CPU/Mobo Some P55 based MBoards doesn't support 8x-8x on both PCIe slots?

sh@sh!

Adept
Hi guys, i'm about to buy a P55 based rig (tomorrow) and I came across this article, is it true??

Motherboards experts please reply fast as i'll be buying a board tomo.

The article also says that no Gfx card uses the full x16 bandwidth available.

I'm not thinking of a xfire setup but if the news is true then i think there is no harm in upgrading the setup with another gfx card both running at x8 in future.

I also wanted to ask how much will be the performance degrade if I make a xfire setup on two x8 lanes.

Please please reply guys...:(

Dude, please mention the board you've planned of buying. Multi GPU at x8 will cripple the performance by around 10-15% for mid-high end cards. Lesser or no bottleneck for low end ones and higher for enthusiast level cards.

^^ i was thinking of a UD2 but now my mind is shifting towards ASUS P7P55D EVO. :(

I saw the benchmark, the difference is around 1-2% but I guess in real world it is not noticeable.

Whoa, in some benchmark, I had seen the GTX 275 getting bottlenecked by around 10%. Anyway x8-x8 is not a bad one. BTW, avoid buying asus boards as the after sales support in India for asus is the worst..

PS: How can one get 95% performance at x4? Is there some error in those benches?

^^
Any lane operating a x4 link width will cause hampering and bottle neck. x8 x8 is fine. You would loose 10-12% performance. Again depends on the GPU(s) you are deploying in conjunction with the resolution, i.e. would Xfire actually reach its apex due to render requirement.

Also the link which the OP has mentioned is not reliable cause:

1. Using legacy drivers -- at least for ATI.
2. Windows Vista 32 BIT [why] + 6GB RAM [double Y]
3. Showing single VGA performance.

See these two articles. Try not compare nVidia vs. ATI, but see the X58 Multi-GPU vs. the P55 Multi-GPU. This way they force a x8 x8 lock- on to x16 x16. Hope it helps

Article 1.
Article 2

Though both above also have old drivers, but its the scaling we want to see.

Back