get links to every free removal tool. Also many free scanners, anti spyware, anti trojan etc
The above method worked partially for me, because it found some files, but after enabling NOD32 again, the virus alert window became a common sight once more.

So back to google, and this time I found a solution that worked.
Dr. Web's Cure it tool.

It is a mere 7mb standalone tool, that scans your PC
and it was the ONLY tool that managed to detect and CURE all the Win32 infections on my PC (some 2k+ .exe's infected :S )

Home Page : Dr.Web CureIt! – download free anti-virus! Cure viruses, Best free anti-virus scanner!
Direct Download : ftp://ftp.drweb.com/pub/drweb/cureit/cureit.exe

So guys use these tools in case your PC is infected. If these are still not helpful, then we have the good old format :)

PS : cannot post the source of the trend micro thing as it violates the boards rules and regulations i think.

Back